• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The DFS Regt & other Future Armoured Regiment ideas

On other threads I have said this is the way we should go. The latest United Defense version has a hybrid electrical engine that allows the vehicle a 80 KM/H road speed, it has a lower profile than MGs and it now has a 120mm Gun.

ArmyRick said:
On other threads I have said this is the way we should go. The latest United Defense version has a hybrid electrical engine that allows the vehicle a 80 KM/H road speed, it has a lower profile than MGs and it now has a 120mm Gun.

Links and pictures?

This is an old argument, I recall prototype "RDF" tanks being exhibited during the Reagan administration, usually low wedge shaped machines with the ARES 75mm rapid fire cannon mounted. Although these machines weighed about 20 tonnes and were air portable, they were never adopted. My suspicion is internal "Army" politics had a lot to do with that decision, since the community of potential users (Airborne and Rangers) was rather small compared to the "Heavy Metal" army establishment, and even within that group, the tankers were a distinct minorety.

For us, although this sounds ideal in theory, we now have a well entrenched "wheeled" establishment with political clout in both senses (GD Defense is in the solidly Liberal London ON). Even alternative wheeled vehicles like the Centurio would have a very difficult time breaking in (Not to mention the elaborate re-engineering to make them compatible to the LAV logistics train).

Thumbing through the other threads, I believe the CV-90 SEV hybrid electric vehicle represents the way of the future, and by adopting the system approach, we could build 8000 lower hull units and use them as the basis to replace the MLVW, HLVW, LAV 1 and LAV 2 families, and even have enough vehicles to support training the reserve units. (Ever find it odd that it is considered too difficult to properly train Canadian Reservisrts to use LAVs when the reservists in other nations use more elaborate kit with less training?).

If we still want a "DFSV Regiment" at that point, it should be used to trial new doctrine, TTPs and equipment and show the way ahead for the rest of the armoured community.

a_majoor said:
Links and pictures?

we could build 8000 lower hull units and use them as the basis to replace the MLVW, HLVW, LAV 1 and LAV 2 families, and even have enough vehicles to support training the reserve units. (Ever find it odd that it is considered too difficult to properly train Canadian Reservisrts to use LAVs when the reservists in other nations use more elaborate kit with less training?).

If we still want a "DFSV Regiment" at that point, it should be used to trial new doctrine, TTPs and equipment and show the way ahead for the rest of the armoured community.

Is that a typo or do you own a security interest in a few thousand shares in GDLS?

Back