• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

STONEY said:
Is the writing on the wall.  A few observations First the Gripen can operate from just about any airport in Canada and highways.  The Super Hornet can operate from anywhere our present Hornet can operate from. The f-35 however is a different story, it requires a long runway huge maintenance facilities and special power sources not available at any Canadian base. Some of the countries that are getting them have found that they  will have to go from several fighter bases to only one base for the f-35 because of the huge outlay for required infrastructure .
Now we hear that Cold lake & Bagotville are being completely rebuilt (not that they don't need it) into fighter superbases with many new facilities. Is the open and transparent competition a farce or is the writing on the wall????

There's no use purchasing a new fighter to save money on some runways when said fighter could be obsolete in 25 years.

I think the F35 will be the fighter for the foreseeable future and if we want a fighter that isn't obsolete by 2060 then get the best fighter you can buy. Not the one that is able to take off on the runways we currently have.

:2c:

Attachments

• Boeings-FA-18-Block-III-Super-Hornet-Takes-First-Flight-2-1024x512.jpg
    Boeings-FA-18-Block-III-Super-Hornet-Takes-First-Flight-2-1024x512.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 73
The two that have been delivered are just test jets, I believe mostly to test their new cockpit configurations, displays, and primary systems.

I don't believe any production Block 3 models have rolled out yet.  Something interesting to watch for.

reveng said:
Once the budget cuts really take hold, you guys may need aircraft that can land on a public highway...  ;D

Possible...

reveng said:
Once the budget cuts really take hold, you guys may need aircraft that can land on a public highway...  ;D realize it will be your grandchildren who fly Canada's next 'new fighter'.

Also possible...

;D

Drallib said:
The new Block III Super Hornets that Boeing rolled out of final assembly I've noticed don't have the Conformal Fuel Tanks on them. Are those able to be attached afterwards?

The article I read said the Block III Super Hornet has shoulder mounted conformal fuel tanks. Mounted sounds like it can be added on later?

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2020/06/boeings-f-a-18-block-iii-super-hornet-takes-first-flight/

From these links they can be removed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_fuel_tank#:~:text=Conformal%20fuel%20tanks%20have%20the,be%20removed%20on%20the%20ground.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1015765

I think he was referring to the Hornet Life Extension program, which ultimately brought everything up to C standard? 

Or maybe his mind just hasn't wrapped itself around that when the script says legacy hornet, it's actually being literal  :D

CBH99 said:
I think he was referring to the Hornet Life Extension program, which ultimately brought everything up to C standard? 

Or maybe his mind just hasn't wrapped itself around that when the script says legacy hornet, it's actually being literal  :D

Would it be deemed an F-18A+ ? And how did you know it was scripted...

I remember, vaguely, YEARS ago when the CF-18 was being upgraded after the Kosovo campaign that the upgrades being done were basically bringing them in line with C/D standard.

There's been upgrades since then, so I'm really just pulling straw out of a hat at this point.  That article, for whatever reason, always stayed in my mind.

Between F-18 sales & upgrade programs for the USN, USMC, and the Super Hornet being considered in several fighter procurement programs currently and over the last few years (Swiss, Indians, Canadians, Finland, Kuwait, Australia, etc etc) I imagine that even if it wasn't totally scripted, he probably skimmed some talking points before going in front of a camera to film something that would be uploaded to their official page.

Like I said though, I'm pulling straw out of a hat.  I was just saying I "think" that might be where he got the Charlie model reference  from.  :2c:  :dunno:

Drallib said:
Boeing giving a short sales pitch video of the Block III Super Hornet to the RCAF, and says we fly Charlie F-18s  :not-again:

Does it really matter at this point? It’s like adding a navigation system to your 1980 Lincoln Continental when everyone uses google maps on their phone.

Quirky said:
Does it really matter at this point? It’s like adding a navigation system to your 1980 Lincoln Continental when everyone uses google maps on their phone.

Or like adding AESA radars to your 1980 CF-18, right before it gets replaced?  :pullhair:

CBH99 said:
Or like adding AESA radars to your 1980 CF-18, right before it gets replaced?  :pullhair:

IF they ever get replaced. I can see JT and his band of thieves telling DND that `due to the COVID crisis and all the poor people we paid to sit at home and do sweet f&8k all and continue to, you won`t get new fighters - or ships - or tanks. Make do with what you have. And btw we`re taking some of your budget to extend benefits to disenfranchised Canadians. Have a great day Mr - or Ms CDS.

Hamish Seggie said:
IF they ever get replaced. I can see JT and his band of thieves telling DND that `due to the COVID crisis and all the poor people we paid to sit at home and do sweet f&8k all and continue to, you won`t get new fighters - or ships - or tanks. Make do with what you have. And btw we`re taking some of your budget to extend benefits to disenfranchised Canadians. Have a great day Mr - or Ms CDS.

Then he can fulfill his promise not to buy the F35 and purchase the rest of the RAAF's fleet of Legacy F-18s to save money.  ::)

Drallib said:
Then he can fulfill his promise not to buy the F35 and purchase the rest of the RAAF's fleet of Legacy F-18s to save money.  ::)

Short term yes, but long term upgrades, maintenance, etc... add up and will be more costly. I hope to God that doesn't happen, and I hope the next CDS has a spine and would tell the politicians that anything akin to used equipment is a bad idea.

Drallib said:

Too late sold to private company in the US

MilEME09 said:
Short term yes, but long term upgrades, maintenance, etc... add up and will be more costly. I hope to God that doesn't happen, and I hope the next CDS has a spine and would tell the politicians that anything akin to used equipment is a bad idea.

I wonder how much they listen to the CDS to be honest.  (Obviously, I have no idea if the PM truly listens/values the advice of the CDS, as I'm not a fly on the wall.)

However.  CDS Vance had a reputation in the Afghan war years for being a solid, no nonsense, 'get it done' kind of guy.  He introduced a new mindset in both the troops & senior leadership when he took the reigns, and from what I remember (I'm aging here, rapidly lately it seems) that his attitude towards the fighting the war was a far cry, and much needed, difference from General Fraser who oversaw operations in 2006.

He seems like he has a spine, and a common sense attitude towards things.  So it makes me question how much the PM & his staff really listen to the CDS, or if he's more the "Sure, we will get his input, but mostly going to do our own thing regardless of what he says" type.

Further development for the Gripen.

Swedish and Brazilian Gripen E Fly Together

As a sign of years of great collaboration, the first Brazilian Gripen flew side by side with Sweden’s first Gripen E (designated 6002) for the first time. Together, the two nations have been driving the development of Gripen E/F through joint tests, verification, and validation programs as part of the Brazilian Gripen programme.
The Gripen programme has also been instrumental in the strengthening of Brazil's national defence industry. The Brazilian partners have remained involved in development and production of Gripen aerostructures, systems, avionics, production, and flight testing and training. Some of the Brazilian companies such as Embraer, Akaer and AEL Sistemas are even part of Saab's global supply chain for Gripen E/F. As of today, the Brazilian Gripen programme features one of the largest technology transfer programmes ever carried out for the Brazilian Air Force, and the largest ever done by Saab to another country.

“Brazil is the perfect partner. Not only do they have the operational knowledge and an experienced aviation industry, they also play a major role in Gripen's development,” says Major General Carl-Johan Edström, Commander of the Swedish Air Force. “Together we seek for solutions that involve long-term commitment, and just like us, they want to build their capacity for the next 20 years and longer. I am very positive about the future of this collaboration,” he adds.

Brazil and its defence industry also play a major role in the development of Gripen F. About 400 engineers are working on the development of Gripen F at the Gripen Design and Development Network (GDDN). Gripen Flight Center, located at the same plant, will also start its operations later this year.

However, Brazil is not the only new test site where Saab is expanding its flight operation this year. Saab will also transfer a Gripen E aircraft to Malmen airbase in Linköping as part of its joint testing strategy together with the Swedish Defence Material Administration (FMV) and the Swedish Armed Forces.

“I am incredibly proud to be an Air Force Commander in a nation that manufactures its own fighter aircraft. It is not only something remarkable amongst nations but it also means that I can safely say that we are tactically superior already with the system we have today, Gripen C/D,” says Major Edström.

Read the full story here

https://saab.com/fr-be/gripen/news/blog/gripen-blog/2020/swedish-and-brazilian-gripen-e-fly-together/

CBH99 said:
So it makes me question how much the PM & his staff really listen to the CDS, or if he's more the "Sure, we will get his input, but mostly going to do our own thing regardless of what he says" type.

In my opinion you're probably right. The AG tried to tell the PM not to interfere in the SNC Lavallin fiasco and it got her fired.

Back