• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

As a transport, an extra 3000 km and extra 65,000 kg ain't to shabby, either.
Just so I’m following, do you mean that the new multi role aircraft will be able to drink from the same tanks they refuel other aircraft from, and that consequently they go farther and lift heavier if they need to?

Just so I’m following, do you mean that the new multi role aircraft will be able to drink from the same tanks they refuel other aircraft from, and that consequently they go farther and lift heavier if they need to?
That's a quick and dirty comparison between the cargo capacity and ferry range of the A330 vs A310. But yes, my understanding is that the Airbus tankers can use the onboard fuel - both the older A310s and the new A330. Ready to be corrected by any experts.

What I think is crazy is how people don't want this work and instead want to work absolute garbage service industry jobs that pay less....

Do the Math on $48.00 an hour with a 40hr work week not including OT and you get roughly $92,000.00 a year. Accounting for OT, etc.... you know they are making $100,000.00+ a year.

Then compare it to cost of living and income metrics for the region:

The people who actually do these jobs are in the top 2-3% of earners in the Region more than likely.
Most people still want to live within a short drive of "home", and aspire to work in an office.

Trucking as far as I can tell, based on discussion with former truckers, is a gong show. Long hours, crappy conditions, and bosses expecting you to do more than is possible in the time given(aka. fake your logs). $100K sounds good, until you are having stress related health issues due to crap work conditions. That $40K job at Walmart might not pay for as many luxuries, but it comes with a pretty predictable schedule, and when you walk away you're away.

Most people still want to live within a short drive of "home", and aspire to work in an office.

Trucking as far as I can tell, based on discussion with former truckers, is a gong show. Long hours, crappy conditions, and bosses expecting you to do more than is possible in the time given(aka. fake your logs). $100K sounds good, until you are having stress related health issues due to crap work conditions. That $40K job at Walmart might not pay for as many luxuries, but it comes with a pretty predictable schedule, and when you walk away you're away.
As always, it all depends on who you work for of course. The company I was referencing has VERY GOOD Glassdoor Reviews.

I have a good buddy who is a long-haul truck driver, and your post nails it

There are some good trucking companies out there, absolutely.

But a lot of these companies want trips done in unreasonable timeframes & seem to go through drivers like crazy!

I do agree about the lesser paying job actually resulting in a better quality of life in some instances.

I’m old enough to have learned that $50k a year doing something rewarding, working with good people, and enjoying the job is a hands-down winner compared to $100k of working with weasels & hating the trip there

Maybe a mixed fleet with a light attack craft like the T-7 Red Hawk for lower intensity missionswould be a good idea. Boeing is looking to sell an armed version as a replacement for the F-5/CF-5.
Two_parked_Boeing_T-Xs_%28181005-F-PO640-0021%29.JPG

Maybe a mixed fleet with a light attack craft like the T-7 Red Hawk for lower intensity missionswould be a good idea. Boeing is looking to sell an armed version as a replacement for the F-5/CF-5.
good to get something for CAS and to augment 88 x 35's - not a lot based against the tasks the a/c is expected to sustain, not counting lost aircraft over the next 75 years of operating them......

CAS is a mission/effect not a platform.

If we went for a platform for dedicated CAS, maybe an AH would be a better choice.

Or convert Auroras to a “P-3 AIP/LSRS” config if/when CMMA is coming online…

RPAS will have the ability to do strikes as well.

A Boeing.....you going to have to wait a bit for things to change in Ottawa.

GoC approved the F-35, despite the 2015 campaign promise not to buy it.

I don't think Boeing's issues with the GoC will preclude them winning a bid (not this specifically, just in general), if their product is the best for Canada.

GoC approved the F-35, despite the 2015 campaign promise not to buy it.

I don't think Boeing's issues with the GoC will preclude them winning a bid (not this specifically, just in general), if their product is the best for Canada.
It the only dual fleet fighter option that makes sense with the F-35 is the F-15, and unless a drastic change occurs I can’t see it.

There is the KA-50 option as well, replace the Tutor and Hawks, plus 25 or so that are armed , which can do domestic and low threat missions. So if you want air support for Mali, your not sending a F-35 to do it. If a pilot needs some flight hours to stay current while doing a another task, they fly the cheaper aircraft.

Back