• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Next Conservative Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin O'leary considering a run at the leadership of the federal conservatives? Dear god, make it so.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/conservative-leadership-kevin-o-leary-1.3401967
The Conservative leadership race has yet to start, but potential candidates are gearing up, including celebrity businessman and ex-Dragon Kevin O'Leary and some high-profile former cabinet ministers.

The actual convention isn't expected for another 18 months.

But the extra time is allowing outsiders to consider putting their name forward, including the outspoken Toronto business mogul O'Leary.

"I thought at some point, someone is going to say to me, if you can be such a critic, why don't you do better? Why don't you try it?" O'Leary told CBC News. "I thought to myself, hmmm, maybe I should."

The former panellist on CBC'sDragons' Den describes himself as politically agnostic, but noted, "I'm never going to run for the NDP. They don't even like me."

Not surprisingly, O'Leary said his main motivation for considering a leadership run is the economy.

"Every word that comes out of a politician's mouth, including mine, should I elect to go for this, is how does it create the next incremental job," he said. "That's what I care about."

O'Leary raised eyebrows this week with his offer to invest a million dollars in Alberta's oilpatch if NDP Premier Rachel Notley stepped aside. 

The businessman admits he's a polarizing figure, but argues he's just telling the truth. If that sounds like someone running for the top job south of the border, it should. O'Leary freely acknowledges he is inspired by the campaign success of Donald Trump.

"I know Trump. I know his family. I've watched him work. I think he's smart as a fox," he said, adding that Trump's approach to politics taps into a growing fatigue with politicians in general coupled with a desire for better management.

Field wide open

O'Leary admits he would be an outsider in a race that will likely contain many former cabinet ministers. Other potential candidates will be deciding this month whether to make the long commitment to return the Conservatives to power. Tony Clement is one of them.

"I have been receiving lots of emails, texts and social media requests, but I have not made any decisions," said Clement. "The party has to move forward, and there are a bunch of us looking forward."

Kellie Leitch is the most organized according to Conservative sources, and is the only one who is definitely in the race for now. She may, however, be tainted by her involvement in the proposed barbaric cultural practices tip line that she helped to announce during the election.

Jason Kenney, often seen as the heir apparent to Harper, is considering his options. Sources say, however, he is aware that he would be seeking to become the fourth leader of the party from Calgary. There are also organizers in Alberta urging him to unite the right in that province to defeat the NDP in the next provincial election.

Maxime Bernier is perhaps the second most organized prospect. He has made several trips across the country, including several to British Columbia to determine his level of support. He is fluently bilingual, charismatic and popular for his libertarian beliefs.

Then there are the contenders who are still deciding, such as Lisa Raitt. She is seen to have broad support in the party, and is a woman whose personal story will appeal to voters. When asked about whether she would throw her name in, she said it was too soon to say definitively.

"I am thinking about leadership. I also know that I need to know what our party is looking at in terms of rules and what our party is looking at in terms of what kind of leadership discussion is going to be happening in the coming months," she said.

Then there are the other names mentioned behind the scenes — Peter Mackay, Jean Charest and Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall.

'Being bilingual is a must'

Former cabinet minister James Moore left politics last year and said the reasons for that decision have not changed, so he is not considering a run for leader.

But he does know the qualities he'd like to see in whoever wins the job. Moore said they must have leadership experience, be of a similar generation as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and they must be bilingual.

"I think we've long passed the point in this country where the ability to speak both of Canada's official languages is a debate. I think anybody who is aspiring to be the prime minister of Canada has to be not just capable but fluent in both of Canada's official languages. Almost one in five Canadians speaks French first. It's not just important for the prime minister to communicate to all Canadians, but to be able to listen to all Canadians," Moore told CBC from his new office with the law firm Denton's in Vancouver.

On the possibility of O'Leary running, Moore pointed to other high-profile business people who have run for the leadership before, from Peter Pocklington to Brian Mulroney to Belinda Stronach.

Moore noted that most Conservatives he has spoken with are saying the more candidates in the race for the Conservative leadership the better. 

"Mr. O'Leary brings a different style to the race," Moore said. "I don't know if he's maybe inspired by the successes in the short term that Donald Trump has had in the United States. But he's a person with some strong opinions who if he wants to offer them in public life, I think he'll find it a very different environment. But I think people will be interested to hear what he has to say."

E.R. Campbell said:
See two articles in the Ottawa Citizen:

Why fire-breathing Kevin O’Leary is a good fit for Conservative leader; and

‘I am not Donald Trump’: Kevin O’Leary denies parallels with bombastic American.

The anti-Conservative (Harper Hater®) faction will do themselves no favours if they underestimate Kevin O'Leary and what he brings to the CPC leadership contest.

Agreed.  And i think that the comparison between him and Donald Trump is superficial at best.  But...

i think the real problem will be how the CPC reacts to him putting his name forward and running.  The LPC can just sit back and watch the CPC implode with this one.  I believe his biggest critic will be conservatives of teh political stripe.

E.R. Campbell said:
See two articles in the Ottawa Citizen:

Why fire-breathing Kevin O’Leary is a good fit for Conservative leader; and

‘I am not Donald Trump’: Kevin O’Leary denies parallels with bombastic American.

The anti-Conservative (Harper Hater®) faction will do themselves no favours if they underestimate Kevin O'Leary and what he brings to the CPC leadership contest.
I'm not so sure, I think Kevin O'Leary is gifted with the ability to piss people right off.

I was happy when he left dragons den.

Altair said:
I'm not so sure, I think Kevin O'Leary is gifted with the ability to piss people right off.

I was happy when he left dragons den.

Yep,

He's like Stephen Harper, only with cocaine laced coffee running througn his veins. 

The Conservatives need someone actually likeable. 

Humphrey Bogart said:
Yep,

He's like Stephen Harper, only with cocaine laced coffee running througn his veins. 

The Conservatives need someone actually likeable.

Doesn't mean he would not be good for the campaign.  He may voice the hard opinions that the more "political" candidates wouldn't put forward and allow all of them more clearly differentiate themselves from both the Liberals and Mr. O'Leary. 

My criticism of Rona Ambrose is lack if likability.  Harper wore the lie that he was heartless and uncaring.  How would O'Leary be perceived.  He's a tough sell.  My two options are Peter McKay or possibly Maxime Bernier, but it's really time for an Ontario leader.  In the last 47 years we have had 4 Quebecers - 34 years / 2 Albertans - 10 years / 2 Ontarians - 3 years / 1 British Columbian - <1 year.  I credited Turner and Martin to Ontario although Turner also lived in BC and Quebec and Martin seems to have also lived in Quebec.

GR66 said:
Doesn't mean he would not be good for the campaign.  He may voice the hard opinions that the more "political" candidates wouldn't put forward and allow all of them more clearly differentiate themselves from both the Liberals and Mr. O'Leary.

'sacly! He will be, may be if he actually does take a shot at it, the sort of lightning rod that can take the heat off others. Not a hope in hell of winning, I guess ... at this time, but useful, to the process, in the leadership campaign year.

Rocky Mountains said:
My criticism of Rona Ambrose is lack of likability.  Harper wore the lie that he was heartless and uncaring.  How would O'Leary be perceived.  He's a tough sell.  My two options are Peter McKay or possibly Maxime Bernier, but it's really time for an Ontario leader.  In the last 47 years we have had 4 Quebecers - 34 years / 2 Albertans - 10 years / 2 Ontarians - 3 years / 1 British Columbian - <1 year.  I credited Turner and Martin to Ontario although Turner also lived in BC and Quebec and Martin seems to have also lived in Quebec.

Rocky Mountains said:
My criticism of Rona Ambrose is lack if likability.  Harper wore the lie that he was heartless and uncaring.  How would O'Leary be perceived.  He's a tough sell.  My two options are Peter McKay or possibly Maxime Bernier, but it's really time for an Ontario leader.  In the last 47 years we have had 4 Quebecers - 34 years / 2 Albertans - 10 years / 2 Ontarians - 3 years / 1 British Columbian - <1 year.  I credited Turner and Martin to Ontario although Turner also lived in BC and Quebec and Martin seems to have also lived in Quebec.

How about ...

kellie_leitch.jpg
clementtony_cpc.jpg
or
raittlisa_cpc.jpg

These two say they're "out," but ...

bairdjohn_cpc.jpg
otoole3___Content.jpg

... if they got enough "fan mail" either or both might reconsider.

Given that European nativists, Donald Trump and even the Ford Brothers are all reactions by voters to politicians who refuse to address the issues the citizens want to see addressed, I have a feeling that likability will become secondary to being perceived as a straight talker and problem solver.

Considering that international politics is full of people like Vladimir Putin, who thinks wrestling bears makes him much more attractive to Russian citizens than being "likeable", maybe a change of pace is in order there as well.

I'll be happy to see someone who has a consistent set of principles and is willing to stand by them again.

E.R. Campbell said:

Like billions of dollars?

Quote from: E.R. Campbell on Today at 08:23:33

Money, energy, high media profile and the ability to speak about issues which most of the political class find toxic or at least far to scary to approach.

There comes a point where something funny becomes serious and not so funny anymore

Like trump right now.

Kevin O'leary is statistically tied with peter Mackay at around 24 percent support for the leadership of the federal conservatives.

Pretty easy for him to poll higher when he's the only one speaking. I don't think MacKay has even come out saying he'd run yet, so if he's got 24% on name alone, that's a pretty strong lead.

I wouldn't put it past Mr O'leary to have volunteered to be the sacrificial lamb. He can open discussion on topics that are potentially toxic to more moderate candidates, and thereby allow them to appear more acceptable.

Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are. - Machiavelli

ModlrMike said:
I wouldn't put it past Mr O'leary to have volunteered to be the sacrificial lamb. He can open discussion on topics that are potentially toxic to more moderate candidates, and thereby allow them to appear more acceptable.

Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are. - Machiavelli
I don't think the mans ego is built that way.

Altair said:
I don't think the mans ego is built that way.

Kevin O'Leary is an adequately educated (BA from Waterloo, MBA from the Ivey School and Western), successful entrepreneur who succeeded on his own merits ~ no silver spoon or trust fund for him. He was a successful entrepreneur and author and turned himself into a bombastic media personality for profit because that niche, the bombastic one, was unfilled here in Canada. Don't make the mistake of confusing his public persona for the man inside.

I'm not sure if he's really interested or not ... my guess remains that he mainly just wants to shake up the political process. The CPC is most likely to field a group of potential leaders who all murmur sweet reason in public and Mr O'Leary, I think, thinks we need someone to shout a few "home truths" about the way we have managed our country for the past, say, 50ish years.

Altair said:
There comes a point where something funny becomes serious and not so funny anymore

Like trump right now.

Kevin O'leary is statistically tied with peter Mackay at around 24 percent support for the leadership of the federal conservatives.

One could argue that the same could have been said for Justin Trudeau a few years ago.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back