• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trying to VR on C&P???

miguel

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello guys. I've served in the infantry for 4 years and decided its time to move on to bigger and better things!!! the only problem is that I got a DUI and got put on Counseling & Probation (C&P) Can I still voluntary release???

I suspect the answer would be yes. Run this pass your CoC,  they'll probably help you pack.

A glance at the DAOD on Remedial Measures and at the QR&O chapter on release didn't indicate anything that would prevent this.

miguel said:
Hello guys. I've served in the infantry for 4 years and decided its time to move on to bigger and better things!!! the only problem is that I got a DUI and got put on Counseling & Probation (C&P) Can I still voluntary release???

I don't usually wade into these topics but I will this time, just once...    I am sure you have been "lectured" many times over by many people about your lapse in judgement and brining it here is only going to result in more "lecturing" about your bad judgement/poor choice.

But I have to ask the question.......Are you looking for a VR because you don't like your job and or where it may lead or are you just VR'ing because of the DUI?

DAA said:
I don't usually wade into these topics but I will this time, just once...    I am sure you have been "lectured" many times over by many people about your lapse in judgement and brining it here is only going to result in more "lecturing" about your bad judgement/poor choice.

But I have to ask the question.......Are you looking for a VR because you don't like your job and or where it may lead or are you just VR'ing because of the DUI?

Honestly Im not happy in the Infantry... I wanted to OT but being on C&P for a full year I can longer do that so I've decided that I will probably put my VR in. I've also got a civie job looking to hire me for my apprentice providing I release soon!!

Thanks guys I will definitely run it through my CoC and hope they dont look at me any different for my decision!!! hopefully I can release soon...

miguel said:
Honestly Im not happy in the Infantry... I wanted to OT but being on C&P for a full year I can longer do that so I've decided that I will probably put my VR in. I've also got a civie job looking to hire me for my apprentice providing I release soon!!

They can hold you in for 6 months; having a job lined up doesn't necessarily mean they have to let you go. You being on C&P may make them want to wave that 6 month cooldown though.

PuckChaser said:
You being on C&P may make them want to wave that 6 month cooldown though.
Conversely, and knowing that we're commenting based only on what the OP chooses to share, they may hold him for the entire period if there's potentially a perception that the CAF is "dumping a problem child."

It's not personal, but there isn't remotely enough info to know what the CoC may decide; all you can do is ask.

Or.....consider that in the big scheme of things 6 months is no big deal; wait it out and use the time to make yourself a better candidate for VOT to the trade you were looking at.

Soon there will be a "letter of intent" for C&P(financial) directed at me. Significant chance I'll be applying for VR within 1-2 months. Does being on C&P change anything in regards to the VR process?

I've been in for 10+ years.

Thanks for your time.

Motaba88 said:
Soon there will be a "letter of intent" for C&P(financial) directed at me. Significant chance I'll be applying for VR within 1-2 months. Does being on C&P change anything in regards to the VR process?

Thanks for your time.

Every example of a person having financial problems that I have seen, have been retained by the CF until their debts have been paid, and then Released.

George Wallace said:
Every example of a person having financial problems that I have seen, have been retained by the CF until their debts have been paid, and then Released.
I'm assuming you are referring to ongoing garnishments? If that's the case, then a Consumer Proposal would take care of that as well.

Motaba88 said:
Soon there will be a "letter of intent" for C&P(financial) directed at me.

You pointed out the yellow highlighted portion.  I expressed my experience in what I have witnessed. 

What guarantees does the CF have that you will release with a debt and fulfill a "Consumer Proposal"?  NONE.

If you renege on your obligation, both the CF and the Deptee are put out.  The debt is not paid, and the CF is discredited in its policies. 

Motaba88 said:
Thanks for your time.

You can request a 4.c. (Voluntary) release at anytime but will most likely be subject to the 6-month waiting period before your release takes effect.  Whether you are on C&P or not, really has no bearing on submitting your request, provided you are meeting the requirements set out during the monitoring period of your C&P.  If you fail to rectify the reason behind why the C&P was issued, it could very well result in an Administrative Review (AR) being initiated, which in turn could result in a recommendation for the CAF to release you as a 5.f. (Unsiutable for Further Service).

George Wallace said:
What guarantees does the CF have that you will release with a debt and fulfill a "Consumer Proposal"?  NONE.

If you renege on your obligation, both the CF and the Deptee are put out.  The debt is not paid, and the CF is discredited in its policies.
If a consumer proposal bottoms out, the debt still hangs on you.....no one is "put out".

miguel said:
... on Counseling & Probation (C&P) Can I still voluntary release???
Motaba88 said:
Does being on C&P change anything in regards to the VR process?
There are no regulations were being on C&P has impact on your ability to voluntarily release. 

However, if you release on C&P and then ever get back into the CAF, then you start back on C&P and must complete whatever duration was remaining.

MCG said:
However, if you release on C&P and then ever get back into the CAF, then you start back on C&P and must complete whatever duration was remaining.

Like any Unit is going to check, let alone enforce this, when and if it should happen.

In reality, anyone subject to an IC, RW or C&P on release and/or transfers to the PRes or rejoins the Reg F later on, is pretty much starting off from scratch.

It should be picked-up in the VFR before re-enrollment happens.

MCG said:
It should be picked-up in the VFR before re-enrollment happens.

I try to keep up with the acronyms.

I've seen VFS mentioned from time to time in other discussions. Is VFR the same / similar thing?

Verification of Former Service 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/12800.0
3 pages.

Visual Flight Rules?  [lol:

mariomike said:
I try to keep up with the acronyms.

Is this what "VFR" is referring to, or is it something different?

Back