• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Victoria is facing a public-safety crisis

It just gets better and better…

How charming...

“What I’ve heard [from neighbours] is the girl was screaming for some time.”

He failed to address 'catch and release' for 5 years as Sol Gen. It will be interesting to see if he can deal with it as Premier:

Les Leyne: Eby eyes 'profound' crime intervention​

Left hanging in the air is the point that he was minister responsible for it over five full years.

If he’s not taking a serious look at paying for a bunch more courts, judges, prosecutors, and support staff, and funding significantly more inpatient mental health treatment, anything else will be meaningless.

flame thrower fire GIF
Cleanse by fire...oops, inside voice...

Does VPD have POUs?
So I’ve managed one tent city and assisted a municipal agency with dismantling one as well,

In general there is no required process but in a general sense you don’t use public order- especially in their helmeted full gear until it’s escalated. You will be viewed as the enemy, dehumanized and you will escalate things waaaaay up, and invite assault- have the public and courts turn on you. You have to wander through a series of stages until they PROVE it’s necessary. And is what happened in the municipal assist,

In my former I had to assign teams of officers to bylaw…social services…blah blah blah.

I know you guys are being a little tongue in cheek- but police operations have a heavy psychological lean to them- both to perception of the public AND to those being policed. It’s a constant balancing act of being portrayed as capable
And strong but also kind and empathetic. Sometimes too far one way and the other, they can’t lean on these camps just because of that event, all it will be is an eye opener to those planning the visits to them- as it becomes complacent routine because there will be dozens of calls that day

So her being killed doesn’t really give permission to dismantle the camps- especially by force. Especially given the courts saying the camps are allowed to exist

Last edited:
@Booter, tracking. 👍🏼 My question was more about whether Victoria even had the thought or will to deal with the end of the spectrum, appreciating that there remains some space and actions between Bylaw-officer only, and up, engagement of such situations. (Vice go in, foot stomping and baton/shield tapping in unison to sweep the ground….yet).

@Booter, tracking. 👍🏼 My question was more about whether Victoria even had the thought or will to deal with the end of the spectrum, appreciating that there remains some space and actions between Bylaw-officer only, and up, engagement of such situations. (Vice go in, foot stomping and baton/shield tapping in unison to sweep the ground….yet).

Meanwhile, last Friday:

Car stolen, stabbing and hit-and-run part of crime spree Friday night in Victoria​

Police are looking for surveillance video to sort out a series of crimes, which took place just before midnight Friday.

Somehow, I was under the impression Victoria was where Canadians go to retire.

Oh how I wish exile was still a option for these chronic criminals. Imagine if we could just kick them out, instead of them clogging up the justice system and harming those around them.

The Conservatives should figure out how many people have been killed by individuals on parole/catch and release since Bill C75 was enacted and lay the body count at the Liberals feet. Would likely make a good talking point for the media.

Oh how I wish exile was still a option for these chronic criminals. Imagine if we could just kick them out, instead of them clogging up the justice system and harming those around them.

The Conservatives should figure out how many people have been killed by individuals on parole/catch and release since Bill C75 was enacted and lay the body count at the Liberals feet. Would likely make a good talking point for the media.
To which the response is that the province(s) are driving this problem through ill-considered mishandling of mental health patients and services, leaving the police, courts, and various corrective services and institutions handling issues for which they are the next best, but by no means well-suited, match.

Getting the should-be-institutionalized out of the criminal system should clean up most of the problems, and allow better identification of those faults with e.g. C75 that are actually structural, rather than owing to using a system meant for mostly rational criminals to handle people whose view of reality doesn't match baseline.

"Profound" interventions earlier in the cycle of life may alleviate tomorrow's problem. Won't do anything about today's. Either we tolerate people doing as they please, or we restrain them.
John Howard Society enters the chat

There has never been an inmate that the JHS has not loved and thought we - the gaolers - are all psychopaths and brutes.

Now some tw@t in Winnipeg says by dismantling camps on the Leg grounds shows "a lack of empathy".

Hey Mr Expert where is the empathy for the victims of crime?

Now I'm wondering what happens if I decide I need what the guy took from me more than he does and take it back...

Back