• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The DFS Regt & other Future Armoured Regiment ideas

It would seem that with the term Surveillance being heavily thrown around, that we are indeed being pigeoned holed into becoming our allies garrison troops and base protection forces. With of course the odd more aggressive mission thrown in for the JTF.

I don't know I've been out of the loop for so long, but it sounds to me with the usage of the DFS teams (Surveillance units, etc.) in soft skinned vehicles that we are more and more being relegated to the role of support and mop up troops. Of course why not eh? With our equipment making us the laughing stock of the worlds real military's (well equip ones I mean), its not all that surprising I guess.

And yes Majoor, you have a valid point on the distinction of the word "cavalry". It is its own doctrine. I guess the fact that that doctrine is very much steeped in the way the Americans do things, that I don't see it as a good fit for us. Not unless we want to get rid of the regimental system and just go to numbered combat teams. Ow, my teeth hurt. :p

2Bravo said:
That being said, he did point out that the traditional "en masse" employment of tanks is not feasible in the urban environment. I see great potential in the light infantry/tank team for the urban setting.

With the number of tanks that we have (or potentially have), are we not well suited for this? Our en masse days are well over.

Zipper,

I agree that we do not have the ability to go into a mounted battle shoulder to shoulder with our potential coalition allies.  I think that we can have a role in the stand-up shooting war with our current kit if we adopt a Cavalry role.  Perhaps we pick another name (although my own Regt was formed out of the Cavalry Corps School).  We do have good kit, even if we do not have the full range of warfighting implements (tanks, MLRS, attack helicopters to name a few).  I would love to get even a small number of new tanks if only to give our light forces to ability to actually fight the three block war (right now I think that we can only fight in two).

Our mounted forces can also play an important role in the wide number of stability operations that our current and future security environment will see (Op ATHENA etc).  Perhaps this does mean that we are relegated to being a supporting actor instead of the star on the world stage.  I can accept this as long as we are not expected to be able to do the same tasks in a panzerless army as we could do in an army with tanks.  All the ISTAR, Command Support and precision weapons in the world cannot make up for main battle tanks if we are expected to undertake offensive operations in anything except jungles, mountains and the arctic.  Please excuse me for preaching to the choir!  I would argue that we are becoming a niche army, and I am trying to figure out how to be very good in that niche.

Cheers,

2B

p.s. We can keep our Regiments even if we change from Armoured to Cavalry.

Sigh. I know your right on many points. I am a wishful thinker.

I will rail against becoming a niche military of any kind though. I still believe that it would be a mistake to fall into that, even though that is what we have become over the many years of neglect. We have done a great job with what we have been given for so many years that its almost assumed that we like it. Sad.

I had a thought the other day (it doesn't happen very often) when I was reading through one of the various books on Canadian military history that I have.

Now this is assuming that we did have the tanks with which to play, but I'll go on and see what you guys think.

It used to be that the militia was far larger then the reg force. Our own RCD boys were then the Cavalry school and doing a bang up job of it. But back in those days, when there was a tasking to fill, they would activate a militia regiment (or more) to take care of it with the assistance of the school trainers. I was wondering why we don't go back and use some of the ideas from this?

Ok, don't scream at me just yet.

What I was thinking was that our reg force sqn's (A through C) be filled out with Tanks (Leo C2 or take your pick), and D sqn would be recce (Coyote and glorified jeep). Just like a normal regiment would be right? Now, the militia armoured regiments would be mainly tasked with the recce role, although some training would take place on the tanks when time and money allowed.

Now since most over-sea taskings (UN) are in the light role, the recce sqn's would be called upon most often. So instead of calling on the whole reg force sqn to go, and slot in a few militia to fill out the ranks. Why not have (lets say the RCD for example) D sqn send its SHQ and 1 troop, and ask of the militia regiments to supply the other 3 troops? This way your pulling more personal from the militia and thus not stretching the reg force so thin, and every level of the forces stays current and highly trained. You then build a good pool of people to call upon the next rotation, and their rested.

Now this has already be going on to some extent, but I was wondering if it could be expanded? It was one of those ideas you get whilst sitting on the can reading. And of course it assumes that we have more money for equipment and personal. Wishful thinking again...

HMMMMMMMM. Whats this i hear that NDHQ is studying a new weapon for the forces. The ROSS rifle!  seems to make as much sense as many of their other idea's lately.

Zipper said:
It used to be that the militia was far larger then the reg force. Our own RCD boys were then the Cavalry school and doing a bang up job of it. But back in those days, when there was a tasking to fill, they would activate a militia regiment (or more) to take care of it with the assistance of the school trainers. I was wondering why we don't go back and use some of the ideas from this?

Ok, don't scream at me just yet.

What I was thinking was that our reg force sqn's (A through C) be filled out with Tanks (Leo C2 or take your pick), and D sqn would be recce (Coyote and glorified jeep). Just like a normal regiment would be right? Now, the militia armoured regiments would be mainly tasked with the recce role, although some training would take place on the tanks when time and money allowed.

Now since most over-sea taskings (UN) are in the light role, the recce sqn's would be called upon most often. So instead of calling on the whole reg force sqn to go, and slot in a few militia to fill out the ranks. Why not have (lets say the RCD for example) D sqn send its SHQ and 1 troop, and ask of the militia regiments to supply the other 3 troops? This way your pulling more personal from the militia and thus not stretching the reg force so thin, and every level of the forces stays current and highly trained. You then build a good pool of people to call upon the next rotation, and their rested.

Now this has already be going on to some extent, but I was wondering if it could be expanded? It was one of those ideas you get whilst sitting on the can reading. And of course it assumes that we have more money for equipment and personal. Wishful thinking again...

Who knows.   With Paul Martin's proposed 5000 new Regular Force troops and the increases promised to the Reserves, perhaps some "Year Long Call Outs" could be developed, where in the example you were thinking of, two full Recce Troops could be formed to train and fill positions along side a Regular Unit.   The RCD could have a full 60 Troop in RHQ and another full Troop in Recce Sqn, all equipped with the GWagon Recce version.   This would facilitate training Reservists to higher standards, maintenance of their equipment to higher standards and fill any shortfalls for deployments.   It would bring the Reserve/Reg bonds closer together.   It would give Reservists more experience, whether they deployed or not.  

If the Reg Force Armd Regt's all go Recce, then there is the possibility that a fourth Recce Troop in GWagons could be attached, filled by Reservisits on long Call Outs.

GW

George Wallace said:
If the Reg Force Armd Regt's all go Recce, then there is the possibility that a fourth Recce Troop in GWagons could be attached, filled by Reservisits on long Call Outs.

GW

Which is exactly what we've (Armd Recce Reserve) been proposing and hoping for years, but no one took us seriously. Maybe someone will finally listen. I don't even care if some Reg guy says it's his idea and gets credit and promotion ;D. Just make it happen. It pains me to see the Infantry mount their "Light Vehicle Patrol" Companies, doing essentially what the Armd Recc Res guys have been trained for all along. Teaching R031 guys to drive iltis, learn veh patrol tactics and tasks, etc. and not use the pool of trained black hatters already avail is a farce.

recceguy said:
Which is exactly what we've (Armd Recce Reserve) been proposing and hoping for years, but no one took us seriously. Maybe someone will finally listen. I don't even care if some Reg guy says it's his idea and gets credit and promotion ;D. Just make it happen. It pains me to see the Infantry mount their "Light Vehicle Patrol" Companies, doing essentially what the Armd Recc Res guys have been trained for all along. Teaching R031 guys to drive iltis, learn veh patrol tactics and tasks, etc. and not use the pool of trained black hatters already avail is a farce.

But us performing the LVP Coy task would make too much sence, and would put a grunt out of work.

Well here is an even more radical idea.

How about we turn the Reg force into the "rapid deployment" forces and have them tasked to the lighter vehicles, and the reserves can maintain their full armoured status and have Tanks with which to train on? That way they would only pull the tracks out every so often for sumer training and gun camp and you wouldn't have as much of a strain on the maintenance system, but still maintain the tank training levels.

I know I'm going to get stoned for that idea. ;)

Zipper said:
Well here is an even more radical idea.

How about we turn the Reg force into the "rapid deployment" forces and have them tasked to the lighter vehicles, and the reserves can maintain their full armoured status and have Tanks with which to train on? That way they would only pull the tracks out every so often for sumer training and gun camp and you wouldn't have as much of a strain on the maintenance system, but still maintain the tank training levels.

I know I'm going to get stoned for that idea. ;)

You DON'T want to go there.........Check out some of our other threads on this idea of giving tanks to Reserves and look at the bun fighting that went on.

GW

Why wouldn't the DFS squadrons among the three armoured regiments rather than put them all in the LdSH(RC)?  Each armoured regiment could be organized with two reconnaissance and surveillance squadrons and a direct fire support squadron.  For deployments each regiment could field three mixed squadrons with two troops of Coyotes and one troop of MGSs to support each of the three infantry battalions.

I would guess the main reason to concentrate the DFS squadrons in the LdSH(RC) is to attain "critical mass" for training, logistics and institutional memory. Your idea to create "mixed" armoured regiments with 1 X DFS Squadron makes sense from a tactical perspective, but we would need a far larger number of DFS platforms (MGS/LAV-TOW/MMEV or whatever) to man all the regiments, the schools and build up a minimal reserve force capability in order to get the same "critical mass".

AMajoor prettty much summed it up!

I'd rather get more Coyotes and maybe LUVWs here for the Reconnaissance Squadrons than an orphan DFS Sqn with the resulting dilution of techs, tools and training. 

Cheers,

2B

George Wallace said:
You DON'T want to go there.........Check out some of our other threads on this idea of giving tanks to Reserves and look at the bun fighting that went on.

GW

That's pretty close-minded.

How come half of the Marine Corps' tank assets are in the reserves? 

Right now Canada is giving up its tank capability to focus on a LAV based force.  If the reg. force PYs were available, I'm sure that the Director of Armour would be maintaining a Leo unit somewhere in the order of battle.

But instead, there is this huge division between regular and reserve that deems the reservists incompetent buffoons who couldn't operate and maintain a Leopard MBT.  Now the system is pushing the reservists further away by giving them a platform to train on that doesn't exist in their regular brethren's TOE in any formation other than the OC's rover.

I've made the proposal before that a single regiment of Leopards be maintained.  This unit would be a 40/60 mix of regular and reserve in that you'd have your A Sqn. and Headquarters Sqn. as regulars and your B, C and D (D is tank, not recce) squadrons as reservists.  The equipment would be pooled at one or two central locations, ie. Wainwright and Gagetown. 

For example, you could have your "A" and HQ Sqn. based in Wainwright to support the CMTC.  The KOCR and SALH would be given the taskings of "B" and "C" sqn respectively and the 8th CH would be D Squadron based out of Gagetown. 

To support each of the reserve sqn.'s equipment, you'd have 4-6 reservists from each sqn. on class B contracts to do the daily maintenance on the vehicles and keep them in running order.

That way at least a repository of tank knowledge and capabilities wouldn't be lost.

It's dollars, Matt.  We cost account tanks by the km, so we can't afford to roll track.

Our LCMM guys have given us 'monthlies' that take a week to check-list through, so now people think if they give the tanks away, they can start to train again in garrison, and draw the tanks when needed.  Except, a tankless tank sqn is considered a labour bn by all concerned, and any trg is torpedoed by taskings and instructor assignments. Then, they send the sqn to Wainwright to do crew servicing on the tanks, because no one there can do it for them.  (Maintainers don't do monthlies - they fix the probs the crews find on the monthlies).

If we wanted to keep a tank capability, your way is a good way to do it.  Flush out the 'First Cdn Tk Regt' every summer with Armoured Reservists, and teach them D&M,  Gunnery, and Tactics.  Keep some during the winter to help ASU Wainwright and the Tk Sqns that roll through CMTC.  It would help Armd Reserve Regts retain soldiers, but it will never happen.

TCBF said:
It's dollars, Matt.  We cost account tanks by the km, so we can't afford to roll track.

Our LCMM guys have given us 'monthlies' that take a week to check-list through, so now people think if they give the tanks away, they can start to train again in garrison, and draw the tanks when needed.  Except, a tankless tank sqn is considered a labour bn by all concerned, and any trg is torpedoed by taskings and instructor assignments. Then, they send the sqn to Wainwright to do crew servicing on the tanks, because no one there can do it for them.  (Maintainers don't do monthlies - they fix the probs the crews find on the monthlies).

If we wanted to keep a tank capability, your way is a good way to do it.  Flush out the 'First Cdn Tk Regt' every summer with Armoured Reservists, and teach them D&M,  Gunnery, and Tactics.  Keep some during the winter to help ASU Wainwright and the Tk Sqns that roll through CMTC.  It would help Armd Reserve Regts retain soldiers, but it will never happen.

I don't quite understand your rationale.

I my proposal, the A Sqn. and HQ Sqn. and Regt. HQ (the regular component of the unit) would be based in Wainwright.  There would be no need to send the squadrons out to Wainwright to conduct monthlies as they'd be stationed there permanently.  As far as the unit becoming a "labour bn" because it was tankless, the unit would have its tanks with it in Wainwright.  The primary tasking of the A and HQ Sqn. would be to provide support for CMTCs mech. OPFOR (threat tanks and other non-infantry threat vehicles).  The secondary tasking of these troops (drawing more heavily from RHQ who would be geared less to support CMTC) would be to provide RSS staff and instructors for the reserve Leopard courses.  That way you keep a level of professional expertise of the tank community in the regular force.

The reserve squadrons' equipment would be pooled in either Wainwright or Gagetown, where there would be a small cadre staff (4-6 crewmen) of fulltime reservists who would do the maintenance on the vehicles for each squadron.  The EME/maintainer assets within the sabre and headquarters squadrons would be regulars (whose PYs could be covered by the planned expansion of the reg. force) as they have the years of intimate knowledge on repairing and maintaining the vehicles. 

If you are trying to tell me that a squadron of 19 tanks that don't get operated except for 2-3 days per month needs a larger maintenance crew than that proposed, I think you're smoking crack.  I've had too many friends in the regs in the armoured regiments who tell me at length of the lack of work and sheer boredom they have between field ex's when their days consist of "maintenance" on the panzers that haven't been operated in months, save a short 2-3km "maintenance drive" done once or twice a week.  The tanks that are grounded/broken remain that way not because of time constraints and intensity of labor needed to repair them, but more due to a lack of spare parts/money for parts.

An alternate training schedule would have to be developed for the reservists.  Perhaps the weeknights would focus on gunnery training in a simulator for the gunners and CCs and the drivers would practice maintenance procedures.  Each reserve squadron would require 1-2 Leopards at their unit for training.  However, this is hardly a problem supplying the Leopards as with the drawdown of the Leopard fleet, there is a surplus of them available.
Instead of conducting 1 FTX per month that was ran over 2 1/2 days (Friday night, Saturday & Sunday), 1 FTX would be run once every 2 months that was run over 5 days (Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun).  It would require a greater level of committment on the reservists part to sacrifice longer periods of time away from school or work, but if you want to play in the big leagues, you'd better step up to the plate.

Then when the proverbial balloon goes up as all hell has broken loose in Iran or North Korea (or wherever) and tanks are needed to fight in a mech. intensive battle (which is a very unlikely, although still plausible scenario) the "Canadian Tank Regiment" (or whatever you want to call it) is stood up (reservists are activated by an act of parliament) and it goes off to war. 

Is it a perfect solution.  NO.  Is it an affordable and manageable way for Canada to still maintain a viable tank option?  YES

The only thing blocking it is the will to integrate the regulars and reserves in such a unit.

"If you are trying to tell me that a squadron of 19 tanks that don't get operated except for 2-3 days per month needs a larger maintenance crew than that proposed, I think you're smoking crack."

- I base my opinion on 28 years in Armour, including time as a Troop Leader and Troop Warrant Officer in the 8 Ch (PL) in Germany 1987 - 1992., where there were three 19 - tank Sqns and a 24 Lynx Recce Sqn, plus a 7 Car Lynx Regimental Recce Troop.   Other than that, feel free to think what you want.

"I've had too many friends in the regs in the armoured regiments who tell me at length of the lack of work and sheer boredom they have between field ex's when their days consist of "maintenance" on the panzers that haven't been operated in months, save a short 2-3km "maintenance drive" done once or twice a week."

- And every time someone goes to set up training for those soldiers, it gets cancelled because a pack that was on order has come in, and you have to pull guys out of class to help change it, or all of your NCOs who should be training your troops, got tasked to go teach a CLC/whatever, or you can't get resources or trg areas because they were were given to a higher priority tasking.   I know their frustrations. I, too, was a Trooper in black coveralls once long ago, and had the distinct displeasure of experiencing an 'interview' with the Troop MCpl when I pointed out that pushing a broom in the hanger was boring, and would it be OK if I joined the Militia so I could at least soldier on nights and weekends?   It got real noisy after that, real fast.

" The tanks that are grounded/broken remain that way not because of time constraints and intensity of labor needed to repair them, but more due to a lack of spare parts/money for parts."

- Correct.

- So I will explain my rationale, since I did not make it clear the first time.

There - Will - Be - No - Money - For - This.

"If we wanted to keep a tank capability, your way is a good way to do it. " I said above, and I meant it.

But they don't want to do it.   It doesn't have to make sense, it's government policy.   To a civilian activist, tanks are inherently evil.   Our guvmint is advised and administered by civilian activists.   If you, personally, did 23,000 hours of research on your own time and sourced the money in the budget to fund your plan, they would take that money away from you and spend it on a 'higher priority', like a DND civilian employee conference discussing the protocol for dealing with co-workers stressed over the destruction of the rain forest environment supporting albino two toed sloths.

So, the only way we COULD fund this, is as part of keeping Leo skills alive to support CMTC trg, and on the cheap at that.   No big re-org, no extra units, just a cell that trains augmentees en masse for the leos, because the Regular Sqns are too busy doing Coyote or MGS/whatever.

I do love army.ca for all of the enthusiasm and interest, and the technical knowledge - averaged out - is pretty good.   But, there is a big misunderstanding here of the socio-political forces at play in how DND spends money and where it spends money.   Most of the ORBAT discussions on this site are electronic landfill.   Fun, though, I guess.

Your heart and your head are in the right place here.   But... It doesn't matter what you and I think, and it's not about money.   If it was about money, we would be buying M1A2 s - they are cheaper than the MGS.  But, they think tanks are evil, and that's that.

"Vision without funding is insanity"

Matt..
My regt just spent 20 years on Cougars that were usually kept in Gagetown, about 160 kms away. Bringing even a couple of AVGPs down to the Sqn locations a couple of times a year was a real pain, due to the hassle of flat bedding them. Driving was just as bad..they broke.
There are no mechs out there in Militia land to fix them, and getting a maint team from Gagetown (or Wainwright) to load up and head for such and such a place because some piddly arse little widget broke just won't wash.

A tank at an LHQ local would be a monument in about a month. As for using sims at the unit and travelling to the trg centre for tank work..sounds great till ya have to do it every weekend you train. Buses, rats, qtrs requests, requesting trg areas, trying to get recovery on a weekend, etc, etc..

I don't believe the G-Wagen is the be-all and end-all for Recce ops but at least they eliminate the need to travel to a CFB everytime you want to shake your troop out a bit.

Perhaps some combination of Reg and Reserve pers in a unit to hang on to the "tank" skills would be work, but it would have to be a totally different way than what we 've done in the past. A composite Reserve Sqn in Wainwright as part of an OPFOR, with a Reg Force mentor cadre might be the plan. The reservists could come from a number of units and do a 3 or 4 month stint as a muscle head, then rotate back to the home unit (Recce). The Reg Force part of the unit could provide the RHQ, A Sqn and HQ Sqn. This would enable the tank skills to stay alive and spread around the Corps. If we needed an operational Sqn, we would have more than enough soldats between the Reg Force Sqn and the (most current) Reserve guys to get it on the boat. Then you would still have a Cadre left to bring the next Sqn(s) up to snuff for Roto 2.

Aw, but then again, it'll probably never happen..
Think I'll go to the mess and cry in my beer.

TCBF said:
But, there is a big misunderstanding here of the socio-political forces at play in how DND spends money and where it spends money.

As opposed to Trudeau's decision (and JADEX's reversal of) to nix tanks, I thought the current movement away from the MBT towards the wheeled wonder was an inhouse affair - the Army and the CF decided to leave this capability behind.

Most of the ORBAT discussions on this site are electronic landfill.

:-\

TCBF said:
"If you are trying to tell me that a squadron of 19 tanks that don't get operated except for 2-3 days per month needs a larger maintenance crew than that proposed, I think you're smoking crack."

- I base my opinion on 28 years in Armour, including time as a Troop Leader and Troop Warrant Officer in the 8 Ch (PL) in Germany 1987 - 1992., where there were three 19 - tank Sqns and a 24 Lynx Recce Sqn, plus a 7 Car Lynx Regimental Recce Troop.   Other than that, feel free to think what you want.

I apologize in that my "smoking crack" remark was unwarranted and unprofessional.

However, I base my thoughts on my personal experience. 11 years in the armoured community in both the reserve and active/regular side of the house, having served 6 years in the CFs and 5 in the US Marines.  I serve in a reserve mech. unit (D Co. 4th LAR Bn.) that maintains its own equipment, deploys with its own equipment and fights with its own equipment. 

While my particular unit is LAV centric, the USMC, US Army (National Guard & Reserve), British, Germans, Dutch, Norwegians, Swedes and a pletheroa of other nations also maintain reserve tank units. 

TCBF said:
- And every time someone goes to set up training for those soldiers, it gets cancelled because a pack that was on order has come in, and you have to pull guys out of class to help change it, or all of your NCOs who should be training your troops, got tasked to go teach a CLC/whatever, or you can't get resources or trg areas because they were were given to a higher priority tasking.   I know their frustrations. I, too, was a Trooper in black coveralls once long ago, and had the distinct displeasure of experiencing an 'interview' with the Troop MCpl when I pointed out that pushing a broom in the hanger was boring, and would it be OK if I joined the Militia so I could at least soldier on nights and weekends?   It got real noisy after that, real fast.

This is more a problem that the entire CFs face, not just the RCAC's units. 
I don't see how your argument has much relevance on a proposal that has 4-6 reserve crewmen (Tpr/Cpl level) per sqn. on a class B/C contract whose primary tasking is to conduct the crew level maintenance on a sqn. of Leopards so that they're ready for the unit to draw them on training ex's.  Will these 4 crewmen be busy?  Very much so, but a happy soldier is one who is working his butt off doing his job.

We can't go on complaining about a broken system and how the Army is going down the drain because of civilian leadership.

We've got to be proactive and find real ways to keep the capabilities we have have and expand those that we don't.

What would you do to keep the tank capability alive and well in the Army?

DOOG said:
Matt..
My regt just spent 20 years on Cougars that were usually kept in Gagetown, about 160 kms away. Bringing even a couple of AVGPs down to the Sqn locations a couple of times a year was a real pain, due to the hassle of flat bedding them. Driving was just as bad..they broke.
There are no mechs out there in Militia land to fix them, and getting a maint team from Gagetown (or Wainwright) to load up and head for such and such a place because some piddly arse little widget broke just won't wash.

A tank at an LHQ local would be a monument in about a month. As for using sims at the unit and travelling to the trg centre for tank work..sounds great till ya have to do it every weekend you train. Buses, rats, qtrs requests, requesting trg areas, trying to get recovery on a weekend, etc, etc..

This system worked fairly well for the MTSC in Wainwright who kept a sqn. of AVGPs as a training pool which the armoured units in LFWA would draw for FTXs.  It wasn't a very practical system for the BCDs who'd have to fly in from BC, but for units such as the KOCR and SALH it worked.   

As far as "Buses, rats, qtrs requests..."  This is part and parcel of any military operation or exercise.  It doesn't matter if you're using Leopards Iltis' or black cadillacs, you've still got that required administrative stuff to do.  Buses would have to be requested, yes.  No biggie.  Most reserve infantry units are already being bused to training areas for ex's.  Rations...well that's a given for any field ex.  Quarters request...not an issue as the unit would be in bivouac.  Training areas request, yes...which is another given for any FTX.  Recovery on a weekend is also another non-issue, because your echelon folks who're fulltime would have an amended work schedule where they'd work that weekend you were training, and get compensating time off during the week.

DOOG said:
Perhaps some combination of Reg and Reserve pers in a unit to hang on to the "tank" skills would be work, but it would have to be a totally different way than what we 've done in the past. A composite Reserve Sqn in Wainwright as part of an OPFOR, with a Reg Force mentor cadre might be the plan. The reservists could come from a number of units and do a 3 or 4 month stint as a muscle head, then rotate back to the home unit (Recce). The Reg Force part of the unit could provide the RHQ, A Sqn and HQ Sqn. This would enable the tank skills to stay alive and spread around the Corps. If we needed an operational Sqn, we would have more than enough soldats between the Reg Force Sqn and the (most current) Reserve guys to get it on the boat. Then you would still have a Cadre left to bring the next Sqn(s) up to snuff for Roto 2.

This is another decent idea that could use some further exploration.
The only downsides I see are that with having a Reg Force mentor cadre, what happens when those "Leopard Gurus" all retire and the only people left using the Leopards are the few reservists who've shuffled in an out of LUVW recce. to do call outs at the CMTC's Leopard/OPFOR sqn.?  The Sr. NCOs and officers who would move into the cadre spots would have their experience based on LAV and MGS platforms.  In my proposal, 1 reg. force sqn. of Leopards is maintained so that a seed corn at the reg. force level is still maintained.  That way you've got reg. force pers. at all levels (Tpr-Maj.) who are versed in the art and science of working with tanks, rather than Sr. NCOs and officers being parachuted into an organization which they're supposed to provide the subject matter expertise, but have no experience on.

Back