• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Patrol - Seven days in the life of a Canadian Soldier in Afghanistan

M

MikeL

Book written by a Reserve Signaller attached to B Coy, 2PPCLI for TF 1-08.

Picked it up yesterday,  haven't read it yet, but checked out a few pages looks good so far.

http://www.harpercollins.ca/books/The-Patrol-Ryan-Flavelle/?isbn=9781443407175

http://www.amazon.ca/Patrol-Ryan-Flavelle/dp/1443407178?tag=citofgamonlco-20

I just got an email from Amazon.ca saying my order has been shipped. That means an ETA of Tuesday or Wednesday.

Contemplating joining the infantry. Trying to do research. Hoping to find a good book like those you can find regarding the french legion etc.

This book caught my eye. Just looking for thoughts on it?

I don't think any book should be considered as research for the infantry. Most of these books recount exceptional stories that comprise 1% of the infantry experience. You'll be totally disappointed if you use books to build your expectations for the infantry.

Snaketnk said:
I don't think any book should be considered as research for the infantry. Most of these books recount exceptional stories that comprise 1% of the infantry experience. You'll be totally disappointed if you use books to build your expectations for the infantry.

Duly noted. Now I have a book idea! 

trudawg said:
Now I have a book idea!

Writing a book about DP1?  Or being on field ex in Wainwright during the winter?

*edited for grammar/spelling

-Skeletor- said:
Writting a book about DP1?  Or being on field ex in Wainwright in the winter?

Pfffft......forget that stuff.

A book about Dustbane and the best kinds of brooms.

CDN Aviator said:
Pfffft......forget that stuff.

A book about Dustbane and the best kinds of brooms.

People yelled at me.  I felt hurt.

No shit... I remember this week quite well... might be worth a read to have see this view of it.

I picked up my copy at the Post Office just before noon local and am about a third of the way through it. It is a compelling book that captures all the little things that make people love and hate the army. At the same time, it grips one with the intensity of feeling of being part of a long patrol in hostile territory. It certainly captures the individual infantryman's lot much better than either Fifteen Days or Contact Charlie, including the visceral (and as the author admits, unfair) hatred of those inside the wire.

Just added to my amazon wish list. Christmas is coming and the D9er has access to that list 8)

As for a book on DP1/QL3/TQ1 , that would be a real page turner....not

Back