• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

Baker,
Given that you are on the rock and the Genereal is from the rock, there's a better than average chance that you will one day meet him.

Let's be honest, it would not be fair to expect his successor to be exactly like him.... The Cupboard is bare of "spare" Newf Generals at this time ;)

We can only hope that the one they decide on is as much of a "driver", competent and "for the boys" as the last...

Baker, take it from me and many others, Gen. Rick Hillier exudes respect.  He talks to you as if he's at your kitchen table, grips your hand with and iron grip, and looks you straight in the eyes.  Thats probably why we all respect him so much and will "mourn" his passing into private life.
I've met four CDS's and Gen Hillier doens't ask for respect, he commands it and hands it back to the troops.
:salute:   Thank you, sir, for giving us back the respect of the country.   :cdn:
:army:

BTW, does anyone know who is up next?  I think it's the Navy's turn, but will they go Army agian to wait out the next few years of the war??

BYT Driver said:
BTW, does anyone know who is up next?  I think it's the Navy's turn, but will they go Army agian to wait out the next few years of the war??
Though there was a time when that happened, Hillier's tenure was "due" to be going to the Navy.  I think that they no longer do that.  Instead of affirmative action to represent all three services at the CDS level in an equitable manner, they are appointing the best person, irrespective of uniform colour.

Reported in today's Windsor Star....

Hillier to head N.L. university

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. - Gen. Rick Hillier will be appointed chancellor of Memorial University on July 3, a day after he steps down as chief of defence staff.

"I am deeply honoured and excited to have been offered the position of chancellor of Memorial University -- an institution established to preserve the memory and sacrifices of Newfoundland and Labrador's men and women in uniform." said Hillier in a news release. "I am looking forward to reconnecting with the students, faculty and staff of the university from which I personally graduated."

The announcement of the new post for one of Memorial University's best-known graduates was made Thursday by Newfoundland Premier Danny Williams.

Hillier will be Memorial's sixth chancellor.

"It is with immense pleasure that I announce the appointment of this distinguished individual whose stellar contributions to Canada are widely recognized, not only within our country, but well beyond its borders," said Williams, in the same release. "I cannot think of a more qualified individual to take on this role, and I look forward to the general's contributions to the province in this regard."

On July 2, Hillier hands over his appointment as chief of the defence staff -- the highest ranking position in the Canadian Forces -- after a military career of more than three decades.

A formal installation of the new chancellor will be held during Memorial's fall convocation in October.

Cheers, FDL  :cdn:

He rallied the troops – and the Canadian public
JOHN WARD The Canadian Press June 28, 2008 at 1:04 AM EDT
Article Link

OTTAWA — Rick Hillier brought a refreshing bluntness to the country's top military job, but his legacy may be that he reintroduced Canadians to their soldiers and instilled a pride in both.

The general retires on Canada Day after three turbulent years as chief of the defence staff, during which he presided over a hard-fought war in Afghanistan, wrangled new money and equipment for his troops, and attended more memorial services than perhaps any of his predecessors.

Brian MacDonald, a retired artillery colonel and a senior analyst for the Conference of Defence Associations, said Gen. Hillier's crowning achievement was to raise the military from the shame of the Somalia affair of the 1990s into the new world of the 21st century.

“He reconnected the Defence Department to the Canadian public and that is a critically important thing, and it's turned the prospects of the Defence Department right around,” Mr. MacDonald said.
More on link

I'll post this up here.

Hillier plans to use chancellor job as 'soapbox' to promote Memorial University

Gen. Rick Hillier said Friday he plans to use his high profile to promote Memorial University on an international stage as he assumes the role of chancellor.

"My engagement internationally, across the country, does give me a certain soapbox … to be able to articulate what Memorial University is doing, perhaps to help articulate the vision of where they will go in the future," Canada's retiring chief of defence staff said in an interview Friday with CBC News, a day after his appointment was announced by Premier Danny Williams.

"But then also to articulate for Canadians, and people around the world ... what Memorial University is, and what it can offer and what it can bring, and help solidify its position on the world stage and therefore the position of Newfoundland and Labrador, to a certain extent."

Hillier, 52, replaces former federal cabinet minister John Crosbie, who left the post in February after being appointed the province's lieutenant-governor.

Hillier, chief of defence since February 2005 who will be replaced by vice-chief of defence staff Walter Natynczyk, is set to officially step down Wednesday and take over as Memorial's chancellor the day after — an appointment that some on campus predict will stir controversy.

"I think it's definitely very contentious and I don't think its going to be well received on campus at all," Kerri Breen, editor in chief of the Memorial's student newspaper The Muse, told CBC News.

"I think lots of groups on campus are left-leaning, generally opposed to the war in Afghanistan. I'd be interested to see what the student union has to say about it."

Cameron Campbell, who's with the student union, says: "I think it's [Hillier's appointment] definitely going to come with some controversy, but we're eager to meet with the new chancellor, to get some time to discuss student issues with the chancellor and see what his opinion is on that," Campbell said.

Hillier, who grew up in Newfoundland and Labrador, and has a bachelor of science degree from Memorial, said he's not bothered by talk that his appointment may become controversial, and said he will take it in stride.

"I'll just pile on and do my very best, as I've always done with any appointment that I've had," he said.

;D

Seems some of its very own students don't know why it's called Memorial, and not just NewfU...it would seem to them that Memorial is just an academic institution.

Memorial University of Newfoundland

Memorial University College was established in 1925 as a living memorial to the Newfoundlanders who had lost their lives on active service during the First World War.

It was later rededicated to also encompass the province's war dead of the Second World War.

Three hundred and ten former students of the Memorial University College offered themselves for active service in the Second World War, 1939-1945. Thirty of these students lost their lives. Their names are recorded in the front of the University Calendar each year.

A plaque erected by the Newfoundland Command of the Royal Canadian Legion in the Arts and Administration Building at Memorial's St. John's campus includes this dedication:

This University was raised by the People of Newfoundland as a Memorial to the fallen in the Great Wars 1914-1918 and 1939-1945, that in freedom of learning their cause and sacrifice would not be forgotten.

The plaque was unveiled by HRH the Princess Royal, Colonel-in-Chief on September 21, 1964 on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the formation of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment 1914-1919.

Good2Golf said:
Seems some of its very own students don't know why it's called Memorial, and not just NewfU...it would seem to them that Memorial is just an academic institution.
It's sad isn't it.

I asked my teacher who went to MUN why it was given that name, and she didn't know, so I pulled out the reason why, and she had no idea that it was named for that.

Deadpan

Ah nice to see that the wing nuts from the MUSE and the usual suspects from the Arts Bldg and TSC are as brain dead now as when I was an undergrad at MUN.  ::)

Danjanou said:
Ah nice to see that the wing nuts from the MUSE and the usual suspects from the Arts Bldg and TSC are as brain dead now as when I was an undergrad at MUN.  ::)
I'll see if I can set 'em straight when I'm in there Dan ;)

-Dead

Here is what it says on the MUN site about Gen. Hillier as the new chancellor.

Memorial University of Newfoundland’s acting president welcomes the appointment of General Rick Hillier as the university’s chancellor.

Premier Danny Williams announced on Thursday, June 26, that Gen. Hillier, a graduate of Memorial and ardent advocate of the university, will be appointed effective July 3. A formal installation of the new chancellor will be held during Memorial’s fall convocation in October.

“We are delighted that Gen. Hillier will be the new chancellor of Memorial. He has always been a tireless supporter of Memorial and he brings his immense experience, energy and enthusiasm to our university community,” said Dr. Eddy Campbell, acting president.

“Our students, faculty, staff and alumni will benefit from the many contributions he will make. I thank him for taking on this new role.”
More on the link.

Why Gen. Hillier was so loved by his troops
George Petrolekas, Citizen Special Published: Tuesday, July 01, 2008
Article Link

He was our own JFK; a man who stirred our emotions and hopes like no other CDS before him.

While many pundits have sought to define the tenure of departing Chief of the Defence Staff, Gen. Rick Hillier, in the oblique forms of masterminding our Afghanistan role or the re-equipment of the Canadian Forces, such opinions miss the essence of the man. And while those are things he certainly had a hand in, his tenure is better marked by the words of soldiers who wistfully mark his passage with regret that their greatest champion has left.

I first became close to the general as he prepared to take over the NATO mission in Kabul. At the time, I was acting as his point man for the Canadian team of officers and soldiers that would dominate the NATO mission in 2004. The first day he met his international staff, he disdained the norms and, instead of lecturing, he launched into a two-way dialogue with every single person regardless of national provenance and linguistic ability. Quite something in a span of three hours with more than 300 people in the room. But magically, he was able to do so and thus made everyone feel important and a part of what they were about to embark on.

To the class-conscious Europeans, this was unheard of. A Norwegian officer, among others, came to me afterwards saying "I have never seen a general like that." A refrain I would hear for the next four years.

In Kabul, nothing changed. He was the most accessible commander I ever saw, and I've seen every NATO commander since 2003. Germans, Italians, Brits and every other nation imaginable and of every rank, would come away amazed that this general would know their name, and preferred to eat in their company instead of in private or with other generals. Soldiers from other nations who had served in Bosnia with him a decade earlier would ask me about the "General" on seeing a Canadian flag on my shoulder. "Say hi to him for me" they would ask.

And while he did lead a re-equipment of the Canadian Forces, his prime thought was to connect and make Canadians understand the perils of service. Simply put, he refused to put soldiers in harm's way without the tools necessary for their survival. And Canadians should have no doubt, that prior to Gen. Hillier we frequently took short-cuts or "managed risk" as if soldiers were mere poker chips to be played on the international stage. The success of our soldiers and of our nation was always at the forefront of Gen. Hillier's thoughts.

But there are two images of the man that remain indelibly printed in my mind, which go far in explaining why soldiers loved him so.
More on link

They say you can't easily fool a soldier. Every single soldier knew that with this CDS, they would be cared for before, during and after their missions, as would their families. It is why they would do anything for this man. But these are not my words and thoughts alone; they are the thoughts of thousands of soldiers, who on Gen. Hillier's retirement could only say, "say it isn't so." It is like our own Camelot has ended.

It is that legacy of compassion that will endure: that he was the champion of the common soldier. And that legacy is probably the one he would prefer best; and it is why we loved him so.
While I don't always agree with Col Petrolekas on some subjects (young subbie), on this day, I can't fault him on his words
The departure of a great man!  I hope we hear from him again in the not too distant future.

Here is a provocative, I guess that’s the right word, article by retired diplomat Gar Pardy, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Ottawa Citizen:

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/opinion/story.html?id=75536539-2d73-4478-aa99-76d32f456356
Gar Pardy . Hillier's legacy

Gar Pardy,

The Ottawa Citizen

Published: Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The Hillier comet has now faded from our Canadian skies. It was a comet of some brilliance and its brightness will be with us for some time to come.

For many, Gen. Rick Hillier's presence for the past three years as chief of the defence staff, ending officially today, has taken on an almost messianic colouration of things military and the importance of the Canadian soldier. Temporarily at least he created a closer bond and understanding between Canadians and their military.

Afghanistan is Gen. Hillier's war. While efforts have been made to label it Paul Martin's and/or Stephen Harper's war, the Kandahar deployment now stretching into 2011 and with serious talk that it needs to extend well into the next decade, is Gen. Hillier's more than anyone else. He put together the Canadian Afghan plan in 2005.

As such in no small measure the General's historical legacy is intimately tied to that war and its eventual outcome. The associated policies of the transformation of the Canadian Forces (which was to produce resources for other military deployments) and massive equipment purchases are bogged down in the normal Ottawa morass and will do nothing for the General's long-term image.

Every commentator, political and military leader who has spoken in recent weeks has concluded that Afghanistan is worse today than it was in 2005. This is not only in the south but in the east (attacks up 40 percent over the same time last year) and expectations are rife that it will include the northwest in the coming months. Even the Pentagon, not known for its pessimism on military matters, recently reported to Congress that there are no short-term or easy answers in Afghanistan and gloomily reported that the Taliban has "coalesced into a resilient insurgency." The Senlis Council in its usually breathless style is now telling us that there are too many young men in Afghanistan.

For all of those committed to the current military strategy, the only corrective action is deploying thousands of additional foreign troops and pushing further into the future the date when all of this will produce a peaceful Afghanistan. The American commander who has come recently to Afghanistan is now asking for more than 10,000 additional troops. Lyndon Johnson must be cursin' in his grave.

In the meantime, the spectre of the tribal areas of Pakistan providing support, sanctuary and militants for the Taliban has become more real with each passing day. The Pakistani Taliban has emerged from the shadows and is in open revolt against Islamabad and there are attacks in and near Peshawar. Pakistan's fledgling democracy with large expectations from the people and stubborn opposition from the military is in no condition to effectively control matters or effectively direct the future.

Rather it will stumble along with an effort to wean the tribals from the dual dangers of deepening fundamentalism and closer ties with the Afghan militants. In the meantime with weak governments in both Kabul and Islamabad their relations will become more acrimonious. Loose talk by western politicians for military action inside Pakistan will not help.

One can only hope that the west and NATO are learning a fundamental lesson in this debacle. NATO's ability to co-ordinate military action in Afghanistan is non-existent. Afghanistan is far too removed and the dangers it may have represented a few years ago no longer course through our bodies politic. Rather, other issues have come to the fore and there is a need to rethink how to deal with places like Afghanistan which will remain a regional trouble spot for decades to come. It no longer represents a danger to significant western interests and the sooner this manifests itself into a coherent non-interventionist military strategy then the sooner we can end the ramp ceremonies at Trenton.

When the Afghan mission was open for discussion in 2005, prime minister Paul Martin and his colleagues did not exercise due diligence; the discussion to the extent that it is known was not about Afghanistan but rather whether it might pre-empt other initiatives by the government in such places as Darfur, the Middle East or Haiti.

Even when, a year later, Prime Minister Harper wrapped himself and his government in the Hillier plan, there was no significant public discussion or careful consideration by either the prime minister or his ministers. When a further extension of the mandate was considered necessary, John Manley and his panellists rounded the edges and dulled the debate, ensuring that the Liberals and Conservatives merged their slight differences.

The surprising element in all of this is that the debate in Canada has had very little to do with Afghanistan. Rather it has much to do about Canada and Canadians and their never ending willingness to see themselves as they would like to be seen rather then how others may see us. Mr. Manley and his panel unintentionally expressed it best when they wrote "Canada's participation in the outcomes, will directly affect Canada's security, our reputation in the world, and our future ability to engage the international community in achieving objectives of peace, security and shared prosperity."

Modern local wars rarely provide desired outcomes or create conditions that we think are important to our well being. As with drunken drivers there are no straight lines. As we approach the eighth year of the Afghan war there are no signs that the outcome will add to the historical legacy of Gen. Hillier. Rather there will be proof that when you are smarter than the politicians who surround you, then you need to do the thinking for everyone.

Gar Pardy retired from the foreign service in 2003.

E-mail: garp@rogers.com

© The Ottawa Citizen 2008​

Gar Pardy was Director General of the Consular Affairs branch when he retired. You may need to deal with Consular Affairs if you pocket is picked in Paris and you need a new passport or if your teenaged daughter is detained while hiking in the lower Himalayas or trekking inThailand. You will hope that they will deal with your problems in a sympathetic and expeditious manner. Those were no doubt the hopes of William Sampson and Maher Arar, too- but their hopes appear have been dashed.

I will not comment on the snarky tone or the innuendo or the weak attempts at character assassination – they are about par for the course from mid-level bureaucrats (a director general is an executive but not, actually, a senior one) speaking for a second rate (and falling) department. DFAIT’s knickers are in a huge twist because DND has taken the lead in strategic policy; DFAIT is right to be concerned – DND should not have a lead role, it is an implementing organization, not one that should have a major voice in policy or strategic planning; DFAIT’s problem is not, however, that DND has risen – the problem is that DFAIT has fallen because it has too many second rate people and strategy and policy are the exclusive domain of first rate people.

I will focus on the areas where I think Pardy makes useful points.

First: “Afghanistan is Gen. Hillier's war.” Despite the fact that nonsense has been thoroughly debunked – Jean Chrétien and Paul Martin, surrounded by foreign affairs bureaucrats, real policy experts and some of the most astute political minds in the country decided, for their own good reasons, to send the CF to Afghanistan, twice, and then from Kabul to Kandahar. But the second raters (serving and retired) in DFAIT cannot accept that because they think, for the moment, that Afghanistan is going badly so blame must be assigned - and DND is the eternal enemy of the striped pants set in Festung Pearson. The media are willing accomplices to this bit of fiction – they don’t like Rick Hillier, either. But, lie though it is, it is now a generally accepted lie.

Second: “NATO's ability to co-ordinate military action in Afghanistan is non-existent.” True, too, and too true, I think. The UN does need a new, better military subcontractor  Afghanistan is liable too look easy when we must, finally, confront Africa.

But: Pardy shows his true colours when he says that Afghanistan and, presumably, the whole (badly misnamed and poorly focused) Global War on Terror (which ought to be the Global War on Barbarism) “no longer represents a danger to significant western interests and the sooner this manifests itself into a coherent non-interventionist military strategy then the sooner we can end the ramp ceremonies at Trenton.”

There is, indeed, a “coherent non-interventionist” strategy – it is precisely what China advocates for us! Such a strategy does not serve our national vita interests or those of our important, traditional allies; to suggest it is intellectually vacuous, it is bad policy advice  – about what I have come to expect from executives in DFAIT and the reason Paul Martin turned to e.g. Rick Hillier. Martin, understood that Pardy and his associates were incompetent bunglers.

Wow. ER Campbell, you rock.

BTW, I always find it funny that nobody sees that if Afghanistan should fall to the Taliban, Pakistan will be the next state to disintegrate. In fact, that disintegration has already started. The Red Mosque crisis is only one example of how Pakistan is starting to lose the ability to monopolize the use of force within its own borders.

They have part if his speach on Sympatico's startup screen.....

Good man - speaks from the heart - if and when I get to St John's - will have to look him up

Am certain that he will be around to champion other causes - Waay too young to be put out to pasture ;)

As for General Rick's future, after the Second World War General Eisenhower headed Columbia University for a while. Sheer speculation, but maybe a media lurker will run with it.

Back