• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Poppy Selling Superthread- Merged

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
If a person, who wants to be mindful of the Act of Remembrance, and wishes to wear a poppy all year long, the more power to them. Copyright or not, the RCL will not dictate what I can or cannot do. Especially, when it's mostly now civvies who've never served a day in their lives.

If I decide to wear my poppy tomorrow, who really cares.

Exactly.  If l can find the poppy sticker for my anticipated hard hat I'll need when l retire next spring, it will be worn on it 365.

Did anyone hear about the white poppy last year? I am not sure if they've been around for a while or just showed up last year... Anyways, people claim they wear them because the red poppy supports war, just stupid and insulting. I really hope they don't make a return this year.

ace1125 said:
Did anyone hear about the white poppy last year? I am not sure if they've been around for a while or just showed up last year... Anyways, people claim they wear them because the red poppy supports war, just stupid and insulting. I really hope they don't make a return this year.

Tons of material on this subject if you choose to look for it. Let's not open that can of worms again.

recceguy said:
If a person, who wants to be mindful of the Act of Remembrance, and wishes to wear a poppy all year long, the more power to them. Copyright or not, the RCL will not dictate what I can or cannot do. Especially, when it's mostly now civvies who've never served a day in their lives.

If I decide to wear my poppy tomorrow, who really cares.

Not disagreeing with you in fact I agree 100%. I just posted the official RCL stance. As with several other stances they take I think they need changing.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/11/02/cadets-distributing-poppies-turned-away-at-edmonton-store

A group of cadets volunteering to distribute Remembrance Day poppies were turned away at Cabela’s in North Edmonton, an act one legion representative calls disappointing.

“The management of Cabela’s informed them that, no, they weren’t welcome there,” said Greg Laskey, cadet liaison and poppy fund representative for the Royal Canadian Legion Norwood Branch.

According to Laskey, a group of volunteers dispatched from the Royal Canadian Legion Kingsway Branch for the kick-off of the Poppy Fund Campaign were invited to offer Remembrance Day poppies at the Cabela’s store at 15320 37 Ave. by an employee, the father of one of the cadets.

When they arrived, management allegedly told the volunteers they had to leave, saying the employee didn’t have the authority to allow them on the premises.

Laskey was surprised at the reaction, saying the cadets are generally welcomed across the city and are accustomed to working with local retailers and shopping malls to ensure they don’t disrupt customers.

This is the only time that Laskey can recall a cadet group canvassing for the poppy fund being ejected from a site.

“Things like that, it kind of rubs you the wrong way,” said Laskey.

Cabela’s Retail Canada Inc. could not be reached for comment. The cadets were dispatched to a new location without incident.

Canadians have been wearing the bright red Remembrance Day poppies since 1921 as a visual reminder to never forget Canadians who have laid down their lives during military operations.

The Royal Canadian Legion’s Poppy Fund campaign distributes the poppy pins annually while collecting donations to provide assistance for ex-servicemen and women in need. Canadian cadet organizations offer programming to help create youth leaders with a focus on strong Canadian and military values, and are an integral part of the annual poppy campaign.

While this incident at Cabela’s was disappointing, said Laskey, it was also the first year cadets have been stationed at Rexall Place during an Oilers Game, where volunteers raised over $3,500 in bills and filled three full buckets of change yet to be counted.

“We did very well, and people commended us for what we were doing,” Laskey said.

Perhaps if Legion branches made prior arrangements with the companies where they wanted to position poppy distributors, we wouldn't see these stories every year trying to shame stores when employees follow company polices.

Yeah, I am actually getting a bit tired of the "we are the Royal Canadian Legion and we demand the right to sell poppies wherever we want" schtick, every single year....

Crantor said:
Agreed with both posters above.

:nod:

Me too. I am about 95% certain that if these incident didn't pop up on their own the RCL would stage them to drum up faux public outrage.

I think we need to look into some of these claims a little more closely, and not jump immediately into panic mode.  I found these two statements on another media and am looking for links to the sources at the moment:

Cabelas does a Hometown Heroes event twice a year. The other Cabelas in Edmonton south did have the cadets on-site over the weekend. This is a case of ONE IDIOT at ONE STORE not the WHOLE CHAIN.

Their Head Office said this:
"Our Canadian team at our head office in Winnipeg and our local stores across Canada have a long standing and proud record of support for the cadets and our Canadian military. We truly value what they do and have done for us.
We apologize for what happened and are in communication to reschedule the cadets to be on-site at our North Edmonton store."

================================================================

http://o.canada.com/news/national/cadets-turned-away-from-selling-poppies-at-edmonton-store

Cabela’s issued a statement on their Facebook page on Monday morning responding to the trouble.

“Our sincerest apologies on what happened in Edmonton at our store this past weekend,” the company wrote.

“This was sincerely an unfortunate case of miscommunication on our part at our Edmonton North location. Our store in Edmonton south did have the cadets on-site over the weekend, and we have had poppies available in both locations since last week. Our Canadian team at our head office in Winnipeg and our local stores across Canada have a long standing and proud record of support for the cadets and our Canadian military. We truly value what they do and have done for us. We apologize for what happened and are in communication to reschedule the cadets to be on-site at our North Edmonton store.”

SeaKingTacco said:
Yeah, I am actually getting a bit tired of the "we are the Royal Canadian Legion and we demand the right to sell poppies wherever we want" schtick, every single year....

Wait until the Legion starts taking people to court for poppy tattoo's and copyright infringement :)

I'm with you though, it's the same thing every year, year after year. 

ObedientiaZelum said:
Wait until the Legion starts taking people to court for poppy tattoo's and copyright infringement :)

That will be interesting - copyright on a naturally occurring flower... :pop:

MM

medicineman said:

MM

Perhaps they have been partaking in the product of a certain species of said flower.

They have a statutory trademark over at least certain depictions of the poppy, granted to them by the federal Act to Incorporate the Royal Canadian Legion, S.C. 1948, c. 84, as amended, section 15

medicineman said:

MM

This still blows me away.
http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnists/joe_warmington/2009/11/06/11653971-sun.html
Imagine even the suggestion that a Cobourg bakery, fulfilling the order of some poppy cookies for the family of a fallen Canadian soldier from the Afghanistan conflict, would be breaking the copyright rules for the poppy?

"That would be a violation of the trademark," explains Royal Canadian Legion spokesman Bob Butt, adding the legion understands people are "well meaning" when they use the poppy and unaware of the rules.

But rules are rules.
"You would not believe the misuses of the poppy we have to investigate," Butt says.

Unaware of this copyright, the people at the Dutch Oven Bakery say that, now that they know, "we won't fulfil the order if asked again next year."

Privateer said:
They have a statutory trademark over at least certain depictions of the poppy, granted to them by the federal Act to Incorporate the Royal Canadian Legion, S.C. 1948, c. 84, as amended, section 15

I can just see the sentencing hearings at the class action suit against everyone with a Legionesque poppy tattoo on them, having a court order to have it modified or sandblasted off your body with in "X" number of days...that would be interesting.

Again - :pop:

MM

My Regimental Assn made up coins with tha names of members who fell during WWII.  If you join the Assn you get a coin and are asked to research the soldier who is on your coin.  They also included a picture of our Regimental memorial.  They asked the Legion if they could put a poppy on either side and were denied permission.

Too easy - if these are copyright in Canada ....
canadian-poppy-pin-via-phyllysfaves-blogspot-com.jpg

Poppy_2COL-250x245.png

.... and this is copyright in the U.K. ....
SNN0209VV_280_1400886a.jpg

.... then someone should come up with a three-petal poppy to use.
image002.jpg

Harris said:
My Regimental Assn made up coins with tha names of members who fell during WWII.  If you join the Assn you get a coin and are asked to research the soldier who is on your coin.  They also included a picture of our Regimental memorial.  They asked the Legion if they could put a poppy on either side and were denied permission.

:facepalm:

Back