• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training?

J

Jace

hello. i am thinking of considering applying for the army in the near future and i am trying to figure out what i could do for training so i am prepared for the fitness test and stuff.  i have read through most of what i can find that has already been posted in here about it, but my situation isnt like the ones i have read about so far.

in the time before i would go for my fitness tests and whatnot, i will be working full time as a roofer.  the problem with this is that roofing is a pretty time and energy consuming job.  i would be getting up for work at 5:30 every day and by the time i got cleaned up and whatnot at the end of the day, it would be about 8:00 to 9:00 at night.  that doesnt leave a lot of room for running and stuff.  so my question i guess is, what could i do to still train effectively while working around my schedule?

i am planning on doing a workout after work at least three times a week and working up to every night, but really the only days i can actually run would be on sundays and every other saterday (its not wise to run at night where i live out in the country on the highways. its a good way to become road kill!). that isnt a whole lot of running.  now obviously roofing is a tramendous workout in itself so that will help out a lot, but it still doesnt help me with like cardio and stuff really.

any suggestions?

-Jace

If there are any 24 hour gyms in your area that might be an option for you. Although you did mention roofing is an energy consuming job, that is something that is right up your alley. You could also purchase a treadmill or some weights for use at home.

Every time I ask an applicant what their fitness routine is and they tell me they are too busy working to work out and besides their job is pretty physically demanding I reply so what.  Find time to work out and do it regularly.  There is no magic formula and you know your schedule better than anyone else.  Sprints in your backyard are better than nothing and practicing your push-ups and sit-ups every night or morning is a perfect workout.  Good luck.

the problem is not the willingness to work out or whatever. its the fact that the human body needs sleep and rest to function at all. the only part of my day i can cut out to work out is the sleep part and there is precious little of that to begin with. what im asking is for suggestions to help make the most of the time i do have after work and on weekends, especially in the area of cardio and stuff.

-Jace

well.. during the time you are roofing... you get a lunch break for how long.. an hour or so?.. take some time BEFORE you eat.. and go for a 20-25 minute run, that will cover about 5 km at a good pace, and then return to the site and eat your lunch and get back to work.

just a suggestion  ;D

don't get too wrapped around the handle about this. First,
i am thinking of considering applying for the army in the near future
tells me that you haven't decided to enlist yet. Once you make the decision, then everything else will become secondary, and you'll focus on it entirely.

Second, you're not expected to run marathons and bench-press Volvos at Basic. You show up, do what you're told, and try to learn how to become a soldier. The PT may challenge you, it may not. Either way, you'll overcome it and move on. PT in Basic is (well it WAS) designed to turn out of shape civvies into soldiers. Now, I don't know what it's supposed to do, but it won't kill you, and you will adapt to it, and overcome.

Run when you can. Do push ups, sit ups, and chin ups when you can. Once you decide if you want to serve your country and become a Citizen as opposed to a Civilian, you'll change your focus.

Until then, enjoy your roofing job, and good luck with your enlistment. Hope to see you in a uniform someday. And your boots better shine!  ;)

haha. well ive basically made the decision to join. its a matter of when the first available date based on my life is. i have some current commitments that i cant set aside so they come first. then off the the army! and i suppose if i can spend 12 hours a day, 6 days a week hauling bundles of shingles around a roof and up and down ladders, basic wont totally kill me.  ;)

-Jace

well like i said in another thread... basic is 99.99% mental and i will continue to say that

its not about how strong you are.. how long you can spend hauling shingles around.. if you are in decent shape and not RIDICULOUSLY out of shape you will do fine.... like i said.... its purely mental strength..

:salute:

Paracowboy,

"Once you decide if you want to serve your country and become a Citizen as opposed to a Civilian, you'll change your focus."
That is a great line :warstory:
That should be on a recruiting poster

Back