• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Traditional Beret Colours and thoughts on the tan beret?

Our existing Regiments are still called Armoured and have no tanks today either.

recceguy said:
Our existing Regiments are still called Armoured and have no tanks today either.

And there are Patricias wearing black berets...

it's a topsy turvy world....

ouyin2000 said:
If you want to go a bit further than the Canadian Army, don't forget the orange-ish berets of the SARTechs...although i've heard a few of them get MP Red berets, since the colours are so similar

SAR Techs used to wear a scarlet beret until the DEU's came out, at which point they lost the beret and had to wear the blue wedge hat that the rest of the Air Force wear. By the time the beret was returned, the MPs had the scarlet one, and someone in NDHQ claimed that SAR Techs could be mistaken for MPs if they wore the same headdress (I would have assumed the  absence of jelly doughnuts would have made identifying the SAR Tech pretty easy). A "rescue orange" beret was therefore adopted.

Most SAR Techs, however, tend to wear a Squadron baseball hat, or one with the SAR wings and "Para Rescue".....which is eminently more sensible than a beret of ANY colour; a brimless wool hat that neither keeps your head warm, nor the sun out of your eyes. 

Anything, absolutely anything is fine with me as long as no one brings back the tan wedge for the Army, or forge caps for DEU's

Journeyman said:
SAR Techs used to wear a scarlet beret until the DEU's came out, at which point they lost the beret and had to wear the blue wedge hat that the rest of the Air Force wear. By the time the beret was returned, the MPs had the scarlet one, and someone in NDHQ claimed that SAR Techs could be mistaken for MPs if they wore the same headdress (I would have assumed the   absence of jelly doughnuts would have made identifying the SAR Tech pretty easy). A "rescue orange" beret was therefore adopted.

Most SAR Techs, however, tend to wear a Squadron baseball hat, or one with the SAR wings and "Para Rescue".....which is eminently more sensible than a beret of ANY colour; a brimless wool hat that neither keeps your head warm, nor the sun out of your eyes.  
From what I have read, the Rescue Orange beret is more of an internationally accepted colour for Search and Rescue, which would make sense. But I see the logic in a baseball cap  :p

Keep the green beret and concentrate on the capability. We should be beyond babbles

This is starting to sound like one of the cadet threads where they argue over summer courses and who has the most qualifications.

Tracker 23A said:
This is starting to sound like one of the cadet threads where they argue over summer courses and who has the most qualifications.

Feel free to not participate, then.

As for the "wedge" cap, I think the Coloured Field Service Cap would be a welcome splash of colour and instil regimental/branch pride.  Every unit in the Army had its own combination of colours.

http://www.servicepub.com/colourfscap.html

rca-of.jpg

http://www.servicepub.com/mdfscapsinf.htm

http://www.servicepub.com/fscap2.html

A lot of tradition; only worn with walking out dress and obviously not for the field.

I'd argue the exact opposite. Get rid of all distinctions entirely. One headress for the Army (or at least as few hats as possible). Cap badges by unit, not trade.

I say the USMC and Royal Marines are the model to follow - as few distinctions and differences as possible. One Army.

....oh, and ditch DEU's - in the Army, scarlets for all.

All of this can be implemented as soon as we're dropping Canadian Airborne brigades out of Canadian C-17s. Otherwise, its just an internet talking point.

"Most SAR Techs, however, tend to wear a Squadron baseball hat, or one with the SAR wings and "Para Rescue".....which is eminently more sensible than a beret of ANY colour; a brimless wool hat that neither keeps your head warm, nor the sun out of your eyes. "

baseball caps or hats suck, and sure don't look as smart as a beret nor as military.  But that just me, them and cowboy hats belong in the trash can. ;D

And I am sure there was a time when many RSMs would have eaten their field service caps before seeing some floppy un-military-looking beret on the heads of their soldiers.  Dress evolves too, and pretty soon we again perceive everything old silly and antiquated and anything new as un-military.

As for the "wedge" cap, I think the Coloured Field Service Cap would be a welcome splash of colour and instil regimental/branch pride.  Every unit in the Army had its own combination of colours.

I agree the RMC kp is not only comfortable but looks sharp, Although it is some what out of date the Idea could still be used

9Tiger9 said:
I agree the RMC kp is not only comfortable but looks sharp, Although it is some what out of date the Idea could still be used
I have always found it a humorous little piece of kit always wondering where the cadet may have put his little silver cup and around what corner I'd find a Gypsy Organ Grinder.   ;D

Another thread to unravel...

I recall a couple of troops from Hastings & P(something?) Reg't, wearing a red beret as part of their "in garrison" dress. Do they still do this?

From Australia....

Tan - SASR
Red - RACMP
Maroon - Airborne
Dark blue, RACT, RAEME, RASIGs and other Corps aside from what is mentioned
Black - RAAC
Dark grn - RAInf
Lighter grn - Commandos

Hat KFF's (Slouch) are also worn, but not by all.

Cheers,

Wes

baboon6 said:
Aussie/NZ SAS wear the same berets as the Brits.
Actually, NZ SAS wear the maroon beret; they are the only Para-roled unit in their Army.
In our Army, the maroon beret will be retained for Para-roled pers. The Infantry Corps wants to keep the Para Coys in the LIBs, and actually expand the Para presence. There are some serious discussions about establishing a Pathfinder section, in Para slots, in all 9 Infantry Batt Recce Platoons.
All CANSOFCOM pers will wear the tan beret, including a new capbadge, because it will be the only Formation in the CF that will be trained, equipped and mandated to conduct special operations. Pers assigned to CANSOFCOM in the beginning will wear the original capbadge, but eventually there will be a Spec Ops capbadge.

Ex-Pat Army said:
I recall a couple of troops from Hastings & P(something?) Reg't, wearing a red beret as part of their "in garrison" dress. Do they still do this?

Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment. No.

Several militia infantry units wore red berets, but they pretty much fell by the wayside back in the 1970s. There might still be some cadet units wearing the red, but I leave that to someone else's expertise to respond.

Ex-Pat Army said:
Another thread to unravel...

We no longer are permitted to wear red berets in uniform, though virtually everyone in the Regiment owns them and wears then with mufti for functions.   Our honouraries have constantly lobbied for its return, but the MP monopoly on red now seems to preclude it.

Our cadets perpetuate the heritage by wearing them.

Back