• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University Training Plan NCM (UTPNCM) 2005 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chernoble said:
Same here. Got it this morning and am now wearing a thin little blue stripe instead of three chevrons and a leaf.  Cheers to new roads!

Congrats and good luck in your future endeavours.

But now the important question: did you have to buy your way out of one mess, and into another?  :cheers:

mizzenmast said:
Well! Congratulations! As one of the long tenured members of the UTPNCM forum I am glad for you. You my friend are certainly proof that perseverance pays off.

I am glad to see you get in, I was sad to see that after waiting together for a response in 2013 that you weren't picked up the next year like many of us who didn't make the cut our first year out.

I wanted to publically say thanks for the advice, and that it was about time you had your shot.

Thanks! I really appreciate it!  It was a long haul but I'm finally here and looking forward to school and the challenges that lie ahead.

I'm curious if anyone has the statistics (rough or exact) for how many people apply for UTPNCM every year vs. how many are accepted?

In other words, if it was a random roll of the dice, what % are accepted?

statzcom said:
I'm curious if anyone has the statistics (rough or exact) for how many people apply for UTPNCM every year

Varies from year to year as application is a personal choice.

statzcom said:
how many are accepted?

Also varies from year to year.  This is dependant on the SIP for the classification they are seeking.

I was looking into the Special  Commissioning Plan for NCM'S. I've been in the Army for 2 1/2 years and have my basic trade courses finished. I read in a previous post you have to be a Cpl or higher, is this true? I'm a Gunner(Private) still. I have a completed degree that is registered on my MPR. I just wanted to know if any one on here has done the Special Commissioning and what to expect.

Arty39 said:
I just wanted to know if any one on here has done the Special Commissioning and what to expect.

This may help,

Special Commissioning Plan (SCP)
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+scp&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=d1UyVvL9EOPE8geQr4_IBw&gws_rd=ssl

mariomike said:
This may help,

Special Commissioning Plan (SCP)
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+scp&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=d1UyVvL9EOPE8geQr4_IBw&gws_rd=ssl
Thanks, I searched the forum and saw the current thread but didn't see that one. It has a lot more info.

Arty39 said:
Thanks, I searched the forum and saw the current thread but didn't see that one. It has a lot more info.

You are welcome.  Good luck!

Arty39 said:
I was looking into the Special  Commissioning Plan for NCM'S. I've been in the Army for 2 1/2 years and have my basic trade courses finished. I read in a previous post you have to be a Cpl or higher, is this true? I'm a Gunner(Private) still. I have a completed degree that is registered on my MPR. I just wanted to know if any one on here has done the Special Commissioning and what to expect.

Pay a visit to your Unit Orderly Room and ask for a copy of CANFORGEN 144/15.

The deadline to apply for ACSO, Plt, AEC and MPO is 15 Dec 15.  For all other available occupations it's 15 Jan 16.

To be eligible to submit an application for the SCP, you must be a minimum of QL3/DP1 qualified and already possess the relevant undergrad degree applicable to your occupation of choice.  There are NO rank or time in minimums other than reaching OFP (ie; QL3/DP1).

Good luck!

DAA said:
Pay a visit to your Unit Orderly Room and ask for a copy of CANFORGEN 144/15.

The deadline to apply for ACSO, Plt, AEC and MPO is 15 Dec 15.  For all other available occupations it's 15 Jan 16.

To be eligible to submit an application for the SCP, you must be a minimum of QL3/DP1 qualified and already possess the relevant undergrad degree applicable to your occupation of choice.  There are NO rank or time in minimums other than reaching OFP (ie; QL3/DP1).

Good luck!
I have all the paper work printed out and filled out for the most part. Just need to look more in depth into a few trades. Then send it up the COC.

Can someone please explain why there are more positions for UTPNCM than SCP for the same trades?

Wouldn't it make sense for it to be the opposite as the CF has to pay for schooling for the UTPNCM person and the SCP person would be Trained Effective Strength faster than the UTPNCM person.

http://cmp-cpm.mil.ca/en/support/military-personnel/dpgr-index.page Look under Production Reports then SIP Scorecard FY 15/16 spreadsheet

I tried the BPSO but could not get a clear answer.

I applied for 3 trades for UTP-NCM, first 2 require Air Crew Selection.

I just got a message to attend Air Crew Selection.

1-) Does this mean I already merited for UTP-NCM and if I pass ACS, I will be offered a position? OR Does everyone get Air Crew Selection and board sits after?

2-) If I am not successful at Air Crew Selection, will I be considered for my 3rd choice?

Thanks

MasterInstructor said:
I tried the BPSO but could not get a clear answer.

This may help,

UTPNCM 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/106920.225.html
10 pages.

Perhaps this thread can be merged into the UTPNCM mega-thread for future reference.

So this CANFORGEN came out last year stating that UTPNCM/SCP candidates who were MCpls would no longer be promoted to Lt as they were just being promoted to 2Lt and had to spend a year then promoted to Lt as candidates who were Sgts would still be promoted to Lt and they wanted to differentiate due to the Sgt's leadership experience. 

If you look at the pay grade of a MCpl 4 Spec 1 ($5856), and then push it over to the next pay grade in 2Lt ($6025) as would happen with the commissioning than that is greater than going from MCpl 4 Spec 1 to Lt ($5885) which would be the next pay grade in Lt.  It seems that by enacting this CANFORGEN it actually benefits the MCpl more to be a 2Lt first then be an Lt a year later by virtue of the pay scales.  If you look into it even further the 2Lt and the Lt will be at the same pay after one year as the 2Lt gets promoted.

Does this appear to be correct? 

Below is the CANFORGEN.

CANFORGEN 077/15 CMP 038/15 151759Z APR 15
RANK AND PROMOTION UPON COMMISSIONING FOR IN-SERVICE COMMISSIONING PLANS, REGULAR FORCE
UNCLASSIFIED

REF: A. CFAO 9-13, UNIVERSITY TRAINING PLAN NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS (UTPNCM)
B. CFAO 9-70, SPECIAL COMMISSIONING PLAN (SCP)
C. CBI 204.211(10), OFFICER CADET, FORMER NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBER
D. CANFORGEN 051/15 TIME IN RANK REQUIREMENTS FOR PROMOTION UNDER THE SPECIAL COMMISSIONING PLAN
E. CFAO 11-6, COMMISSIONING AND PROMOTION POLICY - OFFICERS - REGULAR FORCE

THE PURPOSE OF THIS CANFORGEN IS TO ANNOUNCE A POLICY CHANGE REGARDING THE RANK ON COMMISSIONING FOR NCMS COMMISSIONED UNDER THE UTPNCM AND SCP AS SPECIFIED IN REFS A AND B RESPECTIVELY

AS A RESULT OF CLARIFICATION FROM THE DIRECTORATE OF PAY POLICY DEVELOPMENT, IT IS NOW APPARENT THAT CHANGES MADE TO CBI 204 IN PREVIOUS YEARS HAVE PROVIDED THE NECESSARY VESTED RIGHTS TO PAY FOR NCMS WHO COMMISSION UNDER REFS A AND B. PREVIOUSLY THESE PLANS ACHIEVED PAY PROTECTION THROUGH GRANTING SIMULTANEOUS PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF LT/SLT FOR AN NCM WHO HELD THE RANK OR APPOINTMENT OF MCPL/MS OR ABOVE. CHANGES TO THE PAY STRUCTURE FOR AN OFFICER WITH FORMER SERVICE AS AN NCM (REF C) HAVE RENDERED THESE PROMOTION PATTERNS UNNECESSARY. THEREFORE, THE RANK ON COMMISSIONING FOR THE PLANS IDENTIFIED AT REFS A AND B WILL BE AS FOLLOWS:

NCMS HOLDING THE RANK OR APPOINTMENT OF MCPL/MS AND BELOW WILL BE COMMISSIONED IN THE RANK OF 2LT/A/SLT AND REQUIRE ONE YEAR IN THAT RANK IN ORDER TO BECOME ELIGIBLE FOR PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF LT/SLT. FOLLOWING PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF LT/SLT, THEY WILL BE REQUIRED TO SERVE A MINIMUM OF TWO ADDITIONAL YEARS TO BECOME ELIGIBLE FOR PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF CAPT/LT(N), AND

NCMS HOLDING THE SUBSTANTIVE RANK OF SGT/PO2 AND ABOVE WILL CONTINUE TO BE COMMISSIONED IN THE RANK OF 2LT/A/SLT WITH SIMULTANEOUS PROMOTION AS SPECIFIED IN REFS A AND B. THIS SIMULTANEOUS PROMOTION IS INTENDED TO RECOGNIZE THE LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE WHICH A SENIOR NCO BRINGS WITH THEM ON COMMISSIONING. THOSE OFFICERS PROMOTED SIMULTANEOUSLY TO THE RANK OF LT/SLT ON COMMISSIONING WILL CONTINUE TO BE REQUIRED TO SERVE A MINIMUM THREE YEARS IN THAT RANK TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF CAPT/LT(N)

THE CHANGE DESCRIBED AT PARA 2.A BETTER REFLECTS THE UNTRAINED STATUS OF MEMBERS IN THE NEW OFFICER MILITARY OCCUPATION AND HARMONIZES THE RANK ON COMMISSIONING FOR UTPNCM AND SCP WITH THE COMMISSIONING FROM THE RANKS PLAN. PAY PROTECTION FOR FORMER NCMS ON COMMISSIONING CONTINUES TO EXIST UNDER REF C AND IS NOT AFFECTED BY THIS POLICY CHANGE

THE CHANGE DESCRIBED AT PARA 2.A DOES NOT PRECLUDE THE SIMULTANEOUS PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF LT/SLT OF A UTPNCM OR SCP OFFICER COMMISSIONED IN AN OFFICER MILITARY OCCUPATION FOR WHICH COMPLETION OF A BACCALAUREATE DEGREE FULFILS THE OCCUPATIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF LT/SLT. IN SUCH CASES, THE MEMBER IS REQUIRED TO SERVE THREE YEARS IN THE RANK OF LT/SLT TO BECOME ELIGIBLE FOR PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF CAPT/LT(N)

THIS CHANGE TO THE RANK ON COMMISSIONING FOR MCPL/MS APPLIES TO NEW APPLICANTS ACCEPTED UNDER THE UTPNCM AND SCP BEGINNING WITH THE 2016 COMPETITIONS. IT DOES NOT APPLY TO THOSE MEMBERS PREVIOUSLY ACCEPTED AND SERVING UNDER REFS A AND B, WHO WILL CONTINUE TO BE PROMOTED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TERMS STATED IN REFS A, B AND D

THE ABOVE POLICY DIRECTION IS TO BE INSERTED INTO THE APPROPRIATE POLICY INSTRUMENTS AND REFERRED TO IN DMCPG COMPETITION CANFORGENS. IT WILL BE CAPTURED IN FORTHCOMING NEW DAODS FOR THE UTPNCM AND SCP

ENQUIRIES REGARDING THE APPLICATION OF THIS POLICY SHOULD BE DIRECTED THROUGH THE CHAIN OF COMMAND TO DPGR 4-5

So this CANFORGEN came out last year stating that UTPNCM/SCP candidates who were MCpls would no longer be promoted to Lt as they were just being promoted to 2Lt and had to spend a year then promoted to Lt as candidates who were Sgts would still be promoted to Lt and they wanted to differentiate due to the Sgt's leadership experience. 

If you look at the pay grade of a MCpl 4 Spec 1 ($5856), and then push it over to the next pay grade in 2Lt ($6025) as would happen with the commissioning than that is greater than going from MCpl 4 Spec 1 to Lt ($5885) which would be the next pay grade in Lt.  It seems that by enacting this CANFORGEN it actually benefits the MCpl the same to be a 2Lt first then be an Lt a year later by virtue of the pay scales.  If you look into it even further the 2Lt and the Lt will be at the same pay after one year as the 2Lt gets promoted.  How does this really benefit a Sgt aside from getting an extra half bar as an Lt.

Does this appear to be correct? 

Below is the CANFORGEN.

CANFORGEN 077/15 CMP 038/15 151759Z APR 15
RANK AND PROMOTION UPON COMMISSIONING FOR IN-SERVICE COMMISSIONING PLANS, REGULAR FORCE
UNCLASSIFIED

REF: A. CFAO 9-13, UNIVERSITY TRAINING PLAN NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS (UTPNCM)
B. CFAO 9-70, SPECIAL COMMISSIONING PLAN (SCP)
C. CBI 204.211(10), OFFICER CADET, FORMER NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBER
D. CANFORGEN 051/15 TIME IN RANK REQUIREMENTS FOR PROMOTION UNDER THE SPECIAL COMMISSIONING PLAN
E. CFAO 11-6, COMMISSIONING AND PROMOTION POLICY - OFFICERS - REGULAR FORCE

THE PURPOSE OF THIS CANFORGEN IS TO ANNOUNCE A POLICY CHANGE REGARDING THE RANK ON COMMISSIONING FOR NCMS COMMISSIONED UNDER THE UTPNCM AND SCP AS SPECIFIED IN REFS A AND B RESPECTIVELY

AS A RESULT OF CLARIFICATION FROM THE DIRECTORATE OF PAY POLICY DEVELOPMENT, IT IS NOW APPARENT THAT CHANGES MADE TO CBI 204 IN PREVIOUS YEARS HAVE PROVIDED THE NECESSARY VESTED RIGHTS TO PAY FOR NCMS WHO COMMISSION UNDER REFS A AND B. PREVIOUSLY THESE PLANS ACHIEVED PAY PROTECTION THROUGH GRANTING SIMULTANEOUS PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF LT/SLT FOR AN NCM WHO HELD THE RANK OR APPOINTMENT OF MCPL/MS OR ABOVE. CHANGES TO THE PAY STRUCTURE FOR AN OFFICER WITH FORMER SERVICE AS AN NCM (REF C) HAVE RENDERED THESE PROMOTION PATTERNS UNNECESSARY. THEREFORE, THE RANK ON COMMISSIONING FOR THE PLANS IDENTIFIED AT REFS A AND B WILL BE AS FOLLOWS:

NCMS HOLDING THE RANK OR APPOINTMENT OF MCPL/MS AND BELOW WILL BE COMMISSIONED IN THE RANK OF 2LT/A/SLT AND REQUIRE ONE YEAR IN THAT RANK IN ORDER TO BECOME ELIGIBLE FOR PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF LT/SLT. FOLLOWING PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF LT/SLT, THEY WILL BE REQUIRED TO SERVE A MINIMUM OF TWO ADDITIONAL YEARS TO BECOME ELIGIBLE FOR PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF CAPT/LT(N), AND

NCMS HOLDING THE SUBSTANTIVE RANK OF SGT/PO2 AND ABOVE WILL CONTINUE TO BE COMMISSIONED IN THE RANK OF 2LT/A/SLT WITH SIMULTANEOUS PROMOTION AS SPECIFIED IN REFS A AND B. THIS SIMULTANEOUS PROMOTION IS INTENDED TO RECOGNIZE THE LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE WHICH A SENIOR NCO BRINGS WITH THEM ON COMMISSIONING. THOSE OFFICERS PROMOTED SIMULTANEOUSLY TO THE RANK OF LT/SLT ON COMMISSIONING WILL CONTINUE TO BE REQUIRED TO SERVE A MINIMUM THREE YEARS IN THAT RANK TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF CAPT/LT(N)

THE CHANGE DESCRIBED AT PARA 2.A BETTER REFLECTS THE UNTRAINED STATUS OF MEMBERS IN THE NEW OFFICER MILITARY OCCUPATION AND HARMONIZES THE RANK ON COMMISSIONING FOR UTPNCM AND SCP WITH THE COMMISSIONING FROM THE RANKS PLAN. PAY PROTECTION FOR FORMER NCMS ON COMMISSIONING CONTINUES TO EXIST UNDER REF C AND IS NOT AFFECTED BY THIS POLICY CHANGE

THE CHANGE DESCRIBED AT PARA 2.A DOES NOT PRECLUDE THE SIMULTANEOUS PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF LT/SLT OF A UTPNCM OR SCP OFFICER COMMISSIONED IN AN OFFICER MILITARY OCCUPATION FOR WHICH COMPLETION OF A BACCALAUREATE DEGREE FULFILS THE OCCUPATIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF LT/SLT. IN SUCH CASES, THE MEMBER IS REQUIRED TO SERVE THREE YEARS IN THE RANK OF LT/SLT TO BECOME ELIGIBLE FOR PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF CAPT/LT(N)

THIS CHANGE TO THE RANK ON COMMISSIONING FOR MCPL/MS APPLIES TO NEW APPLICANTS ACCEPTED UNDER THE UTPNCM AND SCP BEGINNING WITH THE 2016 COMPETITIONS. IT DOES NOT APPLY TO THOSE MEMBERS PREVIOUSLY ACCEPTED AND SERVING UNDER REFS A AND B, WHO WILL CONTINUE TO BE PROMOTED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TERMS STATED IN REFS A, B AND D

THE ABOVE POLICY DIRECTION IS TO BE INSERTED INTO THE APPROPRIATE POLICY INSTRUMENTS AND REFERRED TO IN DMCPG COMPETITION CANFORGENS. IT WILL BE CAPTURED IN FORTHCOMING NEW DAODS FOR THE UTPNCM AND SCP

ENQUIRIES REGARDING THE APPLICATION OF THIS POLICY SHOULD BE DIRECTED THROUGH THE CHAIN OF COMMAND TO DPGR 4-5

How it was explained to me (i was a MCpl 4 spec 1) is that you dont automatically go to the next higher pay incentive upon promotion to 2Lt/Lt. I was told that I would continue at my current rate of pay until I reached an officer level that was higher.
Since Ill be promoted to Lt and then 3 years later, Capt, I really wont get a pay increase until I hit Capt.
This may be wrong I dont know, just what I was told.
Hopefully a grad of the utpncm program will chime in

I'm in the same boat for SCP.

From DGMC:

Important Dates:
•Selection Board - January 2016
•Offers - April 2016
•Posting Message - TBD
•COS Date - APS 2016

So it is likely the boards have sat, and favourable candidates have ASC offers.

Having done this last year:
Everyone who is found suitable from the BPSOs interview will attend ACS. If you pass your file will go to the merit boards for pilot. If you fail, your file will go to the merit boards for your other chosen trades. In reality the board wont sit for another few months. The key dates really dont mean anything.

mariomike said:
This may help,

UTPNCM 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/106920.225.html
10 pages.

Perhaps this thread can be merged into the UTPNCM mega-thread for future reference.
Should merge this one up Mike.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back