• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. Politics 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting view from The Guardian

Fire and Fury? Maybe Donald Trump is only just getting started
Matthew d'Ancona

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/07/fire-fury-donald-trump-michael-wolff-book

Were I running a modestly sized whelk stall, let alone the White House, the very last person I would allow behind the scenes to observe and report on its secrets would be Michael Wolff.

Please understand: the author of Fire and Fury, the book that has rocked Donald Trump’s presidency, is a brilliant journalist. Having commissioned and edited his work in the past, I can vouch for his terrier-like pursuit of the truth and his diffident charm when handling his subjects.

That’s precisely why no remotely competent adviser would have given Wolff a backstage pass to the working life of a president who knew nothing about politics or policy, had expected (even wanted) to lose, and had no intention of reining in his blowhard, bullying persona. It says so much about the amateurism of the team around Trump that Wolff was allowed to be, in his own words, a “constant interloper”. The very existence of this book by this author tells a story in itself. It is a case of form perfectly matching content.

Of course, we are all beneficiaries of this spectacular failure to exercise due diligence. Do not be distracted by those who are scouring the book for minor errors. The big story is what matters, and Wolff has nailed it.

For a start, he has scotched once and for all the nonsensical claim that we should take Trump seriously but not literally. The figure described in Wolff’s pages is indeed an arch fantasist, but also capable of more or less anything. He cannot comprehend that firing the FBI director James Comey will compound his problems (“He doesn’t necessarily see what’s coming,” was the laconic reaction of Steve Bannon, formerly his strategy director, now his mortal enemy). Trump talks often of sacking Robert Mueller, the special counsel investigating his connections with Russia.

The president’s staff struggle in vain to keep him from making wild threats against North Korea. On his Marine One helicopter, he tries to rationalise membership of the Ku Klux Klan. He is literal-minded in the manner of a toddler – with the difference that, as he warned Kim Jong-un in a tweet last week, he has a nuclear button.

The milieu described by Wolff more closely resembles the court of a crazed medieval monarch than a traditional West Wing. Access is all, faction is all, expertise is eclipsed by animus. Bannon, Reince Priebus (until last July his notional chief of staff), his son-in-law Jared Kushner, his daughter Ivanka, and others, vie with scant dignity for the role of gatekeeper and high chamberlain. Bannon calls Ivanka “a fucking liar” in front of her father – who only remarks: “I told you this is a tough town, baby.”

At times, Trump roars in the manner of the world’s stupidest King Lear, as Ivanka stumbles behind him, a clueless Cordelia. Bannon makes a fine Iago, alongside a rep company of useless aides rotating as Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

The trouble is that the metaphor is not really a metaphor. Essentially, Trump has annexed the presidency to the world of show business, the starring role of a performance career that has stretched from the WWE ring via numerous film cameos to the Oval Office. He perceives the public as an audience consuming entertainment rather than a civically engaged electorate.

Not surprisingly, the book has turbo-charged the allegation that the president is experiencing psychiatric problems, or is suffering from a neurological disorder.

This is sensitive terrain: there are few qualified clinicians in the political and media class, and none who have examined Trump professionally. Yet the president himself has made his psychiatric condition an issue by insisting – again, via Twitter – upon his “mental stability” and claiming to be “like, really smart” (a verbal formula that undermines the very point it is trying to make). It is fair to assume that a person who feels the need to claim he is “a very stable genius” is no such thing.

One is reminded of the (possibly apocryphal) story about an early campaign by Lyndon Johnson, who instructed his team to allege his opponent had a taste for bestiality. “We can’t get away with calling him a pig-fucker,” said his campaign manager. “Nobody’s going to believe a thing like that.” To which Johnson replied: “I know. But let’s make the son of a bitch deny it.” By denying he is mad, Trump has given the claim the widest possible circulation.

Wolff has performed a significant democratic service by quashing definitively the always-ridiculous notion that Trump would be “normalised” by office.

But alas, I do not share the author’s confidence, expressed on the BBC’s Today programme, that “we will end this presidency now”. To remove a president from office, the House of Representatives must vote to send the case to the Senate – where the US constitution requires “the concurrence of two-thirds of the members present” for a conviction. The alternative route is the 25th amendment, which allows vice-president Michael Pence and the other 15 cabinet members to declare Trump “unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office”.

The constitutional means are there. But is the political will or the arithmetic? True, the 2018 mid-terms may change the balance of power in Congress. Bannon could be right that the Russia scandal is all about money laundering and will provide Mueller with a “path to fucking Trump”.

But, for now, there is little evidence of a taste for impeachment, or a readiness to put the interests of the republic first.

It is even less likely, at least at this stage, that Trump’s executive appointees, led by Pence, will depose him. The 25th amendment is only half a century old, and has never been invoked against the wishes of the incumbent president. Does anyone seriously believe that Trump, declared psychiatrically or neurologically incapacitated by his own cabinet, would shuffle meekly from office? Such a threat would trigger all his most brutal attributes: his belief that the establishment is against him and his proven ability to mobilise great swathes of the American electorate in a common hatred of Washington. Now, that really would be fire and fury.

Which leads to the most alarming contemplation of all: that, far from decaying into seething obsolescence, this president may just be getting started; and that Wolff’s book, for all the mania it reveals, might only describe the first, appalling stage of a journey into the wasteland.

• Matthew d’Ancona is a Guardian columnist

< snip > investigations into Hillary and her associates.

She has not held political office since early 2013.

The statute of limitations on most federal felonies is five years.

What is the worry? That she might run for town council?

PPCLI Guy said:
An interesting view from The Guardian
"Which leads to the most alarming contemplation of all: that, far from decaying into seething obsolescence, this president may just be getting started; and that Wolff’s book, for all the mania it reveals, might only describe the first, appalling stage of a journey into the wasteland."

Wolff himself admits much in his book was made up. ;)

http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-wolff-note-says-he-doesnt-know-if-trump-book-is-all-true-2018-1

Wikileaks has uploaded the entire book if anyone is interested.

Got to love thegatewaypundit.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gateway_Pundit

References
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gateway_Pundit#References

Will the base read the book? Will they care?

The more he tweets and sends flunkies out about it, the higher the sales.
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1%2F1%2F2018%2Ccd_max%3A1%2F7%2F2018&ei=MsBSWryhBYaYjwSkgoqwCg&q=sales+%22fire+and+fury%22&oq=sales+%22fire+and+fury%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i22i29i30k1l10.15675.21056.0.21610.5.5.0.0.0.0.326.810.2j3-2.4.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.1.324....0._EJULgbjmOw

I love gateway pundit, good info for anyone with an open mind.

tomahawk6 said:
I love gateway pundit (insert confirmation bias organ of your choice here) good info for anyone with an open mind.

Sure.  Just like Huffington Post is "good info for those with an open mind".

I removed the links for the download of the book. It's online, but also a copyrighted work. Safer that we not open Mike up to potential legal action for sharing access to it. I'm sure anyone that wants to read it can find it with a quick Google search.

- Milnet.ca Staff

tomahawk6 said:
I love gateway pundit, good info for anyone with an open mind.

QUESTIONABLE SOURCE

A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, overt propaganda, poor or no sourcing to credible information and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the notes section for that source. See all Questionable sources.

Bias: Extreme Right, Propaganda, Conspiracy, Nationalism, Some Fake News

The Gateway Pundit is a hard-right website that is not afraid of conspiracy theories and the occasional flirtation with outright white supremacists. Not a credible source that occasionally publishes fake news.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-gateway-pundit/

PPCLI Guy said:
Just like Huffington Post is "good info for those with an open mind".

LEFT BIAS

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation.  They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy.

Factual Reporting: HIGH
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/huffington-post/

mariomike said:
LEFT BIAS

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation.  They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy.

For the sake of clarity, I was being sarcastic with the suggestion that HuffPost is "good info for those with an open mind".  Its bias is overt and distasteful - to me at least.  Like all other sources of info, I take it with a grain of salt and a healthy dose of critical analysis, if not scepticism.

tomahawk6 said:
Wolff himself admits much in his book was made up. ;)

http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-wolff-note-says-he-doesnt-know-if-trump-book-is-all-true-2018-1

Actually that is a misstatement of what he said. What Wolff said was:

Many of the accounts of what has happened in the Trump White House are in conflict with one another; many,
in Trumpian fashion, are baldly untrue. Those conflicts, and the looseness with the truth, if not with reality itself,
are an elemental thread of the book. Sometimes I have let the players offer their versions, in turn allowing the reader to judge them. In other instances I have, through a consistency in accounts and through sources I have come to trust,
settled on a version of events I believe to be true.

That's a far cry from saying that he "admits much in his book was made up." What it says is that the White House is filled with serial liars and that he had to navigate his way through those in order to come up with the truth and that the fact that so many of the staff habitually lies is in itself part of the story.

:cheers:

FJAG said:
That's a far cry from saying that he "admits much in his book was made up." What it says is that the White House is filled with serial liars and that he had to navigate his way through those in order to come up with the truth and that the fact that so many of the staff habitually lies is in itself part of the story.

Or people willing to cash in on the "anything bad about Trump sells" meme thats going on. I could start a blog with plausible confirmation biases based on "unnamed official sources inside the Trump White House" and have thousands of hits and ad revenue from those hits overnight. Completely made up but people want to read stuff that proves their bias right.

FJAG said:
Actually that is a misstatement of what he said. What Wolff said was:

Politicians and/or the folks working for them can be serial liars?  Surely you jest.

PuckChaser said:
Or people willing to cash in on the "anything bad about Trump sells" meme thats going on.

Or anything bad about Obama or Hillary. Or anyone else unfortunate enough to make it onto his enemies list.

PuckChaser said:
Completely made up but people want to read stuff that proves their bias right.

:nod:

Anyway, he's tweeting about his "Fake News awards" next week.

"We should have a contest as to which of the Networks, plus CNN and not including Fox, is the most dishonest, corrupt and/or distorted in its political coverage of your favorite President (me). They are all bad. Winner to receive the FAKE NEWS TROPHY!"
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/935147410472480769

ie: ALL news is fake. ( All except Fox, and his twitter feed, of course. )

Wonder if the Fake News awards will include a book burning?  :)

From what PPCLI Guy posted in Reply #40, it does not sound like the base has much to worry about,

"It is even less likely, at least at this stage, that Trump’s executive appointees, led by Pence, will depose him. The 25th amendment is only half a century old, and has never been invoked against the wishes of the incumbent president. Does anyone seriously believe that Trump, declared psychiatrically or neurologically incapacitated by his own cabinet, would shuffle meekly from office? Such a threat would trigger all his most brutal attributes: his belief that the establishment is against him and his proven ability to mobilise great swathes of the American electorate in a common hatred of Washington. Now, that really would be fire and fury."

tomahawk6 said:

I will use my physic medium powers and predict this week there will be articles across the net stating that Wikileaks making this book available for free confirms they are in cahoots with Trump. It will be stated  that this is clear evidence that Wikileaks worked with Trump during the campaign and continues to carry their water. Further, I see articles saying that Mueller will investigate this. I have a strong physic vibe that the majority of these articles will appear in Newsweek.

PuckChaser said:
Or people willing to cash in on the "anything bad about Trump sells" meme thats going on. I could start a blog with plausible confirmation biases based on "unnamed official sources inside the Trump White House" and have thousands of hits and ad revenue from those hits overnight. Completely made up but people want to read stuff that proves their bias right.

I'm not defending Wolff's book one way or the other. I was just correcting a misstatement about what he allegedly said.

Some of us do care about accuracy. It's enough that the politicians are fast and loose with the truth.

PuckChaser said:

Like a joke Tweet about Gorilla channel.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/and-finally/the-bizarre-story-of-donald-trump-a-gorilla-tv-channel-and-a-parody-tweet-gone-wrong-36463564.html

:salute:
mariomike said:
QUESTIONABLE SOURCE

A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, overt propaganda, poor or no sourcing to credible information and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the notes section for that source. See all Questionable sources.

Bias: Extreme Right, Propaganda, Conspiracy, Nationalism, Some Fake News

The Gateway Pundit is a hard-right website that is not afraid of conspiracy theories and the occasional flirtation with outright white supremacists. Not a credible source that occasionally publishes fake news.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-gateway-pundit/

LEFT BIAS

Michael Moore says he’s going to frack off coast near Mar-a-Lago

Liberal documentary filmmaker Michael Moore threatened to begin fracking off the Florida coast near President Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort.

His tweet appeared to be a response to a new administration proposal to increase offshore drilling for natural gas.

"Our fracking off the coast of Mar-a-Lago begins right after Labor Day," Moore said in a tweet referencing his upcoming TNT documentary series "Live From the Apocalypse." "I’ve already got the rig — a beautiful Halliburton G-0008 fracking system with a monster Caterpillar engine!"

Moore, a relentless Trump critic and liberal activist, targeted the president's luxury Palm Beach resort, a favorite vacation spot for the president. Florida is on a list of states that could see new drilling off their coastlines under a new proposal by Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke.

The plan would open up drilling rights sales for companies on much of North America's continental shelf in coastal areas near Alaska, California and Florida, which would be a boon to the fossil fuel industry.

Moore's tweets also come after the Trump administration rolled back offshore drilling safety regulations that were created after the Deepwater Horizon spill in 2010 killed 11 people and sent at least 4.9 million barrels of oil spilling into the Gulf of Mexico.

Environmentalists have warned that the expansion and deregulation of offshore drilling could be dangerous.

Trump has promised to unlock the nation's "great energy wealth" by promoting domestic oil and gas drilling to remain independent of foreign energy.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/367780-michael-moore-says-hes-going-to-frack-off-coast-near-mar-a-lago

I'm not a massive fan of Michael Moore, but I chuckled at this possibility.

Even more fun when the EPA charges Moores crew with the various infractions they will commit, because he will hire a bunch of non-drillers to run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back