• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Toronto 18" terrorists: Arrest/court/aftermath

If the Toronto Star is accurate in its reporting (IF being the magic word these days) I greatly admire the courage of this unnamed fellow to go undercover as he did.

It seems that he put his life on the line and continues to do so for the safety of fellow Canadians ... I admire that.

I don't know much about the secret squirrel world and their wars, but guts is guts. Thanks to him and people like him.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1152827412841&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

Informer wanted to protect Canada
Describes role in terror case
No stranger to controversy
Jul. 14, 2006. 08:26 AM
MICHELLE SHEPHARD
STAFF REPORTER

Mubin Shaikh, a well-known and sometimes controversial figure in Toronto's Muslim community, says he decided to become an undercover police agent and infiltrate an alleged terrorism cell to protect Canada, the country of his birth.

Shaikh went public yesterday about his role as a paid informant, a day after the Toronto Star broke the story of his involvement in the investigation into an alleged "homegrown" terrorist group.

The Star story did not identify him by name due to provisions of the Witness Protection Program Act that make it an offence to disclose the identity of a police agent.

But Shaikh said yesterday he has declined an offer by police to enter the program that would have given him a new identity and moved his family out of the city. The 30-year-old said his decision to break his silence came after he was inundated with calls from the Muslim community encouraging him to do so.

His role was widely known throughout the community since he was often seen with the suspects, but was not arrested June 2 in the massive police raids.

In an interview with the Star yesterday he said he wanted to "take control of the story" and describe his motivation for getting involved with Canada's spy service and federal police force.

"I wanted to prevent the loss of life," he said.

"There are no combatants on the downtown streets of Toronto," he said concerning the allegations now facing 17 suspects arrested June 2.

"I don't want Canadians to think that these (suspects) are what Muslims are. I don't believe in violence here. I wanted to help and I'm as homegrown as it gets."

Shaikh, who was born in Toronto and was a decorated Royal Canadian Army Cadet as a teenager, said he became devoted to Islam about 10 years ago.

He said he supports the jihad in Afghanistan and Iraq, but not attacks on civilians at home.

The RCMP alleges that the 17 terrorism suspects arrested last month formed a group whose goals included bombing targets in southern Ontario.

Shaikh said he first approached Canada's spy service in 2004 after the arrest of Mohammad Momin Khawaja, the first person in Canada to be charged with criminal terrorism offences. Shaikh knew Khawaja and his family and offered CSIS help.

Last year, he said he was asked by the Canadian Security Intelligence Service to try to infiltrate the Toronto group, which had been under surveillance, by befriending alleged leader Fahim Ahmed.

Once he gained Ahmed's trust, Shaikh said he met other members of the group and helped lead what police allege was a "training camp" last December. Police allege members of the camp — located in a Washago, Ont., field — dressed in camouflage, used guns for target practice, and sources said they taped a video used to recruit others.

During the time last fall that he worked undercover for CSIS, and then the RCMP, Shaikh became an internationally controversial figure in his public life.

`I don't believe in violence here. I wanted to help ...'

Mubin Shaikh, undercover police agent

Shaikh was the province's most vocal advocate for allowing the use of sharia law, a set of Muslim rules and guidelines, to settle family law matters under Ontario's arbitration act.

A picture of him jostling with a female protestor outside Queen's Park was carried worldwide. The province eventually decided to outlaw binding religious arbitration.

Shaikh is also the multicultural chair for Liberal MP Alan Tonks' York South-Weston riding association.

His biography on Tonks' website reads: "Traveller, philosopher, theologian, Mubin Shaikh is not your ordinary Torontonian. At first look, one might think they've encountered an extremist but on second take, you realize you've been had!"

Tonks said he has had a 10-year relationship with Shaikh and his father.

"Mubin just articulates that sort of loyalty to the country, that acts of terrorism that have occurred are aberrations to their concept of (Islam)," Tonks said in an interview yesterday.

"His overall loyalty to the country is unquestionable."

While he didn't know Shaikh was involved with police, he said he was not surprised he would offer to help authorities.

Others question his motivation.

Echoing concerns raised by lawyers for the 17 suspects of entrapment, they question whether he instigated any of the alleged terrorist plans.

"This is like the pot calling the kettle black because Mr. Mubin Shaikh has been the exponent of Islamic extremism in this city.

``He has been the number one proponent of the imposition of sharia law in Canada, has been extremely hostile to all moderate Muslims, which calls into question whether he's acting out of sincerity or is he trying to fish himself out of his own troubles," Tarek Fatah, co-founder of the Muslim Canadian Congress, said yesterday.

Scarborough imam Aly Hindy, himself often accused of being an extremist, also questioned Shaikh's involvement.

"I don't think his role was just to inform what was happening, he was making things happen," Hindy said.

"There's a big difference between when you see something wrong and you inform the authorities and when you start actually inciting things to happen."

Shaikh said the case was conducted "by the book," and that he looked forward to testifying when cases for those charged reach trial.

That's when he should be judged, he said.

He said he supports the jihad in Afghanistan and Iraq, but not attacks on civilians at home.
Hold on, so he supports the death of our soldiers as well as our allies.

His overall loyalty to the country is unquestionable
His loyalty to our country is unwaivering, yet he endorses the jihad against our country and its allies. Is this not paradoxical, or is it so early in the morning that I'm not reading the article properly?

tamouh said:
..........Seriously, why don't Canadians in general organize a anti-terrorism protest and I guarantee you the Muslim community will be at the head of the march.

We did.

They are marching in Afghanistan right now

tamouh said:
Again, George....go watch the interviews and wait for the fifth estate report , you have no idea what you're talking about because many community leaders were aware of this operation.

He choose what he wanted to do and he made the right decision, Muslims and Canadians appreciate that.

Hmmm....Well one MAJOR community leader who apppears NOT to have been aware of the operation, and who DOES NOT appear to apprieciate it was Aly Hindy.

This is very curious considering he appears to be the major mouthpiece for Muslims in Ontario, if not the nation. He is a regular on the CBC and TVO's Studio 2. Among other things, he was/is one of the major propopents of Sharia courts in Canada.

What is also curious is that Mr. Hindy is the Imam of the Salaheddin Mosque in Scarborough, and claims to personally know more than half of those charged, and has also openly stated that he is a personal friend of the Khadr family. He also claims total ignorance of Jihadi terrorist recruitment DVD's being handed out in his parking lot from the trunks of cars.

And now, it looks like Mr. Hindy is claiming that the informant is in fact the instigator.

Ahhhh, will wonders ever cease.

Octavianus said:

Right or wrong, its your government, but one should always support the troops. This guy wants them DEAD!

Having an opinion on our politics is one thing, but this is way over the top!

Another waste of rations, and a cancer on western society and our way of life. What is he going to educate his children? This re-ignites my question, why do they come here in droves?

Personally, I find it totally disgusting and UN-CANADIAN that someone is for and SUPPORTS not only the death of Canadian soldiers, but other allied soldiers also.

Supporting such should end with deportation!

He publically says this and lives in your country, Canada!

We as Canadains are accepting people, freedom of speech and all, but this is unacceptable behaviour, full stop! I'd like to see him confront a few friends and family members of fallen soldiers, and have him put in his place!

We know where is loyalties are. So does CSIS and the Mounties.

Shame on him.

Anyone who sticks up or defends this spineless jellyfish of a so called 'person' is just as bad.

Wes

He said he supports the jihad in Afghanistan and Iraq, but not attacks on civilians at home

Where you are getting this BS from ? I see no quote supporting that argument and as far as I know that person went exclusively to CBC with the story, so anyone quoting or spreading the story are all sourcing from CBC.

I've seen the interview, read the articles and there is NOTHING about him saying he supports jihad in afghanistan and iraq. The only comment in that regard was prior to his involvement he had ideas that jihad in afghanistan, chechnya and iraq is a duty....but he continued on to explain how he progressed from that stage of "lost" to what he did.

This is the CBC article, and wait for The Fifth Estate report:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/toronto-bomb-plot/shaikh.html

Quote,

I agree with Tamouh, we have seen first-hand how the press warps things, unless we see this type of statement in quotation marks or an audio/video recording, then its grain of salt time folks.

On the link provided by Tamouh :

"I remember specifically being at that stage where I was ready to go to Chechnya, I was ready to go to Afghanistan. I wanted to do some jihad-oriented thing," he said. "But I was lucky that I was exposed to people who I could talk to, who could correct my understanding."

So he never moved on his jihad convictions and was talked out of it... quite contrasting with

''He said he supports the jihad in Afghanistan and Iraq, but not attacks on civilians at home.''

Khawaja had guns in house
trial: Ottawa man had cellphone jammer, books on jihad, British court told
Wednesday, July 19, 2006 Ottawa Citizen
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=1785c6ae-74dc-41b3-9dd0-ce7ff83016d7

Ian MacLeod and Sarah Knapton, The Ottawa Citizen; The Central News agency, London.
Published: Wednesday, July 19, 2006
Police discovered guns, ammunition, electrical components and books on terrorism and jihad during a raid on the Ottawa home of accused terrorist Momin Khawaja, a British court was told yesterday.

The prosecution evidence emerged at the London trial of seven British men charged with conspiring to bomb sites in and around London, including nightclubs, trains and a major shopping centre.

British authorities allege Mr. Khawaja, 27, played a "vital role" in the suspected plot by making remote-controlled detonators to be used to explode bombs constructed from 600 kilograms of ammonium nitrate fertilizer the group allegedly acquired.

Though he is named as a conspirator in the case, Mr. Khawaja has not been charged by British authorities with any crime.

Instead, he is to stand trial in Ottawa in January as the first person charged under Canada's Anti-Terrorism Act.
More on link

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1153260642998&call_pageid=970599119419

Canada's terror laws weak: FBI chief
Mueller says tougher sentencing will prevent `havens'
Conference stresses co-operation between U.S. and Canada
Jul. 19, 2006. 05:55 AM
MICHELLE SHEPHARD
STAFF REPORTER

Canada's laws are too weak to deal with terrorism, the head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation says.

FBI Director Robert Mueller said yesterday that tougher sentences are needed to encourage suspects to provide intelligence and to prevent the country from becoming a "haven" for terrorist networks.

"Countries that do not afford extended jail time for those who engage in support of material terrorism are opening themselves up in my mind to the possibility that these networks will find a haven from which to operate," Mueller told reporters yesterday at a Toronto conference.

Canada's terrorism laws, introduced in 2001, are now being reviewed in Ottawa and have been criticized by some as compromising civil liberties.

But Mueller says the laws need sharper teeth, like the American terrorism laws that feature a lower threshold of proof and provisions for life sentences. Tough jail sentences not only serve as a general deterrent, but also can be used to bargain cooperation, he argued. "Intelligence comes from those individuals who want to undertake attacks," Mueller said.

"You need to encourage those persons that it's in their best interest to provide that intelligence. If you do not have the laws that will result in substantial incarceration there is not that incentive to provide that intelligence."

The FBI's international training conference, where Mueller addressed more than 2,000 participants last night, was dedicated to strengthening ties between the international police and intelligence community. It's the first time that the conference, held by the FBI's national academy, is being held outside the United States. It wraps up today.

Since 9/11, co-operation between the U.S. and Canada has increased. There are now 10 FBI agents stationed in Canada, two working out of Toronto's U.S. consulate.

But FBI officials were careful to note that the agents have limited authority in Canada.

"Our agents really are, in a sense, diplomats," said Michael Kortan, the bureau's Washington chief of public affairs.

"They come here essentially as a liaison role to work with Canadian services, whether it's law enforcement or security."

Last month's arrest of 17 terrorism suspects allegedly plotting to blow up southern Ontario targets, and with suspected ties to two suspects in the U.S. and others in Europe, was promoted yesterday as an example of international law enforcement collaboration.

But Canada's first major terrorism investigation after 9/11, involving Canadian Maher Arar, who was deported by the U.S. to Syria in 2002, then tortured and held without charges, resulted in a federal inquiry that probed information-sharing agreements and criticism that Canada's relationship with the U.S. was too cozy. The inquiry's report on the Arar affair is expected in September.

When asked what lessons were learned from Arar's case, Mueller said domestic laws must be respected, but that there could be no barriers to the exchange of information.

"It's absolutely essential in this day and age when the terrorists can use modern communication, modern travel and the Internet, that we have the ability to exchange information on threats swiftly."

Mueller is wrong. We don't need more laws, tougher laws, better-worded laws, or in-laws. We simply need to enforce the ones we already have. Do some crazy shit like, oh....I dunno....punish wrong-doers?

Now Paracowboy...you're getting all worked up.  If you punish these people ("wrongdoer" implies that you're imposing your value-judgements on these people, please use another term), you'll make them feel excluded from Canadian society, and that would make them sad.  You don't want to make people sad do you?

I think you need more Kum-By-Yah around the campfire, I really do....

;D

Gunnar said:
;D

or soothing ohmms said repeatedly while in the lotus position..

Gunnar said:
Now Paracowboy...you're getting all worked up.  If you punish these people ("wrongdoer" implies that you're imposing your value-judgements on these people, please use another term), you'll make them feel excluded from Canadian society, and that would make them sad.  You don't want to make people sad do you?

;D

Oh I get it now.....It's reverse psychology. By not severely punishing violent offenders, they won't re offend because they won't be pissed , and put all the blame for their lack of reason and judgment on the police and society. We shouldn't punish offenders ( or, criminal Sh$tbags, if you will) because that would make them even more disenfranchised with society and the police. Those judges.....crafty swine! By not paying attention to the offenders they won't re offend. Elementary , my dear Watson!

Speaking of criminals....I just got to  watch two gang members beat the crap of of each other for a whole 2 minutes in the holding cells at my courthouse. Great lunchtime fun I tells ya. We should encourage this and sell tickets. The proceeds can go to the victims of crime who seem to always get the short end of the stick by our "justice" system.

** UPDATE **

August 4th.

A 19 year old from Mississauga, Ontario was also arrested today in connection with this plot (This now makes 18 charged)

http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/news/shownews.jsp?content=n080455A

Real life saga:

http://www.bloggingtories.ca/btFrameset.php?URL=http://pumpkin-watch.blogspot.com/2007/02/little-cell-in-city.html&title=Little%20Cell%20in%20the%20City

Little Cell in the City

Not coming to CBC anytime soon...

He is a 31-year-old Canadian-born Muslim who disavowed the mosque to fit in with his neighborhood friends, then rejected that life to practice traditional Islam. Later, he used his stature in the Muslim community to infiltrate a suspected terrorist cell, and then helped expose it — an act that alienated him from many in his own circles.

Shaikh's struggle with identity and loyalty is part of a larger conundrum confronting Western nations with edgy and diverse Islamic populations. He thought his ability to straddle worlds was the answer to quelling the homegrown terrorism that has stunned London, Madrid and now Toronto. But it has only raised more questions.

The suspected cell's plan, prosecutors said in June, was to explode three truck bombs in front of Toronto police and intelligence headquarters and Parliament Hill, then take politicians hostage and behead them one by one. The group of 18 had acquired 3 tons of what it thought was explosive material when police moved in, authorities say.

To some, Shaikh is a hero, acting to protect not only Canada but Islam. Others charge that he enabled the plotters instead of acting to stop them, betrayed his brethren and reinforced the image of Muslims as terrorists in this country where more than half a million practice Islam.

Now he faces death threats, which he doesn't take seriously, and glares and cold shoulders in the mosque, which he does. As preliminary hearings for the suspects begin, the anguished questions revive: Did he do all he could? Was it necessary? Will he survive it?

Read the rest here.

Labels: Islamic extremism

posted by Linda @ 10:39 AM 
0 Comments:

From hero to zero in 10 seconds flat.............

Piper.... It's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't
keep mum about it, try to talk sense into the radicalized young'uns AND, maybe they cease their activities (and life is wonderful and everyone lives happily ever after) OR maybe they put their plan into effect anyway, the bombs go off, a few heads are lopped off and Islam is branded as a bunch of rabid loonies - and their name is MUD
OR
hang out to dry the muslim community's dirty laundry.  broadcast it over the world & the bombs are made safe, everyone keeps his head - and Islam is branded as a bunch of rabid loonies - and their name is MUD

Hero = Zero in this case

To anyone who glares at this man in the mosque extra, maybe they should think about that, unless they are radicals themselves then in "hanging out to dry the muslim community's dirty laundry" He saved that community of the hate, fear and distrust that would have been the outcome of this cells actions and against Islamic teachings that they assure non-muslims as truth.

He only did what he thought was right for his country and his religion.

Back