• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Wanting To Join Another Military" Thread- Them To Us- Us To Them

I'd like to know about the Canadian Army's policy on foreign nationals. I know Permenent Residents can serve in the Canadian Army, but what if you're in another country and want to join the Canadian Army? Other countries allow foreign nationals to serve in their military, does Canada and where can information be obtained about that? Thank you.

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/v3/engraph/resources/howtojoin_en.aspx?bhcp=1

Basic Eligibility Requirements    Top   

To be eligible for consideration for the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following minimal conditions:

* be a Canadian citizen;
          o Citizens of another country who have landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status in Canada may also be considered for enrolment when the CF has need of their skill, when the position cannot be filled by a Canadian citizen, and if the national interest would not be prejudiced. However, only under exceptional circumstances will authority be granted to enrol a citizen of another country.

* be 17 years of age (with parental/guardian consent) or older;
          o junior level Military College applicants must be 16 years of age;
          o you may be enrolled in the Reserves providing you are 16 years of age;

* meet the minimum education requirements for your entry plan and/or occupation;
          o this can vary from Grade 10 (Sec III in Quebec) for combat arms occupations to a university degree for the Direct Entry Officer entry plan.

cplcaldwell said:
Take a look at the Recruiting site

No, Canada does not have a Foreign Legion or a Regiment of Gurkhas (or similar thing..)

BUT HOW COULD WE NOT!!!!!!!!!

Imagine having a company of "crazy canuks"!!!

Now that's a better name than foreign legion or gurkhas... crazy canuks!

Of course, like the foreign legion we'd have to make them learn our language, i.e. Canadian.
Which really just means saying eh without realizing it and saying Toronto like "toronna".

;D

No I don't mean a foreign legion, I mean joining the regular Canadian Army if you are in another country.

adubois said:
No I don't mean a foreign legion, I mean joining the regular Canadian Army if you are in another country.

What part of the response by Michael O'leary did you not understand?

Or did you fail to read it and want someone to spell it out for you.

NO
  However, only under exceptional circumstances will authority be granted to enrol a citizen of another country.
  So essentially NO.

Your location is not particularly important. Your citizenship is.

• If you are a Canadian living in Poland, no problem.
  • If you are a Pole living in Canada, problem.
  • If you are a Pole living in Poland, problem.

My allusion to a Foreign Legion, is for example, how the French get around the problem of having non-citizens in the Army. We don't do that

As Trinity says, see Mr O'Leary's post, its cut-and-paste from the CF recruiting site.

No slight to Poles intended, in fact I never met a Pole I didn't like, here or in Poland ;D

How long do you have to live in Canada to become a permenent resident? I tried googling it but couldn't find anything specific.

Thanks to Google:

How to Become a Canadian Citizen
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen/menu-howto.html

I am close to graduate in Industrial Engineering and Mechanical Engineering (it's a double degree here) from Uruguay. I am fluent in english and get some french (and native spanish and portuguese and some italian)

What are my chances of becoming a DEO, as landed immigrant or with a citizenship waiver?  :cdn:

I want to be full time in the Army, with the zappers.

Gustavo Sosa

so, in 3 yeasr i can become a candian citizen?
i have alredy 1 year, just studying english in p.e.i.
1 more year to study personal training in halifax
1 more year working or doing whatver (in canadian territory of course)

after that, citizenship?

You have to apply and wait for bureaucracy to follow it's course.

Look it up on the internet......... it's all there.

I would be interested in hearing from any recruiters on the board who would have experience with other Commonwealth countries joining the CF. With regards to having prior military experience in specialty fields  ;). Please PM/IM me for specifics.

Regards

Rj 

I am currently working on Canadian citizenship, am in the United States Marine Corps in Okinawa, and would like to continue my career in the Canadian military.  How much trouble would I have in the dispensation from my current EAS to enlisting in the CF?  Would I need to speak to a prior-service recruiter since I will have been former active duty military or no?

Since you have to be in Canada to obtain a citizenship you have a long way to go.  Move to Canada, get your citizenship and then you can join the CF.

Not sure if im posting in the right part of the forum, if im not then plz forgive, thx.

I have been thinking about joining for quite some time now, and i would have joined if i had gotten my citizenship, but i haven't yet. So this brings up a question thats been on my mind for a while now.

"Can i join the army even tho i do not have my citizenship yet?"

I have already applied, been waiting for about 4 months now, i have gotten the study package in mail, but no test date yet.

I heard something about landed immigrants being able to join before they get their citizenship but do not know if it's true.

Can anyone give me any info about this matter, please?

Thank you:)

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/v3/engraph/resources/howtojoin_en.aspx?bhcp=1#be

To be eligible for consideration for the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following minimal conditions:

- be a Canadian citizen;

- Citizens of another country who have landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status in Canada may also be considered for enrolment when the CF has need of their skill, when the position cannot be filled by a Canadian citizen, and if the national interest would not be prejudiced. However, only under exceptional circumstances will authority be granted to enrol a citizen of another country.

Hello All--
I am new to the forum but was hoping it could assist me in answering a question regarding the Reserves. I am currently a Permanent Resident of Canda who is eligible for Canadian Citizenship in November 2007. Because of the lengthy application time for Citizenship I will miss the start of (weekend) Basic Training that runs from January to June, and will have to wait another full year to complete Basic. I was wondering if there was any type of waiver I might get so that I can join the Reserves NOW with the intent of getting my citizenship when I am eligibe.

If anyone has any contact ideas please let me know. All suggestions will help. I meet all of the entry requirements except for the Citizenship part!!

Cheers!!!

There is also the issue of how long you have lived in Canada. I do not remember the specifics of how long you need to live in Canada for you not to have a background check. The background check itself will take sometimes near a year to be processed. If you do not have to take the background check, but cannot join because of your citizenship issue, then after you do get your citizenship there is also the possibility of joining some units in the Fall. Good luck. 

Thanks--

I will join and start training with a Unit ASAP, that is my plan. I have undergone numerous background checks (FBI, New York State Police, RCMP fingerprinting) for Immigration...you would think that would be sufficient. I have also lived in Canada close to 4 years, but only 1.5 as a Permanent Resident (they require 2 as a PR for Citizenship).

I'm just not sure who to get in touch with to attempt getting a waiver to join now??

Back