• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University Training Plan NCM (UTPNCM) 2005 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's open out here in Edmonton, I'll try and post it for you

University Training Plan for Non-Commissioned Members (UTPNCM) 

The following is a brief overview of the major points regarding the UTPNCM program.  For more detailed information one should consult CFAO 9-13.  This web page is intended for general information only, where any perceived discrepancies exist between this website and CFAO 9-13, the CFAO shall be deemed to be correct as it is the CF authority.

Open:  BPSO deadline 30 Sep 09

The purpose of the UTPNCM is to develop selected candidates for service as career Officers in the Regular Force.  It is stressed that the UTPNCM program is intended only for those who have displayed personal qualities and job performance indicative of Officer potential. 

The UTPNCM is first and foremost an officer production program, with academic upgrading included as part of the plan.  Academic upgrading can consist of up to four years of study to pursue an undergraduate degree.

Once selected for subsidization under the UTPNCM program, candidates will attend Basic Officer Training prior to the start of their first year of studies. 

Upon completion of the first year of studies candidates will normally attend a summer of Second Language Training (unless already bilingual). 

Subsequent summers after the second, third and fourth year of study are spent conducting the Phase training appropriate for the candidate's Officer MOC.

Candidates selected for UTPNCM will be given the rank of Officer Cadet while undergoing training and will be promoted to 2Lt upon graduation from university.

Minimum Eligibility Requirements
An applicant must be able to complete all academic training and obligatory service prior to the end of their IE contract (25 years service).  Normally 4 years of study would incur 5 years of obligatory service.  Therefore a member would need at least nine years left in their contract from the commencement of academic studies; or phrased another way, a member would not normally be able to have more than 11 years in the CF prior to commencement of studies.  It should be noted, however that those who have already completed a year or more, of university will require less subsidization and incur less obligatory service. Therefore, depending on the amount of studies completed to date, a member may be able to apply even if they have more than 10 years in service.  For more information on obligatory service, refer to DAOD 5049-1.  If you have questions on whether you have enough time to apply please contact the PSO office.

An applicant must have successfully completed a minimum of two full credit university courses or their equivalent. Community college courses designated by the college as university transfer courses, or accepted by a university as such, are acceptable in meeting eligibility requirements. Credits granted for other training or experience do not count towards meeting this eligibility requirement

An applicant may not normally possess a baccalaureate degree.  If an applicant does possess a degree they should consult the Special Commissioning Plan on this site, and  (CFAO 9-70).  In certain cases where an applicant possesses a degree that is not relevant to their intended Officer MOC they may apply for a waiver and apply under UTPNCM. (i.e. if an applicant has a Bachelor of History degree but is seeking sponsorship under UTPNCM to become a Nursing Officer.) Applicants with specific questions should consult the PSO.

An applicant must be of the Corporal rank (substantive) or above by the closing date of the competition.

An applicant must meet the minimum medical category of their desired Officer MOC.

An applicant must be able to provide proof of application to a civilian university.

An applicant must choose a course of study that is relevant to their desired Officer MOC as per Annex A to CFAO 9-12.

http://edmonton.mil.ca/1asg/asu%20web/bpso/PersSel/UTPNCM.asp

Hope it helps!

Hi guys,

I have searched and searched and have not been able to find the answer I have been looking for.

I have a degree in Finance and am eligible to do DOE but chose to join as an NCM (Combat Eng) for my first contract.  I would like to eventually switch over to an officer role some day as I get a little older.  Is it an easy transition with a degree already complete? 

Thanks,

James

That all depends on what you consider "easy."  If you mean can you just say "I'd like to be an officer now" and have your career switch tracks, then the answer is "no".

Selection for commissioning as an NCM is determined by the various regulations that control each plan.  At a minimum, you would need to be supported by your unit chain of command to be considered, and have to undergo interviews by a Personnel Selection Officer to determine suitability (similar to the CFRC interview requirements) and possibly retake the CFAT to confirm suitability for commissioning in the desired trade.

There are a number of threads which discuss in detail the options for NCM vs. officer career paths and the various issued associated with expecting to switch from NCM to officer once serving.

Polski said:
Hi guys,

I have searched and searched and have not been able to find the answer I have been looking for.

I have a degree in Finance and am eligible to do DOE but chose to join as an NCM (Combat Eng) for my first contract.  I would like to eventually switch over to an officer role some day as I get a little older.  Is it an easy transition with a degree already complete? 

Thanks,

James

Why would you join CF with a finance degree? Why not investment Bank?

matwxx said:

Hi Matt, A little about myself.  I used to work as a Hedge Fund Accountant,  the finance world is just not for me.  I was sick of helping the rich get richer.  I didn't like the idea of doing something so meaningless IMO.  I am enlisting in the CF so that I can have an opportunity to help others here in Canada as well as around the world.  If I can help make a difference in someone else s life, that makes a huge difference in my life.  It's not about the money, the glory, etc... It's about me and what I want.

Michael O'Leary said:
That all depends on what you consider "easy."  If you mean can you just say "I'd like to be an officer now" and have your career switch tracks, then the answer is "no".

Selection for commissioning as an NCM is determined by the various regulations that control each plan.  At a minimum, you would need to be supported by your unit chain of command to be considered, and have to undergo interviews by a Personnel Selection Officer to determine suitability (similar to the CFRC interview requirements) and possibly retake the CFAT to confirm suitability for commissioning in the desired trade.

There are a number of threads which discuss in detail the options for NCM vs. officer career paths and the various issued associated with expecting to switch from NCM to officer once serving.

Thanks for the reply!

matwxx said:

Why would you join the CF with a Aircraft Maintenance Engineer diploma?  Why not Air Canada?

PMedMoe said:
Why would you join the CF with a Aircraft Maintenance Engineer diploma?  Why not Air Canada?

Air Canada is not hiring junior positions. But there's always high demands in I-Bank or finance industries, even tho the global is experiencing a financial crisis.

In the interest of avoiding the pending dogpile - bring this thread back on topic (NCM to Officer), or I will lock it.

There are other threads for discussing the relative merits of different employment options.

Roy Harding
Milnet.ca Staff

MJP,

I have searched the forum and still have a few lingering questions.  I will send you a PM shortly.  Thanks for the response.

Rowshambow,

Thanks for the info.  I can't access the DWAN presently but will check out as soon as I return from leave.

Cheers,

--
UB

Hi all.

I was wondering: presuming all other factors are good enough for me to get signed, would there be any pressure upon me to become an officer if I already have a university degree? I don't really want to go the officer route(at least not initially).

I also took the practice CFAT on the Canadian Forces website and got every question correct. I don't know if this is representative of the real test, but I was wondering if a good score will factor into things either as far as speciality is concerned. I'm most interested in NCM Infantry or Military Police. Considering Intelligence Officer, but it's a third choice.

I really don't mean to sound cocky or anything. Being hired obviously isn't even a sure thing, and right now I'm not even fit to lick the boots of anyone who has done a tour. But I'm just curious as to whether they frown upon people taking an MOS that they superficially appear to be "overqualified" for. It won't impact my decision, but I've heard about recruiters being very aggressive about things like this.

Make it clear to the recruiter that you would prefer to be a NCM, you shouldn't have an issue after that. It may come up in the interview, but they won't turn you down for being "overqualified". I know quite a few people that have degrees or diplomas as NCMs.

BTW... MOS is American. You are picking a MOC (Military Occupation Code), or MOSID (Military Occupation Specialty ID or something).

Well educated (degreed) NCM applicants are more common than you think. Most of these applicants are looking to gain the military practical experience by being hands on and not be employed in a management role to start with. It doesn't matter what the recruiter tries to "guide" you to you should process for what you want. After all it's still your choice.  If after you gain experience you decide to become an Officer it will be less of a challenge for you if your degree is applicable to your MOC choice.

Thank you both. I didn't expect to get rejected on that basis, but I'd just heard a friend rant about getting drilled by his recruiter for "not utilizing his background effectively." It sounds like there wouldn't be an issue brushing that off and fitting in, though.

I also appreciate the correction about the code. The person who I've spend the most time chatting with about military matters is an American MP, so I guess I need to brush up on the terminology a bit before I make an *** out of myself at the recruiting office. Got two years of schooling left while I can study the Forces.

:salute:

By the way, I love the signature quote, CFR FCS.

Have you considered reserves while you are in school? This would give you excellent insight for making a future decision, based on experience rather than other people's preferences

I would love to be in the Reserves and have looked into ways to accommodate doing so, but it isn't feasible for me at the moment.

Keep in mind, depending on the area you live in, there may also be a Air Reserve unit, or Naval Reserve unit. Their trades and courses may potentially better fit your circumstances. There are many threads discussing these topics and more people here willing to assist in answering your questions.

**Edit to add: Naval Reserve has Intelligence Officer MOC. There may be other trades which you had not considered with ARAF or NavRes.

Thanks, kratz. I'll explore that further as well as stick around here for any questions I might have. Seems like a supportive and knowledgeable community.

I just want to chime in here and explain what it is we do. I can understand your friend saying he was "drilled" by a Recruiter. As a parent I understand that sometimes it seems like we are "drilling you" The recruiter may have tried to explain the differences between Officer and NCM. Sometimes we do get wordy on this because most people we talk to have no idea what the difference is. Of course if you have a degree and you want to be an NCM we will respect your choice but bare in mind that its our job to make sure you are well informed of all your options. Just so you know that if you are looking at a trade that directly relates to your degree you MAY be able to enrol as "semi-skilled " as opposed to "unskilled". It does have some benifits if accepted.  Look into it. Also there is always "Direct Entry Officer" (DEO) You can apply in your last year of university. (sorry couldn't resist)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back