• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Presidential Election 2024 - Trump vs ??? - Vote Hard with a Vengence

Here's your summary. Including how the left edited by omission.

Acknowledging Snopes as a reliable source? Some here call that a left-wing propaganda machine, but between that and the other fact checkers, they balance each other out.
Rightish think tank? What is that? Since this is your description, where did you get the proof of this?
As for the AEI, here's what Encyclopedia Britannica says ....
American Enterprise Institute (AEI), a private nonprofit American institution of research founded in 1943 by American industrialist Lewis H. Brown. One of the oldest and most-influential think tanks in the United States, it supports limited government, private enterprise, and democratic capitalism ... From its founding the AEI played a prominent role in politics in the United States, and people affiliated with the organization have served in influential government positions. Its influence grew stronger during the administration of Pres. George W. Bush, in which Dick Cheney, an AEI member, served as vice president of the United States
I wouldn't exactly put the bits in yellow on the left side of the political spectrum, would you? ;)
...Our Scholars

AEI scholars are committed to making the intellectual, moral, and practical case for expanding freedom, increasing individual opportunity, and strengthening the free enterprise system in America and around the world. Our work explores ideas that further these goals, and AEI scholars take part in this pursuit with academic freedom. AEI operates independently of any political party and has no institutional positions. Our scholars’ conclusions are fueled by rigorous, data-driven research and broad-ranging evidence.
If we go by self description alone, here's what a think tank associated with the Democrats has to say about itself ....
... we believe America should be a land of boundless opportunity, where people can climb the ladder of economic mobility. We believe we owe it to future generations to protect the planet and promote peace and shared global prosperity. And we believe an effective government can earn the trust of the American people, champion the common good over narrow self-interest, and harness the strength of our diversity ...
... versus what, say, Wikipedia has to say
The Center for American Progress (CAP) is a public policy research and advocacy organization which presents a liberal viewpoint on economic and social issues.
The president and chief executive officer of CAP is Patrick Gaspard, a former diplomat, organizer, and labor leader, who served most recently as the president of the Open Society Foundations.[3] Gaspard succeeded Neera Tanden, who was appointed special advisor to President Joe Biden in May 2021. Tanden previously worked for the Obama and Clinton administrations and for Hillary Clinton's campaigns running for President.[4] The first president and CEO was John Podesta, who has served as White House Chief of Staff to US President Bill Clinton and as the chairman of the 2016 presidential campaign of Hillary Clinton.[5] Podesta remained with the organization as chairman of the board until he joined the Obama White House staff in December 2013 ...
As for this ....
... Where is the Democrat bashing threads? ...
I didn't realize this was a Democrat love-in thread. I thought this thread is about the election campaign overall, dealing with both Team Elephant and Team Donkey - didn't know it was specifically bashing just one side or another. Nobody's stopping anyone from taking issue with anyone in the U.S. electoral horse race as long as it's within the rules of political discussion here.
Certainly there are plenty of mispeaks, verbal gaffes and outright lies we could apply your rules to, in their cases.
Lotsa cases to apply those to all over, for sure!

Last edited:
Lots of new revelations of Hunter Biden's attempt to use the office of the VP to influence business with Burisma. Also some new revelations about DOJ's handling of Biden's classified document scandal. The DNC must be now be positioning for a 25th amendment removal of Biden.

Lots of new revelations of Hunter Biden's attempt to use the office of the VP to influence business with Burisma. Also some new revelations about DOJ's handling of Biden's classified document scandal. The DNC must be now be positioning for a 25th amendment removal of Biden.
No one is going to 25th him, unless they think it will give Harris a major boost.

Given the history the MSM has with publishing campaign leaks, I can’t disagree with his statement
This one looks like great fun. Once again a script has flipped. Some of the people who argued that it was anywhere from unpatriotic to treasonous to employ materials leaked by hackers working for a foreign adversary (Russia) in 2016 must be sorely tempted, even though another foreign adversary (Iran) is allegedly involved. The newer standards of 2020 (laptop, Russia, we won't talk about it) will be tested.

The disadvantages of publishing (bombastic accusations of treason, risk of publishing something which can or might be false) have to be weighed against the advantages (is there anything really new and inflammatory to be revealed).

At least the materials can always serve as a guide: things to look for.

Proverbial advice: Never take what your enemy offers.

No one is going to 25th him, unless they think it will give Harris a major boost.
No-one is going to 25A him because Harris can't be the president for almost 3 months and expect to hide behind a facade of fluffed appearances. They need Biden to take whatever heat the administration still has to take.

Acknowledging Snopes as a reliable source? Some here call that a left-wing propaganda machine, but between that and the other fact checkers, they balance each other out.

As for the AEI, here's what Encyclopedia Britannica says ....

I wouldn't exactly put the bits in yellow on the left side of the political spectrum, would you? ;)

If we go by self description alone, here's what a think tank associated with the Democrats has to say about itself ....

... versus what, say, Wikipedia has to say

As for this ....

I didn't realize this was a Democrat love-in thread. I thought this thread is about the election campaign overall, dealing with both Team Elephant and Team Donkey - didn't know it was specifically bashing just one side or another. Nobody's stopping anyone from taking issue with anyone in the U.S. electoral horse race as long as it's within the rules of political discussion here.

Lotsa cases to apply those to all over, for sure!
Snopes had the most info I could find in one spot for you. I'll also note, that I don't think they made a determination, just compiled the info. Not bad for Snopes, compared to their normal fare. I still think a lot of their decisions are heavily weighted to the left. I figured I'd get feedback about their stance/ bias and my use as a source. But like I say, they had the best compilation I could find to give you the most info.

As they are not a source I've used before, nor will likely again, the status of AEI's left/right bias is almost immaterial to me. Their website says they are neutral, someone else says not. Opinions.

I acknowledge your other whataboutisms. However, none of it pertains to the original question of whether Trump said he is a dictator. And what he meant. You have the full info of the exchange. You can decide to believe what you wish.

:salute:

This one looks like great fun. Once again a script has flipped. Some of the people who argued that it was anywhere from unpatriotic to treasonous to employ materials leaked by hackers working for a foreign adversary (Russia) in 2016 must be sorely tempted, even though another foreign adversary (Iran) is allegedly involved. The newer standards of 2020 (laptop, Russia, we won't talk about it) will be tested.

The disadvantages of publishing (bombastic accusations of treason, risk of publishing something which can or might be false) have to be weighed against the advantages (is there anything really new and inflammatory to be revealed).

At least the materials can always serve as a guide: things to look for.

Proverbial advice: Never take what your enemy offers.
So, to confirm, you’re agreeing that everything should be published?

And to @Fishbone Jones ‘s point about think tanks, most US think tanks have a slant - they are being paid by someone to publish those papers. Wiki has a pretty good list of the big ones in the US and their leanings.

I wish they would. Then we could see Harris implement her current talking points before the election. 😉
So would I, but not in the way you think.

It would turn the non-base voters even more against the GOP for pushing something unrelated to the election months before the vote, against someone who isn’t even running anymore. Internally, it’d split the GOP focus on Harris/Walz.

So yes - please do.

I don't care. Sure, publish away. In general I believe voters have a "right" to more information, not less - about all candidates - and that politicians have a duty to expose their views and professional journalists (if there are any) have a duty to expose weaknesses, inconsistencies, nonsense, and incoherent or ruinous policy along with wisdom and good policy ideas.

What interests me is whether anyone will stick to whatever principles they laid down in 2016 and 2020.

Democrats and their supporters watched four years of increasingly difficult efforts to conceal Biden's cascading decline vanish in not much more than thirty minutes of speaking time. They won't let that happen again, and I expect them to complement the mix of concealment ("politicians don't have to explain themselves" has suddenly become a popular explanatory point) and fluff (promulgating whatever public relations material the Harris campaign provides) with the exact opposite of whatever they can bring to bear on the Trump campaign (digging deeply and negatively).

It would turn the non-base voters even more against the GOP for pushing something unrelated to the election months before the vote, against someone who isn’t even running anymore. Internally, it’d split the GOP focus on Harris/Walz.

So yes - please do.
25A is something Democrats have to do by themselves, to themselves. Are you thinking of impeachment?

Interesting.

He said that he was “in support of OEF”, but “sent in there [by that I assume VAC] with OEF and OIF Veterans…”

His wiki (with links to various news outlets) say that his 9-month deployment to Vincenza, Italy in 2003-2004 is in support of OEF. That tracks if the NG unit he was in was deployed to Italy under OEF mandate, but not specifically to Afghanistan. Kind of like the RCN getting the SWASM but not anywhere near Afghanistan, or the folks in Camp Mirage getting the same.

Further, just because MH is an important topic for me, while I’m sure Vincenza is better than Kandahar, there’s a non-zero chance that his troops would have had some mental health issues while on deployment. A nicer location doesn’t mean that MH issues don’t occur.

So the post isn’t entirely correct by alluding that Walz said he was deployed “to Afghanistan”.

Harris is campaigning in Maryland today. Harris and Biden are both at the same event to announce a new Medicare drug purchase policy. She has been trying to distance herself from Biden. policy. She had a chance to put her footprint on this and start laying out her vision and policy going forward. Instead, she introduced Biden after her word salad preamble and introduction of attendees and let him ramble and own her campaign event. She gave him the room, relegating herself as the MC and fawning over Biden and sucking up to donors. Effectively side stepping having to own it or having to speak about policy....again, as her handlers keep her from the mic and cameras and speaking on anything substantial.

She owns and shares responsibility for every policy laid out and implemented over the course of this presidency. She can't hide or distance herself from this either. This is hermedicare drug program.

Harris is campaigning in Maryland today. Harris and Biden are both at the same event to announce a new Medicare drug purchase policy. She has been trying to distance herself from Biden. policy. She had a chance to put her footprint on this and start laying out her vision and policy going forward. Instead, she introduced Biden after her word salad preamble and introduction of attendees and let him ramble and own her campaign event. She gave him the room, relegating herself as the MC and fawning over Biden and sucking up to donors. Effectively side stepping having to own it or having to speak about policy....again, as her handlers keep her from the mic and cameras and speaking on anything substantial.

She owns and shares responsibility for every policy laid out and implemented over the course of this presidency. She can't hide or distance herself from this either. This is hermedicare drug program.

I would argue that this is his Medicare drug program, since he’s still the President until Jan 2025. It would be weird for the President not to talk about it.

But yes, she should have let him talk about his program, then pivot off that to her campaign talking points. But I can also see backlash to that saying that she hijacked the current admin’s presser to campaign about the next election.

And to @Fishbone Jones ‘s point about think tanks, most US think tanks have a slant - they are being paid by someone to publish those papers. Wiki has a pretty good list of the big ones in the US and their leanings.

I think I made it pretty clear that I really don't care about their leanings. Especially if it is an opinion piece.

So yes - please do.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Back