• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Turning Small Pack Into Ruck Sack On Course

Whit3

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just wondering, I'll be doing my DP1's this upcoming sunday and had a thought and concern. The small pack system can fit much more gear than a standard ruck sack so i figured why not just attach my sleeping bag to the bottom of the small pack. Just one concern, since the military is uniformed especially on course and I know everyone on course is'nt going to have the same idea as me. Do you think I could get away with my idea? 

Why? The small pack isnt meant to be a rucksack replacement, it has a specific purpose. You can fit all the kit you need in the rucksack aswell, so why start using the small pack for it? If you still want to though... You might be able to get away with it, but only if you convince your whole course to do the same. Its still not a guarentee, the instructors may decide to make you change back though.

I would highly suggest against it. Or at least, bring your ruck sack and your small pack..

I'm willing to bet your course kit list in the joining instructions says Ruck sack...and if it says ruck sack, and you have no rucksack, much Ca-ca on you. Get where I'm going?

Also, as FH mentions, it's not a rucksack replacement. The ergonomics are different, and so's the load capacity. I've seen guys use it as a rucksack, with all their load in it, and their valise strapped to the bottom. Result? Big hole ripped at bottom of bag, kit strewn everywhere.

Smallpack is a great piece of kit...but it's not a rucksack

I'm a kit wh*re, so when I first got my small pack I loaded to the tits with the valise and went camping. I learned that a small pack loaded like a ruck does not feel good. I'm not going to say the ruck feels great but its 100 times better than an overloaded small pack. The small packs a great piece of kit but its not meant to be a ruck.

Whit3 said:
Do you think I could get away with my idea? 

For about 5 minutes when you first arrive on course and are clearing in....

Do yourself a favour.....bring your ruck.

Regards

you don't use a scroll saw to rip a 2 x 4, and you don't use a chainsaw to make a china cabinet.

Bring your rucksack.

Yah I get where you guys are going,

I just thought it would be kind of a good idea although, I didn't set my expectations too high therefore I kept all my sh*t in my ruck. I have seen ppl strap the small pack too the ruck, I guess that could be a good idea if your the Radio Man.

Thanks for the advice  :salute:

im gonna back up the others, I also tried it once and it friggin sucked...  way less stable.  seemed like the kit was all over the place and no support for your lower back.  best bet bring the ruck and use it. 

The patrol pack is not comfy when it has any amount of wieght in it.

medic,

as a tangent, I've yet to see any pill-rollers using the patrol pack with/for their med-bags. Are any of your guys doing so? Attaching the med bag to the patrol pack, or stuffing it inside?

Wouldn't it be inadequate, because its a top-loader? A zip-open pack would allow you to see everything you need instead of digging around for that iv in the bottom of the bag...

Whit3 said:
I have seen ppl strap the small pack too the ruck, I guess that could be a good idea if your the Radio Man.

Umm, No, it would not be a good idea.  Why the hell you would want to do that as a radio man?

signalsguy said:
Wouldn't it be inadequate, because its a top-loader? A zip-open pack would allow you to see everything you need instead of digging around for that iv in the bottom of the bag...
I dunno. That's why I'm asking.

JSR OP said:
Umm, No, it would not be a good idea.  Why the hell you would want to do that as a radio man?

I've strapped my small-pack to my ruck, never while I was rucking it though..Just for ease when travelling, and pulling my pers kit out of a truck. It's there, but it bounces around a lot.

And believe me, if you put a 522 in there, it would suck. I would never do that as a dismounted signaller

Insert Quote
Quote from: Whit3 on Today at 19:06:22
I have seen ppl strap the small pack too the ruck, I guess that could be a good idea if your the Radio Man.

Because the platoon signaller is in the awkward position of having to hump his ruck like everyone else on the way to the patrol base, but then figure out the best way to carry the radio once everyone else drops their rucks for the fighting patrol/recce/ect. Trying to raid the FIBUA site would probably suck with a ruck on, trying to keep up with the platoon commander as he runs from building to building and then sucking wind through your *** as he tells you to send a sitrep.

Faced with this very situation this past winter, I packed my ruck light and fit the radio in the small pack under the top flap of the ruck (laying it sideways, so the faceplate was on the right). It needed frequent re-adjusting, but it allowed me to wear the ruck and the radio headset at the same time. It also allowed me to easily set my ruck down and either access the radio faceplate or extend the 10-foot whip without undoing any straps. Then when it came time for the raid, I just wore the small pack with the radio and a couple batteries.

It's not a perfect solution. The ruck and the manpack obviously wern't designed to work together and I'd be carefull on any really long humps. The set-up needed frequent care to make sure the radio didn't slide out from under the top flap. But really, whats the alternative? You can put the radio fully inside the ruck, and carry that on the assault. Maybe you can drop your valise to lighten the load. Or you can try and wear your ruck on your back and your manpack on your front, but that's RTFO IMHO.

I think a jump ruck with the smallpack radio between the bag below and valise on top would be good. I have a feeling some A7A straps will be more secure, and the setup will still provide easy access to the radio at all times. When I get around to it (maybe tomorrow, maybe never) I'm going to get ahold of a certain ex-rigger here in Pet and see if he can build me a jump bag with 5 pockets, and then add some straps on top of them so I can opt to mount small pack pouches onto my ruck.

Wonderbread said:
I think a jump ruck with the smallpack radio between the bag below and valise on top would be good. I have a feeling some A7A straps will be more secure, and the setup will still provide easy access to the radio at all times. When I get around to it (maybe tomorrow, maybe never) I'm going to get ahold of a certain ex-rigger here in Pet and see if he can build me a jump bag with 5 pockets, and then add some straps on top of them so I can opt to mount small pack pouches onto my ruck.

Why not get a rectangular piece of CADPAT material and make an 'apron' (with straps long enough to attach to a ruck or pack), to fit over you pack or ruck, that has those straps attached for mounting the pouches.  When not in use, just roll it up and stow it in one of the pouches or pockets.....or just use it as a cam cover. 

As for radioes....been there, done that.....it sucks.  If you are lucky, you can dump your ruck in the CQ's truck (or reasonable facsimilie) and just carry the radio shyte (Batts and various antenna).  If not it does fit in the pack, and feels like you have the kitchen sink in there.  Only one way to describe it....it sucks. 

George Wallace said:
As for radioes....been there, done that.....it sucks.  If you are lucky, you can dump your ruck in the CQ's truck (or reasonable facsimilie) and just carry the radio shyte (Batts and various antenna).  If not it does fit in the pack, and feels like you have the kitchen sink in there.  Only one way to describe it....it sucks. 
ditto.

What I did, was dump the valise, and keep the ruck itself stripped down. But I found it far better than using the patrol pack. I broke two of them, mine and a borrowed one. (Caveat: I was using the old frame with A7A straps.)

Back