• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....

KerryBlue said:
Feathers are some of the best blades that I have ever shaved with, terrifying sharp and will get you with even a mild razor the cleanest smoothest of shaves. One just has to be very attentive while using them cause one bad move and you'll be bleeding. My other go to's are Personna Blues, or Astra.

I always get weepers with them around my upper lip, I think the extra sharp blade is more flexible allowing it to flex around my stubble and dig in a bit. Being ludicrously careful I still get weepers so they don't work for me. Astras are good too, I have a couple packs of those I've tried. I'm constantly switching between the 20 or so different blades and sorting them from most preferred to least.

I think the safety razor itself has a lot to do with how well each blade works as well, they aren't all the same dimensions exactly, so a blade for on one may protrude more or less than another. I know sometimes if I'm not careful, my blades don't precisely align with the comb.

When I finish figuring out my favorite, maybe I'll put the others up for grabs on here for anyone who wants to try a selection.

PuckChaser said:
When does the couple layers of skin you took off start growing back? [emoji2]

Usually scabs over after 2 or so days  ;D

Reminds me of this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F7TMlrDXtw

Wow Its really that hard to get a beard chit huh?
I called the medical one in St jean and I couldn't get an appointment on my time since I have University as well. I got a date for a day when I have midterms
I had a beard chit for my DP1 Course this summer, and I tried to shave for the upcoming training year(reserves), but my face still breaks out like crazy.
This really sucks I'm not trying to deal with my face breaking out like this.

I have bit of a gripe, I've been in for a short time now (almost 4 years) and I had the unfortunate experience of being told I had to shave my moustache and seek permission to grow one... "...because the PAM states you can only grow one while on leave"

I'm pretty upset considering some other troops I'm working with currently are being allowed to grow moustache without permission or leave; but conveniently fall under a different supervisor.

I've read the CFP 265 and QR&O's, there's nothing that states I am required to be on leave let alone seek permission.

How can I address my memo politely to reflect this?

LunchMeat said:
I have bit of a gripe, I've been in for a short time now (almost 4 years) and I had the unfortunate experience of being told I had to shave my moustache and seek permission to grow one... "...because the PAM states you can only grow one while on leave"

I'm pretty upset considering some other troops I'm working with currently are being allowed to grow moustache without permission or leave; but conveniently fall under a different supervisor.

I've read the CFP 265 and QR&O's, there's nothing that states I am required to be on leave let alone seek permission.

Do you have a mustache on your NDI 20?

LunchMeat said:

I would love to see the ref for this!  I believe this is the deal for beards and females wanting to transition to longer hair...but I've never heard of this before...and I've seen more guys go a tour stache etc and never requested jack shit to do it.

I'd ask the supervisor for the ref and see what he/she has for ya...lol.

I stopped shaving my upper lip when I left Cornwallis in 1979. At no time in the intervening years has anyone asked me for proof of authority to have a mustache.

Somebody doesn't know what they're talking about.

LunchMeat said:

These are the shit reasons we lose people.

Your supervisor is an idiot...or an insecure idiot...or an insecure idiot that likes abusing "power" and likely is incapable of growing a moustache.

There is no regulation that I've ever seen saying you require permission to grow a moustache.

Ask your supervisor for the name of his dope dealer so you can be on the same wavelength as him/her/it.

MM

medicineman said:
Your supervisor is an idiot...or an insecure idiot...or an insecure idiot that likes abusing "power" and likely is incapable of growing a moustache.

There is no regulation that I've ever seen saying you require permission to grow a moustache.

Ask your supervisor for the name of his dope dealer so you can be on the same wavelength as him/her/it.

MM
MJP said:
These are the shit reasons we lose people.

Someone mentioned to me that it's the interpretation of the regulations, in that members must be clean shaven, but can have a moustache; and that growing on leave due to the fact that the growth period can look really bad.

Yet, this is the first time in my career so far anyone has made issue of it.

ModlrMike said:
I stopped shaving my upper lip when I left Cornwallis in 1979. At no time in the intervening years has anyone asked me for proof of authority to have a mustache.

Somebody doesn't know what they're talking about.

Only hassle I ever got when I attempted to grow one, was the ribbing of "what is that dirt on your upper lip?"  Only regulations I have seen on mustaches have been on trimming; not growing.

MJP said:
These are the crap reasons we lose people.

QFTT.

It's always amazing to see that at this big pot luck dinner that is the army, the only thing some people can bring to the table is kind of stupidity.

LunchMeat said:
Someone mentioned to me that it's the interpretation of the regulations, in that members must be clean shaven, but can have a moustache; and that growing on leave due to the fact that the growth period can look really bad.

Nothing to interpret - they're allowed without special growing requests.  The only thing you are likely going to have to put up with is like GW said...myself and my "evil win" in my unit were presidents of the cheesy moustache club there for a quite awhile until they were cultivated properly.

MM

There's also the risk that, a decade from now, someone will find a picture of you with the cheesy 'stache and blow it up to a huge size and post it around unit lines.

dapaterson said:
There's also the risk that, a decade from now, someone will find a picture of you with the cheesy 'stache and blow it up to a huge size and post it around unit lines.

That is correct...

MM

I saw your post on reddit, it's definitely something special.

I'd look into talking to another member of your chain of command and ask them to clarify the policy with your supervisor. "SGt Bloggins has asked me to shave my moustache and I can't find anything in the regs about it. Can you ask them why they feel it is an issue?"

Or maybe, ask them yourself?

Quick question

I use to have a medical for my beard ( since I honestly can't shave , my face is litterally bloody red and I have big acne problem )

Since I left and now I am going back in , I know that my old medical paper is not good anymore and that I will need to ask for a new one.

But as a "recruit" in the RCAF going on a new course as a new comer.  Can I try to get one ? Or do I need to do my entire course trying to shave ?

Back