• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

LunchMeat said:
When? Because you can still buy Barrett's and other branded .50's.

The semi auto barret M82

http://www.firearms-safety-course.com/list-of-restricted-and-prohibited-firearms

Lumber said:
I just found out yesterday that in Nova Scotia (and i've heard other places as well), you are actually allowed to "trespass" on someone else's property if that property is forestland and you are doing it for the purpose of hunting.

I mean it kind of makes sense; if you have a gun in your hands, how am I supposed to stop you from coming on my property?  ;D

How's them for property rights.

Post your fence line every 50'.... "No Trespassing or Hunting"...pretty sure that would have legal standing, it does in Alberta.

Cheers
Larry

That varies province to province.

In Nova Scotia:

No person may be
prosecuted for contravening any notice given
pursuant to this Act prohibiting entry or prohibiting
activity on "forest land" as defined in the Act if that
person is hunting as defined in the Wildlife Act,
fishing, picnicking, camping, hiking skiing or
engaged in another recreational activity or
engaged in the study of flora or fauna.

"forest land" means a wooded area, forest stand,
tract covered by underbrush, barren ground, marsh
or bog.

"hunting" means chasing, driving, flushing,
attraction, pursuing, worrying, following after or on
the trail of, searching for, trapping, attempting to
trap, snaring or attempting to snare, shooting at,
stalking or lying in wait for any wildlife whether or
not the wildlife is then or subsequently captured,
killed, taken or wounded, but does not include
stalking, attracting, searching for or lying in wait for
any wildlife by an unarmed person solely for the
purpose of watching or taking picture of it.

I've run into a similar issue back home recently. When they get into trouble is building a blind, leaving garbage, causing damage, or violating hunting regs.

WRT hunters; Basically once they break a law they are deemed to no longer be engaged in a lawful activity under the wildlife act and are then subject to trespass charges.

40643118_1843886589036204_2080846311279558656_n.png.jpg

Data shows Toronto’s gun ‘surge’ never happened

https://globalnews.ca/news/4428617/matt-gurney-toronto-gun-crime-statistics/?utm_source=GlobalNews&utm_medium=Facebook

:tsktsk:

Another aspect that is often overlooked here is that the numbers involved are so low that they make any statistical change from year to year fall in the "not statistically significant" category, regardless of how wild the swings. It is only long term trends that can be significant here, and they are all downwards presently.

The reason is simple: the sample numbers are so low that they can be largely impacted by single events. An example: In year X, a gang is busted that used the "legitimate owner that has guns stolen" trick as the method to acquire their firearms, and 30 firearms are seized in that sole bust. In that year, there will be a huge jump in the number of firearms traced to as legally registered in Canada. Yet it means nothing. Next year no such bust occurs and we are back down by as much.

As usual, statistics can tell a story, but you must review the basis of their collection to draw meaningful conclusions.

Here, the statistics have now been shown to be in the "Lies, Damn Lies" category.

Jarnhamar said:
Data shows Toronto’s gun ‘surge’ never happened

https://globalnews.ca/news/4428617/matt-gurney-toronto-gun-crime-statistics/?utm_source=GlobalNews&utm_medium=Facebook

:tsktsk:

And the damage is already done... despite this, the Liberals, the media, and the general anti-firearm crowd will continue repeating the false claim by the TPS officer until it is accepted as truth by the general population.

I caught part of an interview with the Ottawa chief of police about half an hour ago. When asked, he stated he was not in favour of a ban, because it would not work. Instead he suggested stiffer and more stringent bail conditions, along with heavier penalties for criminal use of a firearm.

Old Sweat said:
I caught part of an interview with the Ottawa chief of police about half an hour ago. When asked, he stated he was not in favour of a ban, because it would not work. Instead he suggested stiffer and more stringent bail conditions, along with heavier penalties for criminal use of a firearm.

Exactly as advocated, consistently, by the legal gun owning crowd for years. We are not afraid of stiff penalties and jail time, because we follow the rules. We want this so the government can stop inflicting damage to us and goes after those that need it. It is too easy for the government to make us the constant scapegoat.

That means the Ottawa chief, the TPS Union President, and the RCMP Commissioner have all either questioned this ban or outright said it's a bad idea because it will waste resources.

Maybe, for once, we have a chance...

It won't matter who says it's a bad idea. It is a core Liberal goal to disarm the public.

“Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda.” — Liberal foreign affairs minister Lloyd Axworthy (1998)

“I came to Ottawa . . . with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers.” — Liberal minister of justice, Allan Rock, 1994.

"C-68 has little to do with gun control or crime control, but it is the first step necessary to begin the social re-engineering of Canada.” — Liberal senator Sharon Carstairs, 1996.

“Canada will be one of the first unarmed countries in the world.” — Liberal foreign affairs minister Lloyd Axworthy, 1998.

While these statements all occurred in the late 90s, I see no evidence to suggest any change of heart.

National Post had a good article here: https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/what-it-would-look-like-if-canada-banned-all-handguns

But recent history tells us it is all a sham anyway. Mayor David Miller in Toronto puled a lot of crap, including closing gun ranges and harassing legal gun owners while Toronto was suffering a wave of violent gun crimes in the early to mid 2000's, yet gun crimes continued to climb.

What ended the reign of violence was a multi national police operation in Canada, the US and Jamaica which took down a criminal organization known as the Shower Posse...no amount of "gun control" stopped the violence, only dedicated and wide ranging police work directed against the criminals. South of the border, we also have the example of cities like Chicago with draconian gun laws suffering waves of violence similar to low intensity war zones.

This is all about posturing and virtue signalling, pure and simple.

The Liberal government was quick to trump out the police in support of their designs, like when Goodale got behind the cheery picked 2013 stat, bullshit "gun and firearm related surge"  or mysterious Toronto police detective.

When the police however advised caution a out legalizing pot the Liberals brushed them off.

I wonder how the Liberals will handle  these police members or unions or whoever going on the record saying a handgun ban won't help.
Will the Liberals just ignore them (and the pretty solid looking stats and evidence they tried to bullshit everyone) or will the clever Liberals capitalize on this and use it as a political get out of jail free card to avoid the mess of banning handguns.

'We looked at banning handguns but our brave and wise police officers say it won't fix the problem so we're looking at other avenues, because we care'.

And speaking about missing firearms.
In 2012 a Freedom of Information request from then NFA determined that between October 2008 and February 2012, police forces and other law-enforcement agencies have lost at least 428 firearms nationwide.

I think we as Canadians way over react when it comes to crime and gun crime. 

Sure we have pockets of rougher areas but in comparison to juristicians in other countries we have a pretty safe country. 

We tend to internalize American problems as well, I suspect that this comes from an over consumption of American media.

Truly in Canada the small problems we do have are 99% socioeconomic I reckon.  Withs gun play being a small spin off effect.

Hypothetical question.

Suppose the government decides all handguns and "assault weapons", let's say ar15s, are banned and must be turned in to the government without compensation.

Considering it is a firearms serialized receiver that is the registered part, could gun owners get away with turning in stripped down pistol and rifle receivers?

f62e25bdee7a53b06e3117ccdf8041d7.jpg

images

After all I don't even need a firearms licence to purchase an AR15 upper receiver or pistol upper slide.

Hypothetical answer

They will likely insist on the whole firearm, but you're right.

All of my ARs are builds. They are registered Receiver Only. That will all they get from me. Totally stripped and smashed in a press with only the serial # untouched. They will get the same with my pistols. I sold all the other non accountable parts before they asked me to turn them in.

edit - You MAY be able to call them, tell them you've stripped it all away and only have the receiver left and could they register it Receiver Only? It's still restricted. The worse they can do is say NO.

Jarnhamar said:
Hypothetical question.

Suppose the government decides all handguns and "assault weapons", let's say ar15s, are banned and must be turned in to the government without compensation.

Considering it is a firearms serialized receiver that is the registered part, could gun owners get away with turning in stripped down pistol and rifle receivers?

On a Sig Sauer P320 the serial number only appears on the fire control group, which is removable from the frame by rotating one pin.

Haggis said:
On a Sig Sauer P320 the serial number only appears on the fire control group, which is removable from the frame by rotating one pin.

So you are saying we should all go buy sig sauer p320's, right? Just want to be sure...

Abdullah

P.s if I stop posting on here it is cause my wife offed me for doing it haha

Bill C71 is crushing through Parliament, there is talk of it being implemented by christmas.

Max Bernier didn't bother to even shown up to vote on Bill C71.

In other news Ralph Goodale supported the woman who was found guilty kidnapping raping and murdering Tori Stafford, 8,  getting moved to a healing lodge, calling her actions "bad practices".

This guy is really something else.

Back