• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training Preparations

Some important tips on running.
Get good running shoes. Since I‘ve been in I spend about $80-$90 every 6 - 8 months on good running shoes. Some people opt for court shoes and they pay by having to endure shin splints and the like.

Take it easy. If you are just starting to run, leave at least a day or so between runs so muscles can repair. When I first started I ran up to 5k for 10 days in a row but I had to stop for quite a while because of some really painful shin splints and other muscle injuries.

One thing that really helped me on basic with
the running was to just switch the brain off.
Look at the guy in front of you and follow him.
Simple as that, don‘t think about anything other
than just following him (or her as the case
maybe). Of course if you don‘t have anyone to
follow (i.e. running alone) it makes it that much
harder, but then its just pure will power.

Oh and breathe through your stomache!

Thanks for the tips, Kurokaze and Maven...
Ya most of the time my biggest problem is the fact that I end up running alone, its always been easier when someone else is around. The problem is, I‘m the only one I know of around here that gets up and goes for a run early in the morning.

So I guess I need to stick to it whether alone or not, and try for longer distances, I never really do too much too far, so I guess I should start going more of a distance.

btw thanks to everyone who has posted, its a great deal of help

:cdn:

For BMQ, the CF says you can bring your own running shoes. They also state that the shoes must be non-marking. I‘ve checked around for good running shoes, but a majority of them mark.
Court/tennis shoes come in non-marking varieties yet lack the mid-sole spongy-cushioning.
Can you recommend a running shoe or cross trainer make/model that is non-marking?

Well I have Saucony Trigon Durable.

http://www.saucony.com/product_detail.aspx?modelID=10000009&shoeID=10000022&type=M

They didn‘t markup the parade square that I could
see and they are a really good pair of running
shoes.

Highly recommend them. They retailed for about
$140 for me.

Kurokaze‘s point is very good. I find that when I think specifically about running while I‘m running, it gets harder.

Some of my fondest memories from basic are when we went for runs in the rain, all wearing our green rainjackets.. It was fun.

I wouldn‘t worry about getting a specific non-marking running shoe. Any aasics, nike, reebok, or [insert brand name] pair of runners will be do.

I bought a pair of Mizuno "Wave Riders" and they‘re the best **** running shoes I ever bought, and they don‘t mark. The only thing I don‘t like about them is that they are useless for sports. Don‘t try to play basketball with them, they kill your shins. Quite expensive though, mine were 160$, so you have to be serious about running.

http://www.mizunousa.com/products.nsf/ProductSearch/594FCC3542D4FFA185256CC3006811FA?opendocument

my shins freakin hurt when I run, i dont know if it‘s my new shoes, or that i‘ve been running even harder and on pavement. I heard pavement supposedly gives a beating on your legs.

pavement bad. mud slippery. grass too soft.
rubber mulch good :) get a proper track to run on. thats the best surface for running on. :D

I have this really stupid habit of pushing my body when it shouldn‘t be. Like running when my shins are still hurting. Always feels like it doesnt heal fast enough.

Having your body physicly fit and ready for basic is always a plus, however remember the whole point of basic is to mold us physicaly and mentaly.

any tips for interview? i always feel like i have insufficient amount of info to be ready. I even filled out my interview preparation sheet, i‘m hoping they dont ask questions that catch me off guard.

You shouldnt prepare anyways, even if you knew everything about it. They are interviewing you to see that you are suitable. ie. wont turn around and start shooting random people when given a gun, wont break down crying when x happens. they want to make sure that they are making a worthwhile investment. also, no one is really supposed to say what there interviewer asked them, or what the questions are on their cfat, stuff like that.

You should study your trade picks for the interview as they will ask you about them. They
‘re not going to recommend you to a trade you know nothing about. The only other thing I remember being caught off guard with was trying to remember when the last time I had done any sort of drug and how many times. They will ask you how much beer you drink, how much caffeine, how many cigarettes etc. you take in.

yeah thanks guys. I should just try to enjoy the 11 day break i have till the interview. When u have alot of time on your hands it makes you think too deep into it, when you shouldnt.
I know like the entire booklet on what we do in the artillery cuz i read about it so much.

I really have nothing to tell them if they ask about leadership skills, I never liked to lead. I‘m very self-reliant so I enjoy having a leader more than leading.

Hey, is there actual war games in the CF? between the regiments, using lasers and blanks?

Hehe do not worry about the interview ARTY. The job of the interviewer is not to find a reason to kick you out of his office. He only wants to know if you know what you‘re doing and who you are. He‘ll want to know why you want to be a member of the Canadian Forces and if you have the slightest idea of what‘s awaiting you in your chosen trades. He‘ll want to know what you do with your spare time, if you work and if you enjoy life in general. It only last an hour and it‘s pretty informal. Do not worry about your leadership skills. It is important if you want to be an officer but he‘s human too and he knows not everybody is at the same level. Some like to lead, others dont and some have no idea cause they never found themself in such a situation. Basically if you show you really want to join the army, you chose your trades carefully and you know them, are willing to wield a weapon and use it if necessary, have no bad drinking and/or smoking habits and have a job and are moderatly(sp?) educated you are a good candidate.
Knowing a tiny bit about the Canadian Forces recent history might help to. You even filed the interview question sheet. Aside from a question on the CF recent history, I could find all the answers to the questions I was asked on that sheet. I know were not suppose to talk about this but you guy was worrying to much for me to do nothing about it :) .

Thanks bro, I have like 10 days and it‘s agonizing waiting. It would be a huge disgrace for me if i didnt make it, cuz i work hard everyday especially to help my family and serious about the army life.

Back