• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thunderflash

Before my time, but they didn't call it the room clearer for nothing.

;D

But it looks like if you get some sand in it the action might make a screeeech sound as it moved forward.  ;D

I will defer that question to the more seasoned members of the site.

NFLD Sapper said:
The Sterling submachine gun is a British submachine gun which was in service with the British Army from 1953 until 1988 when it was phased out with the introduction of the L85A1.

A Canadian version was also manufactured under licence, called the Submachine Gun 9 mm C1 made by Canadian Arsenals Limited. It replaced the later versions of the Sten submachine gun from 1953 onwards

300px-Sterling_SMG.JPG

CAL did not start making them until 1959, production ceased in, I think 1966, not 68 like the 8L's. Serials began with 0S1234, and changed a letter after every 10,000 guns. 1S1234, 2S1234 etc.

Hummmm, SMG, 9mm, C1 0S1884 comes to mind right now, ha! Funky clip on sling and fun green plastic cleaning kit with pull thru, jags, cleaning patches, and a built in olier which always leaked into ones pocket or webbing.

The Cdn SMG stood out by itself, a hybrid version of it's UK cousin. The gun differed in many ways, including its own design for a trigger group (internally and externally), a new trigger guard (arctic adaptation), a one piece bolt (UK gun was two), the use of some C1 rifle parts (yes believe it or naught), and used the C1 bayonet, as the UK gun used the No5 JC bayonet which would not fit on the L1A1 SLR. The SMG's folding butt assembly was also machined differenly than its UK counterpart.

Our Cdn mags were 10 and 30rd capacities, and I am sure many on here can remember the OD Star Wars holsters w/velcro too. The 34rd mags did appear near the end of her service Force wide. These were UK made mags, and so marked. I don't know when the old family of weapons were finally removed from official service, but Saskatchewan lost the C1, C2 and C1 SMG to the C7/C9 in the fall of 1990. The 1982 pattern webbing had a mag pouch developed for the SMG also, but the 1964 Pattern had nothing. I am sure I rocked a few memories. Somehow, some way, some C1 SMGs appeared in Ziare, coming out of the closet in 1985, and ending up in the UK before making their way back into Canada. Some nostelgia there.

Ah, those old paraflares. When I left in 1995, they had evolved somewhat with no more strings to pull, or top end caps etc. To this day, the most superior flare I have seen, and better than our's by far.

Regards,

OWDU

Last time I fired a SMG was at CFAD Dundurn, SK, 1991.  I believe that bolt going forward had more impact than the recoil...

A nice weapon to fire but very "pointy".  In new hands you could have the muzzle going everywhere.

None of those left in Dundurn now. Interestingly enough the new QL-3 AT course did their tour of the wpn tech school today and the SMG was one of the items out for display and everyone got a chance to check it out. Not as popular as the MP-5SD though.

The SMG was a "fun" weapon - lousy safety though.... in 1970 - fella ended up shooting himself when he jumped out of the box of a 3/4 ton SMP.  The bold went back & forward.... bang & he was dead.

However, going back to the paraflare, the new one has the twisty handle to fire... a better Idea - less chance of having string problems - remember one fella who lost / broke the string on his paraflare.  He decided that he could fire it with the use of a pair of gloves & pliers... it went off....

geo said:
The SMG was a "fun" weapon - lousy safety though.... in 1970 - fella ended up shooting himself when he jumped out of the box of a 3/4 ton SMP.  The bold went back & forward.... bang & he was dead.
His action was closed with a loaded mag. The change lever/selector was was either at R or A (should have been at S) at the time, as when at S with the bolt forward the bolt stays locked (will not move), as a safety feature to prevent a UD. When he jumped out of the vehicle, the inertia of impact was enough to cause the action to go back far enough to pick up a rd (but not back far enough to lock the action into the cocked position), and discharge it. Not to speak ill of the dead, but his death was preventable, and in his own hands.

When the C1 SMG fires, there is an armourer's term called 'pre-ignition', which means the cartridge is fired by the fixed firing pin as the bolt moves forward after the trigger is squeezed, even (but just) before the caseing is fully seated in the chamber.

The C1 SMG, for an open bolt gun was well designed, and in the hands of a well trained soldier was safe and effective. The UK silenced version, the L34A1 was in the Aussie system less than 10 yrs ago.

Cheers,

Wes

Wes,
The incident in question happened just at the time I was taking my basic.....
Obviously, a lot of additional care was given to instruction with such a fresh example... I never had an issue with it - but others swear the gun would go off - safety and all.  Never happened to me - but obviously the weapon musta been defective if it went off on them ;)

:)
I was excited when first told that I was going to carry a SMG until I realized the radio came with it  ???
As I recall, it was pretty reliable - it could be covered in crap and it would still fire. It was great for the combat divers as the water would drain from the barrel quickly and the rest of it was not affected by it.
What do the divers use these days?

Anyway, back on topic...
I can imagine the cap on the TF getting damp and, with the constant up-and-down and slamming in the ground when doing a section attack, the tape loosening up and the cap breaking off - I remember some pretty mangled TF after traversing the Mattawa plain for the 6th time doing SA during CLC.

cheers,
Frank

Back