• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Toronto-based group helps deserters

Slim

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Sat, January 29, 2005

Vietnam era group helps

By Jason Botchford

THE NEW era of American war resisters is reviving emotions in Vietnam War draft dodgers that had long been put aside. "I felt I had left my Vietnam days and the stuff I went through. It was in the past," said Lee Zaslofsky, of Resisters, a Toronto-based group that helps deserters.

It is in the midst of lobbying Ottawa to make it easier for war resisters to start a life in Canada. So far 20,000 people have signed their petition at www.resisters.ca.

Zaslofsky just celebrated his 35th year in Canada. He hadn't been involved in the peace movement directly for a long time, but that changed when he found out there were American soldiers who wanted to do what an estimated 60,000 did during the Vietnam War.

'SERIOUS THING'

"I wanted to help these young fellows," Zaslofsky said. "I have insights into what these guys are going through. Once they get here we start helping them out."

People from that era can provide an insight that no one else can, Zaslofsky said.

"The emotions involved are the same," he said. "Coming to Canada is a very serious thing."

Cliff Cornell, 24, was a soldier in Georgia. His unit was to deploy to Iraq shortly after Christmas. He heard about Zaslofsky's Toronto group and it gave him hope.

"I knew they were helping people and I don't think many people in the army know about them," Cornell said. "I didn't want to go to war and they gave me a chance."

TRIED LEGAL MEANS

Cornell tried to leave the army by legal means but he said it was impossible. On Jan. 8, he came to Canada, knowing he might never be able to go back home. He hasn't told his family back in Arkansas yet.

"I don't know when I'll be able to tell them," Cornell said. "I don't know how I'm going to tell them."

Zaslofsky said there are a lot of differences between the wars. He said there is no draft now, and the casualties are only a fraction of what they were in Vietnam.

"But the war is similar in that it seems like a quagmire and there is no way out.

"It was also started under false pretenses and the reasons for them both were a fraud, if you want to put it like that.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/News/2005/01/29/913657-sun.html

There is a big diffenece in being drafted into a military and volunteering.  A case could be made that a drafte is going in against there will.  Free education and cheap housing come at a price.

What burns me are the ones that signed up after the US entered Iraq and then try to desert when they are told they are deploying.

It's one thing to be a conscientious objector and refuse to fight. Another entirely to desert a volunteer armed forces.

If the person is currently serving and believes it is their duty to refuse, good for them. But that's also provided they are willing to face the consequences as they agreed to when they signed up. That's my .02.

I think the group assisting these people are probably well meaning but misguided. I could see assisting a draft-dodger, as that's involuntary service. I would have no problem with that.

Like everyone pointed out, a volunteer who suddenly decides to desert isn't the same as a draftee deserting.

Personally, I think draftees COULD have a reason to desert... say, Vietnam. BUT, that being said, draftees who'd desert in a World War, or at least a major operation where there were big, valid reasons to go to war, should be subject to the full extent of the law--and that includes the death penalty if so stated in the law. I think people who help deserters (I don't think you can be a conscientous objector if you join up knowing you're most likely going to deploy) should be prosecuted as well.

Anyways, all in all, I can understand draft dodgers would want to help other deserters, but they're wrong.

I think its rather embarrassing that this country doesn't seem to mind (or at least isn't preventing) this organization from operating here. We also seem to be considering letting this crowd of free-lunch wannabe's in.

I find that rather shamefull.

Slim

I find the more attention we give these guys the more their message gets out.  Negitive publicity is still publicity.

I remember when there was a website supporting some american soldier who ran away to canada. Some soldiers wrote in death threats and all kids of stupid shit. What did the website do? Turn around and post the e-mails making us soldiers look like monsters and i think, furthering poisoning peoples minds against the military.

I just ignore these guys.
It's like when people come on this web sight with their mind made up about an issue. Their not looking to debate and maybe change their views, their looking to argue their point because they are right and everyone else is wrong. Impossible to argue with people like that

x-grunt said:
If the person is currently serving and believes it is their duty to refuse, good for them. But that's also provided they are willing to face the consequences as they agreed to when they signed up. That's my .02.

Haven't you heard........no one is responsible for their own actions anymore !!!  ::)  :sniper:

aesop081 said:
Haven't you heard........no one is responsible for their own actions anymore !!!    ::)   :sniper:

Gah. Ain't that the truth.   ::)

Slim said:
I think its rather embarrassing that this country doesn't seem to mind (or at least isn't preventing) this organization from operating here. We also seem to be considering letting this crowd of free-lunch wannabe's in.

I find that rather shamefull.

Slim

Totally agree

Wow, I should just go AWOL and say that I don't wanna do something even though my contract requires me to do it. I guess signing on the dotted line means nothing to these people. You break a business contract, you get hauled before a judge, but if you break a military contract and skip the country you get a bunch of peaceniks trying to cover for you? Amazing. A contract is a contract and is therefore legally binding. You sign up, you do what you're required to, that simple.

Big Foot said:
Wow, I should just go AWOL and say that I don't wanna do something even though my contract requires me to do it. I guess signing on the dotted line means nothing to these people. You break a business contract, you get hauled before a judge, but if you break a military contract and skip the country you get a bunch of peaceniks trying to cover for you? Amazing. A contract is a contract and is therefore legally binding. You sign up, you do what you're required to, that simple.

Agreed. While we sign a "contract" when we join I think most of us know that contracts are only as good the paper that they're printed on. I believe this has more to do with one's honor and commitment to one's fellow citizens and country than a violation of a mere contract. We swear an oath to serve and defend our country. It's the fact that a soldier would violate his/her oath that bothers me the most. J

So this guy has actually DESERTED the US Army, correct?  Which is the American equivalent to an Indictable offence, again correct? 

My question is, why hasn't Immigration Canada, Canada Customs, RCMP, Military Police or even a Municipal Police Force arrested and extrited him?  On the same note, why haven't these people been arrested here for Counselling a deserter and/or aiding and abetting a deserter?

I don't remember who it was on here that said this (or something along the same lines), but today everyone is so concerned about their RIGHTS, but they seem to forget about their RESPONSABILITIES..

I know of a couple of guys in our army that have taken off and it doesn't seem like the military was really concerned with it.  Pity really, you must make an example out of them.

CFL said:
I know of a couple of guys in our army that have taken off and it doesn't seem like the military was really concerned with it.   Pity really, you must make an example out of them.

The reason we don't chase them down anymore is because it costs too much in time, money and resources. We only punish the ones who turn themselves in.

Jumper said:
The reason we don't chase them down anymore is because it costs too much in time, money and resources. We only punish the ones who turn themselves in.

...like the guys who came in to see where their pay was.

GW

George Wallace said:
...like the guys who came in to see where their pay was.

GW

We had a guy like that at CFSME on PAT Pl......he would go AWOL and turn himself in when he ran out of money.......get charged....go AWOL until he ran out of money.........round and round we went for a while

"The reason we don't chase them down anymore is because it costs too much in time, money and resources. We only punish the ones who turn themselves in."

That is really to bad.

Back