• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

I would argue that wedge politics eventually results in a pile of splinters with nothing solid to hold a wedge.

Eventually you piss-off everybody. I think that is what the Liberals have achieved.
You can. But they’ve been doing wedge politics for some time now. This isn’t a new thing. As we’ve seen, unless there is an alternative, voters will stick with the devil they know. PP has managed, I think, to crack that.

If the trendline continues (trendlines do not have to continue in politics…), the Liberals are not just facing defeat in the next election, they are facing near destruction.
Last time that happened, two elections later the Conservatives were reduced to two seats.
Not sure that either side’s previous occurrences are to be trusted to re-occur as precisely as history recalls, but JT’s dependency on a positive messaging cycle to increase support seems rather ‘miscalibrated’ these days. It’s almost like every major needle turning situation becomes a poorly/ill-considered attempt to influence voter base that turns into a head scratching, what the heck is he thinking, type ‘virtue’ signal/missive that actually misses the intended mark and instead services as a lightening rod for foreign critique. One thing that is reasonably unique vis a vis the past, is the apparent solidity of JT’s arrangement/ability to keep the wheels on the bus for another 1/5 of a decade now matter how badly things seem to be degrading away from his intended post-nation state Nirvana.

You can. But they’ve been doing wedge politics for some time now. This isn’t a new thing. As we’ve seen, unless there is an alternative, voters will stick with the devil they know. PP has managed, I think, to crack that.

I agree that they have been doing wedge politics for some time now. At least since 2015. And if I am not mistaken their share of the popular vote has trended steadily downwards.

Not sure that either side’s previous occurrences are to be trusted to re-occur as precisely as history recalls, but JT’s dependency on a positive messaging cycle to increase support seems rather ‘miscalibrated’ these days. It’s almost like every major needle turning situation becomes a poorly/ill-considered attempt to influence voter base that turns into a head scratching, what the heck is he thinking, type ‘virtue’ signal/missive that actually misses the intended mark and instead services as a lightening rod for foreign critique. One thing that is reasonably unique vis a vis the past, is the apparent solidity of JT’s arrangement/ability to keep the wheels on the bus for another 1/5 of a decade now matter how badly things seem to be degrading away from his intended post-nation state Nirvana.

Do the interests of Jagmeet and his party continue to coincide? I think the NDP would have dumped him if they didn't already think the opportunity had passed.

So far it appears the do, Kirkhill. We’re riding this train until Jagmeet chooses to adjust his support model.

Dippers are a very fickle lot.

They want clout, but also value "doing good" and will favour that over gaining seats and popularity. Hence the Supply and Confidence Agreement.

This is also why I doubt we will ever see an NDP majority in our lifetime. The LPC has taken the glory for things that have gone right, and used their Orange crayon to highlight whenever something lands poorly.

As for Singh, I think his GAFF is in the basement right now, especially since he survived a leadership review unscathed. He might be there in 2025, but unless there is a shift in seats; I can see him getting turfed and crying all the way to the bank with his padded pension.

Richmond, Delta and Coquitlam are looking pretty blue…

So losing ground there as well but the areas that are holding for the Liberals in Vancouver and Montreal have very strong populations of recent immigrants.

Ethnic_Distribution 1.png

May be a bit of a dangerous game we are playing here but I justify myself on the basis that the information is gleaned from federal sources. So this is being tracked in any event.

First let me state that all ridings are mixed. All ridings have all ethnicities. The map merely reflects where some ethnicities considered as minorities tend to have larger populations that can influence the representation of the ridings.

The ridings that are undifferentiated would be Anglophone ridings but Anglophone doesn't adequately describe the ethnicity of Ukrainians, Germans, Italians, Greeks, Russians etc.

To the point

The Liberals appear to have lost the Francophone community, the First Nations and the Inuit, and are whittling away at their Indian and Chinese support. Khalistan is not universally popular with Indians, or even Sikhs. Beijing is not particularly popular in Hong Kong or Taiwan. They are now in the process of losing both their Muslim and their Jewish support, a process which started on social grounds. Those same social grounds already reduced their Catholic support. They are losing their Youth support on economic grounds.

People tend to talk up leaders and decry the lack of policy.

I think it is the opposite.

Leaders matter but not so much as policy does. I think that most people just don't talk about politics. It may seem strange now but once upon a time politics was something that was not discussed in polite company. How about those Leafs?

This map is worth a look today.

LOL Look at Windsor Tecumseh leaning blue! The Liberal have dumped more money in that riding than any other riding, industry or company (Irving excluding because it's buying a ship fingers crossed in the end) in the history of the country. (Until St Thomas gets going) $13 Billion and counting. It makes Bombardier look like pocket change.

But Windsor Tecumseh has never voted Blue in any time I can remember. But Irek is not the brightest on the red team.

I agree with you, but around wants too and is also not tainted by the Trudeau brand ?

But those are some beautiful numbers! I hope the CPC can keep their foot on the gas and stuff into their mouths.
Not to mention the CPC lead is basically insurmountable, no serious contender would sacrifice themselves right now. The next leader will be an interregnum manager, not an aspiring PM.

Now, last time I said "it would take an Act of God", it happened, and Trump lost the election after he fumbled the pandemic, but what are the odds, eh?

Not to mention the CPC lead is basically insurmountable, no serious contender would sacrifice themselves right now. The next leader will be an interregnum manager, not an aspiring PM.

Now, last time I said "it would take an Act of God", it happened, and Trump lost the election after he fumbled the pandemic, but what are the odds, eh?

I agree the lead is shockingly large, if it were an electoral result it would be a blow out. But with the right leader and a willingness to admit their mistakes and walk back some legislation they have enacted they could at least, maybe, hold the CPC to a minority.

Back