• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Wanting To Join Another Military" Thread- Them To Us- Us To Them

I would dare say go in to the recruiting center and ask. You have nothing to loose.

Besides, getting your citizenship will at least give you better odds of getting in anyways. Why wait?

Regards

rolandsg said:
Hi Franko,

I apologize for not making it clear. What I mean by permanent resident is a landed immigrant who resides in Canada (has permanent resident status) but who does not hold Canadian citizenship yet.

On the recruiting website it says that normally you need to hold Canadian Citizenship but one can request a waiver from the Canadian Forces Recruiting Group Headquarters of this requirement if you poses skills currently in demand . I was mostly wandering if anybody knows of anybody who's ever accomplished this. I saw a lot of posts and opinions on this issue but nothing factual... it seems to be a very gray area...

I was also wandering if lets say I decided to send an application
(for citizenship waiver) just for kicks and it gets denied, Will this affect me negatively if I decided to try again in the future...

I'm 24 now and I'd really like to do this know as I'm afraid that a few years down the line I'll be too tangled up in other things to pull this through

Thanks a lot

You must have skills that are very much in demand in order to get in with a waiver of citizenship. This usually translates into specialized military quals which therefore almost invariably means you have experience in another country's forces.  You can frankly forget even trying otherwise and whats more- you will be wasting a recruiters time who has better things to do.  Get citizenship and go from there.

You would also be well advised to search the site as this has been covered any number of times already...

You were correct by the way-Permanent Resident is the term for what used to be called a Landed Immigrant and it is used to differentiate between citizens and those who have immigrated but not qualified/applied for citizenship. 

hi,  ;D
I'm a 33 year old female, Class 2 PTI in the British Army, :pushup: my rank is Cpl, I've spent 10 years in the army, the first 9 as a Vehicle Mechanic and the last 4 as a PTI, the last 2 I've spent as a full time PTI training recruits at the main training regiment in the UK. I'm looking for some information regarding transferring across to the Canadian army as a PTI.  ??? 
1. Am i to old? :-X
2. Could i join up as a PTI, or is it like the British Army where you have to start out in another trade? :tank:
3. Are British Military qualifications recognised in the Canadian Army? :argument:

bygeorge said:
hi,  ;D
I'm a 33 year old female, Class 2 PTI in the British Army, :pushup: my rank is Cpl, I've spent 10 years in the army, the first 9 as a Vehicle Mechanic and the last 4 as a PTI, the last 2 I've spent as a full time PTI training recruits at the main training regiment in the UK. I'm looking for some information regarding transferring across to the Canadian army as a PTI.  ???   
1. Am i to old? :-X
2. Could i join up as a PTI, or is it like the British Army where you have to start out in another trade? :tank:
3. Are British Military qualifications recognised in the Canadian Army? :argument:

Hi, well if the Canucks won't take ya, try www.defencejobs.gov.au or www.army.gov.au

Australia is always on the hunt for skilled soldiers who they feel would be an asset to the ADF. Plenty of British, Kiwis and the odd Canuck here, most former members of their respective Defence Forces, and happy they came accross.

The ADF should recognise portions of your fomer service, and they will explain what is required. They did with me, and anyone else that I have spoke to, all of course of the British Commonwealth.

Your REME qualifications are a bonus too, as my EME  courses etc were. All recognised except my SLC (WO's Course). I had to take a Corps Subject 2 for SGT within 12 months to keep my rank, and the same Corps Subject 2 for CPL possibly for you. Who knows, but worth while checking it out.

Canada and Australia have many things in common, former colonial places, vast countries, sparsley populated, and mainly from the same NW European background, and the climate here is a true asset.

Here the $$ is good, living conditions are excellent, as is the weather and the people. Plus after 2 yrs you get your citizenship, and you can't beat that.

Good luck, and if ya wanna know more feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

Wes

:salute:I am currently serving in the British Army reserve Royal Engineers, and I am looking to move to Canada in the not too distant future. What are the rules on british soldiers/citizens joing the Canadian reserve?

CF Recruiting web site: http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/contactus/index_e.aspx

... 1st of all, having said that, there is a current policy that stipulates "all" foreign nationals must obtain Cdn citzenship prior to enrolling into the CF BUT you might want to inquiring from the UK to do a foreign exchange "attached posting". the Cdn Forces does have agreements with the UK and Germany...
That my friend could be your "in".
Kincanucks is in the Recruiting mill and might have more data on this option.... else have someone in your unit Orderly room get you more info on the subject

Best of luck

CHIMO!

CFAO 223-11 -- FINANCIAL ARRANGEMENTS -- CANADIAN FORCES AND BRITISH ARMY PERSONNEL ON LOAN, EXCHANGE OR ATTACHMENT PURPOSE

1.    This order prescribes the financial arrangements for members of the
Canadian Forces (CF) and British Army, who are serving on loan, attachment
or exchange with the British Army or CF respectively.

GENERAL

2.    This order is based on an international agreement, developed prior to integration between the British Army and the Canadian Army. Thus the original terms, conditions and format must be retained until a new agreement is negotiated.

DEFINITIONS

3.    In this order:

ATTACHMENT
    means the agreement made between Canada and Britain whereby members of
    the CF or the British Army including students attending courses, are
    sent from Britain or Canada to serve in Canada or Britain
    respectively, under arrangements made between the two countries.

Hey all,

Does anybody have a hint about changing from the British to the Canadian Army? 

Currently I'm a Sgt in the Royal Tank Regiment, and my job is Tp Sgt/tank commander, tons of military quals and 17 years of experience.

Please help!

You might want to PM Dragoon19.  He did it years ago...from a situation almost exactly like yours.

Heh,

I know what the first mod's post is going to be...a lot of coloured text and probably the words "search" and "start reading" so I'll try to head that off.

Quag has made a nice little list of posts covering this already.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/39449.0.html

I know you've got the main hurdle overcome.  PM me and I can see who I can get in touch with on this side of the pond.

D

Citizens of another country who have landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status in Canada may also be considered for enrolment when the CF has need of their skill, when the position cannot be filled by a Canadian citizen, and if the national interest would not be prejudiced. However, only under exceptional circumstances will authority be granted to enrol a citizen of another country.

Information for Non-Canadian Citizens

Canadian Forces (CF) policy states that in order to be eligible for enrolment into the Forces, applicants must hold Canadian citizenship. The only exception made to this policy is as follows.

Applicants who: are not Canadian citizens, but do hold Permanent Resident Status; and possess specialized skills / qualifications the CF has need of and cannot fill with a Canadian citizen; and do not pose a risk to any national interest; may only be enrolled into the Canadian Forces if permission is granted by the Commander of the Canadian Forces Recruiting Group (CFRG).

Application Procedure for Non-
Canadian Citizens

As you do not currently hold Canadian citizenship, you will have to be granted a Citizenship Waiver by the Commander of CFRG before starting any of the selection testing. In order to do this you must provide a curriculum vitae (CV) or resume to:

Canadian Forces Recruiting Group Headquarters
Attention: SSO Selection
Canadian Forces Base Borden
PO Box 1000, Station Main
Borden, Ontario L0M 1C0

The CV / resume should include:

Personal Information

Name (in full)
Date and place of birth
Brief outline of where you have lived (include dates)
Where your immediate family is currently residing (include parent, siblings, spouse and parents-in-law)
Reasons for your relocation to Canada
Date of arrival in Canada and date, you were granted Permanent Resident Status

Education
Name of all educational institutions attended
Grade / Level completed and year of completion
Diplomas / Degrees awarded
Areas of specialization
Marks / Grade Point Averages
Apprenticeship / Journeyman qualifications

Employment
List all part-time, summer or full-time employment positions you have held
Dates for each position
Brief description of duties for each position
Qualifications or training you received "on-the-job"

Activities

List all volunteer positions you may have held
List all clubs / organizations / community groups you have belonged to
If there are any other points, or pertinent facts you would like to include, please feel free to do so.
Once you have submitted your CV / resume, it will be assessed by the Headquarters to determine what skills you possess that may be of benefit to the CF. Once this assessment has been completed you will be contacted directly and told whether or not a waiver of your citizenship has been granted. You will not undergo any of the selection testing until you have been granted this Citizenship Waiver.

Another avenue to explore might be the exchange programs that exist between the UK, German and Cdn forces for it's reserve personnel..... while I am not familiar with the actual policy, there are fairly extensive programs that you might be able to wiggle thru with.

has anyone heard of  someone successfully transferring from the British army (or any other commonwealth army) to the Canadian army. i have known a lot of people that have transferred to the New Zealand or Australian Army and wondered if it is possible with the Canadian Army.
cheers for any help.
Andy

Cole,
In many respects, it's a matter of the trade you have and if we are in dire need of em.
But everything and anything is possible..... not necessarily easy though.

cole said:
has anyone heard of  someone successfully transferring from the British army (or any other commonwealth army) to the Canadian army. i have known a lot of people that have transferred to the New Zealand or Australian Army and wondered if it is possible with the Canadian Army.
cheers for any help.
Andy

Yes certainly after they left the military they were in, immigrated to this country, became permanent residence and applied using the information I have posted above.  This is not the British military who have a Commonwealth Recruiting office and there is no quick way for someone from a Commonwealth country to get in our military.  That is all there is to it and there is no secret handshake.

im in French marines infantry (infantrie de marine) in the Régiment de Marche du Tchad been serving in the french army for 1 year i have a 5 years contract going in Chad in january for 5 months. when i finish my contract i want to come back to canada and join the  CF, i have the french and the canadian citizenship. can any one tell me if it is possible.

TDM,
if you have Cdn Citzenship, you certainly have an oportunity to join the CF.
Per the above post, you might have been eligible to join, as a Fr national by the end of your Contract with the French marines.

give us a call when your time is done.

Hi everybody. I'm kinda fed up of my highly corrupt Mexico and planning to move to Canada.
I'm 38, Simultaneous Interpreter (english-spanish) speak 80% french and some Italian. Mechanics trainer from VW. (Need practice, too much teaching). Would it be possible to apply for joining the Reserves? Thank you all for your kind comments and comprehension.
"I rather die on my feet than living on my knees" (Emiliano Zapata, Mexican revolutionary)  :salute:

soytokemon said:
Hi everybody. I'm kinda fed up of my highly corrupt Mexico and planning to move to Canada.
I'm 38, Simultaneous Interpreter (english-spanish) speak 80% french and some Italian. Mechanics trainer from VW. (Need practice, too much teaching). Would it be possible to apply for joining the Reserves? Thank you all for your kind comments and comprehension.
"I rather die on my feet than living on my knees" (Emiliano Zapata, Mexican revolutionary)  :salute:

Due to the fact you are a civilian who is not a citizen of Canada the answer would be no.

soytokemon said:
"I rather die on my feet than living on my knees" (Emiliano Zapata, Mexican revolutionary)

Quoting Mexican revolutionaries may also be a deterrant to your aspirations.  :tsktsk:

Back