• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thunderflash

The "goody" as you call it, is a metal based flash powder. It's not a particularly good idea to cut into any ordnance to see what's inside.

XMP said:
The "goody" as you call it, is a metal based flash powder. It's not a particularly good idea to cut into any ordnance to see what's inside.

yes, I know I was quite a bit younger at the time and curiousity got the better of me. . .  :p

AmmoTech90 said:
Not in a t-flash it's not.

Well it's been many years, but things change I guess. It used to be Comp. SR 133 as I recall, which has over 50% of a powdered metal.
No specifics.

FWIW a section mate of mine had an issue with one of the newer T-flashes, went off in the cargo pocket of his pants while doing section attacks, unprepped and all. Incident report filed and all t-flashes were seized from the rest of our company. Needless to say, he was happy he didnt have it in his pants pocket or shoved in a mag pouch like others. I will leave it up to your imagination what would have happened, but his cargo pocket had a few ventholes after it went off.

I've seen a number of individuals suffer Thunderflashes going off in their cargo pockets.
In all instances, they had "prepared" their thunderflashes by removing the tape but keeping the end cap in place.

Unfortunately, running around in the field, the cap falls off & the matchhead rubbs against the striker surface on another (or same) end cap..... bang!!!  No serious injury - but users had not followed proper safety priocedures.

At least it wasn't a groundburst simulator ....

geo said:
I've seen a number of individuals suffer Thunderflashes going off in their cargo pockets.
In all instances, they had "prepared" their thunderflashes by removing the tape but keeping the end cap in place.

Unfortunately, running around in the field, the cap falls off & the matchhead rubbs against the striker surface on another (or same) end cap..... bang!!!  No serious injury - but users had not followed proper safety priocedures.

Yeah otherwise there would a good chunck of said person missing.

acen said:
FWIW a section mate of mine had an issue with one of the newer T-flashes, went off in the cargo pocket of his pants while doing section attacks, unprepped and all. Incident report filed and all t-flashes were seized from the rest of our company. Needless to say, he was happy he didnt have it in his pants pocket or shoved in a mag pouch like others. I will leave it up to your imagination what would have happened, but his cargo pocket had a few ventholes after it went off.

geo said:

Based on what geo has said, seems someone didn't follow the proper saftey precautions.

I was going to say, were his trousers on fire right before it functioned?  It isn't going to function unless the cap comes off and it is ignited.  He may not have noticed the cap of come off, but a T-flash isn't going to function because you ran quickly with it.

I know it doesnt sound right, but the individual swears that the tape was left on, FWIW, i trust the guy. That being said, who knows, but it did make for an interesting moment to say the least. Nobody was hurt, and thats what mattered in this occasion, and consequentially we all pay a little bit more attention to the T-flashes and other pyro when issued. Now if only we had a proper place to put them besides our cargo pockets or slipped in the daisy chains like 9bangers.

Where do you think we carried them before the Tac-Vest.

AmmoTech90 said:
I was going to say, were his trousers on fire right before it functioned?  It isn't going to function unless the cap comes off and it is ignited.  He may not have noticed the cap of come off, but a T-flash isn't going to function because you ran quickly with it.

Unless the pants were corduroy, the friction from running in that stuff could melt titanium.... 8)

acen said:
I know it doesnt sound right, but the individual swears that the tape was left on, FWIW, i trust the guy.

As quoted by our resident  ;D 'ATO' ;D these things don't go off by themselves. The tape had to be removed (obviously for 'time saving' or similar 'cool' reason), the cap then came off while in transit, then both cap and body happily bouncing around until some unlucky friction then ignited the device in his pocket.

He is lucky his cargo pocket was the only casualty.

Regards,

Wes

Stuff happens...
On my very first ex (BMQ) I witnessed a fairly major accident.  Our section was in reserve and the Pl WO called for a paraflare from our section commander, and then cancelled.  By the time he canceled it, the sect comd had removed both endcaps and tossed them out the trench, in the night, in the weeds...oh well, wrap the cord around the body and place it on the lip of the trench.  Cue us doing a clearing patrol an hour later, he hops out, grabs the flare and stuffs it in his cargo pocket.  We're going up a trail, contact he has to change mags on his SMG...this is when the trouble starts.
He normally carried an FN and didn't have SMG pouches so guess where he put the SMG mags?
Same pocket as the flare.
Pulls out a mag and fires the flare at the same time, whoosh, bang as it launches and hits the top of nearby tree.
Pte AT90 is further down the trail thinking, "wow, that's some neat stuff...rockets and everything."  Until the section comd comes hopping down the trail holding one leg going "f**, f**, f**" and falls down in front of me.  He spent the night at the hosp and the rest of the ex in his sleeping bag recovering from severe burns on his leg.

Just goes to show, bad kit can cause accidents.  Was it his fault, only partially in my mind.  The bigger problem is he was probably not the only person who was at risk because of poor kit or lack of proper kit.

Fruit goes off.
Explosives function.  ;D

bad kit ???  NO!!!  The flare operated as advertized - The section commander didn't

If you take off the end caps, you hang onto em until you fire off the flare.  If you don't fire the flare, you replace the endcaps OR you set the darned thing asside - either unitl you recover the endcaps OR until Endex when the darned thing can be safely disposed of.

The accident was preventable
The section commander was at fault and blame should go his way...

Yes there was an error of drill.

However, had the section commander had proper magazine pouches the accident wouldn't have happened.

There can be more than one reason for an accident.

End caps on a para flare?

I was thinking earlier that I was getting old...

Clearly not that old.

SMG? What the heck is that? Is it like an LMG?

;D

The Sterling submachine gun is a British submachine gun which was in service with the British Army from 1953 until 1988 when it was phased out with the introduction of the L85A1.

A Canadian version was also manufactured under licence, called the Submachine Gun 9 mm C1 made by Canadian Arsenals Limited. It replaced the later versions of the Sten submachine gun from 1953 onwards

300px-Sterling_SMG.JPG

Back