• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The current navy uniform

I have heard the USN did the same thing we did with their uniforms in the 1970s & ended up turning back as (apparently) most sailors liked the old square rig better.  Personally, I loved the rig when I was a sea cadet (we wore it as ceremonial day & mess dress).  It was perhaps the only article of clothing I found attractive on myself & girls!

But I do admit that the tight, bell bottomed uniform is not suited to older sailors.  Though it is only intended for jr ratings (and they would tend to be younger) I find it rather disconcerting after a certain age.

The RN & USN wear it without a problem (from what I know).  Add to that my conservatism & I'm all for reinstating square rig.  That said, the navy's uniform has gone thru so many changes that hanging on to a (albeit longstanding) temporary uniform is really only perhaps reactionary conservatism.

All I really want back is the authorisation to wear the white trousers & reefer jacket as daytime ceremonial dress.  I'm not sure about the cocked hat, yet.

A few months ago, I found that someone was selling the RCN officer buttons on e-Bay (which were used before unification). I won them, and now they are on my uniform. Therefore, I am no longer wearing the generic NCM uniform buttons.

It's funny, I have a tunic of a non-commissioned officer, however with officer buttons. I am certain that someone that was in the RCN before unification would certainly think that this is odd.

Does anyone know when abouts the navy stopped wearing handkerchiefs (sp?) in what I assume is a handkerchief pocket on our tunics, or reefer jacket (for sailing instructor ;) ) ?

I'm working on the Battle of the Atlantic for my military history class, and most of the pics I see of officers of that time are wearing something in the pocket. When did that practice cease? And why is the damn pocket still there if we can't put a 'chief in it??

The Fighting 47th said:
Does anyone know when abouts the navy stopped wearing handkerchiefs (sp?) in what I assume is a handkerchief pocket on our tunics, or reefer jacket (for sailing instructor ;) ) ?

I'm working on the Battle of the Atlantic for my military history class, and most of the pics I see of officers of that time are wearing something in the pocket. When did that practice cease? And why is the damn pocket still there if we can't put a 'chief in it??

we stopped wearing the hanky in our pockets (or up our sleeves) when we went to the green uniform in 1968. It was never re-instated when we came out with the DEU in 1984, It is a British affectation that can stay in the past along with the archaic term of "reefer jacket" which probably hasn't been used since the 19th Century.
I joined in 77 (as a Reg Force MARS Officer) and there was never any mention of the term "reefer jacket." At any rate an officer never would have worn a reefer jacket as they didn't used to mucky their hands doing any reefing (of sails).

Just a word to the wise...it's nice to know about customs and traditions...it's really geeky to keep referring to things in a manner that nobody else understands or cares about.

The uniform of today was basically taken from the USN pattern because it was deemed politically incorrect to go back to a British Uniform. A lot of people wanted the old square rig back and distinctive uniforms for Chiefs and POs. It's not a class distinction thing it's a rank distinction thing no different from rank badges....it's easier to tell who's who on parade etc and looks a lot sharper...IMHO.

brin11-did you ever get an answer to what is a square rig? Check out this website -scroll way down to the commissioning picture of our sailors on parade at the CFS Mill Cove (I was there at that time). The sailors in collars gunshirts and silks are in square rig.

http://jproc.ca/rrp/mc_mill_cove.html

Sexy -- oh yes!!! Would turn my head any day  ;)

:cdn:
Hawk

IN HOC SIGNO said:
we stopped wearing the hanky in our pockets (or up our sleeves) when we went to the green uniform in 1968. It was never re-instated when we came out with the DEU in 1984, It is a British affectation that can stay in the past

A handkerchief is a very useful thing to have.  Fold it right and you can fit it into an inside pocket without creating a bulge, but it would be a lot easier to be able to just pop it into the breast pocket.  You will find no end of Canadian, thoroughly non-British, men who do just that in civilian clothing.

Neill McKay said:
A handkerchief is a very useful thing to have.  Fold it right and you can fit it into an inside pocket without creating a bulge, but it would be a lot easier to be able to just pop it into the breast pocket.  You will find no end of Canadian, thoroughly non-British, men who do just that in civilian clothing.

Including me - the hankie is great for wiping sawdust caked sweat out of your eyes - I don't wear a bandanna because I don't wear loose clothing around industrial machinery - period.

Anyway sorry for the hi-jack - I'm finding this thread very interesting, having never served with the Navy.

Roy

Hawk said:
brin11-did you ever get an answer to what is a square rig? Check out this website -scroll way down to the commissioning picture of our sailors on parade at the CFS Mill Cove (I was there at that time). The sailors in collars gunshirts and silks are in square rig.

http://jproc.ca/rrp/mc_mill_cove.html

Sexy -- oh yes!!! Would turn my head any day  ;)

Hawk

Yeah aren't those uniforms great?? Yes they did and still do turn heads. Love them!

Hankies are fine but keep em outta sight I say...who wants to see your old snot rag anyway?? ;D

Note in the pics of Mill Cove circa 1967 none of the Naval Officers had the hankie in their breast pocket. ::)

I'd never heard of a breast-pocket hankie in uniform either. It might have been from an earlier era.

The commanding officer in those pictures. LCdr Young was a great guy-we loved him! He banned saluting on the base, and one day stood a sailor at attention in the all-ranks galley and dressed him down -in front of everyone. Normally forbidden, but the reason was he didn't get invited to buy a square on the hockey pool. Caused a great laugh-and he got first choice after that!!! He called in a favour and got real Pusser Rum for our plum pudding at Christmas dinner.

Hawk

I was at the Honours and Awards ceremony yesterday at Stad and three CPO1s were presented with their Warrant. They were all lined up getting their pic taken with the Admiral. The Admiral was beaming largely while all the Chiefs were scowling at the camera (probably cause the photo tech was in CADPAT ha ha) The Tech said "smile gentlemen." And one of the old salts snapped "We're Chiefs; we don't smile!" It brought down the house!  :(

Excellent answer. Come to think of it, I don't remember too many smiling chiefs, either! I remember some that could tell the most outrageous jokes, without ever cracking a smile!

Hawk

Well i have to say
1) the Square rig or whatever you call it...wow...no way would i want to be wearing that let alone working in it, it just seems very unprofessional, not to mention the hat, seems cumbersome and ill-suited for duty. Basically that uniform is in the past and for gods sake let it rest there.

2) I also agree about the distinction between ratings and officers...contrary to how things were 100 + yrs ago, ratings are educated now, and in my opinion shouldnt be segregated or made fun of because they do not have a commission, we already have slight differences like NCM's wear parade boots, while officers wear oxfords, and the gold leaves/lining on the peak cap, and obviously the ranks...more then that i think is unnecessary, and would become a social class commentator rather then identification marker.

3) Our NCD's are horrible, threads just keep popping out of it constantly and like someone else said wash and dry them a few times and the fire retardant qualities are rendered almost null.  I must say that i also dont understand why a WORK uniform i.e a uniform you wear to paint, or fix a dirty engine, and do all that fun stuff should be ironed, it baffles my mind that you need creases in your shirt in the morning or whenever your watch is on, to only screw them up by rolling your sleeves or working which naturally dirties and ruins your wonderful ironing job...lets just say i dont have a very high opinion of the NCD's, and i dont exactly understand why they were designed to be the way they are...CADPAT to me makes total sense...ironing NCD's is like ironing CADPAT...you wouldnt do it, cuz it doesnt make sense.  We need to revise our NCDs and make them more work friendly...i mean for god's sake its to work in and get dirty and messy and what not...not to be worn to a fancy supper.

Our NCD's are horrible, threads just keep popping out of it constantly and like someone else said wash and dry them a few times and the fire retardant qualities are rendered almost null.  I must say that i also dont understand why a WORK uniform i.e a uniform you wear to paint, or fix a dirty engine, and do all that fun stuff should be ironed, it baffles my mind that you need creases in your shirt in the morning or whenever your watch is on, to only screw them up by rolling your sleeves or working which naturally dirties and ruins your wonderful ironing job...lets just say i dont have a very high opinion of the NCD's, and i dont exactly understand why they were designed to be the way they are...CADPAT to me makes total sense...ironing NCD's is like ironing CADPAT...you wouldnt do it, cuz it doesnt make sense.  We need to revise our NCDs and make them more work friendly...i mean for god's sake its to work in and get dirty and messy and what not...not to be worn to a fancy supper.
[/quote]

+1 to that!!!!! 

Coveralls........ I've said it before, and I'll say it again....

But then again I'm in the Air Force, a place where common sense is appreciated.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
But then again I'm in the Air Force, a place where common sense is appreciated.

:rofl:

you're gonna be in for a schock !!!

I am sure the Air Force has its moments, but the navy seems to have a problem with mass retardation.

CADPAT on a ship makes no sense at all. CADPAT is a camoflage uniform for hiding in the bush...looks really retarded on board a ship. You need fire retardent gear for onboard a ship that you can quickly close all the openings when you go to action stations....the Aussies have coveralls and they make all kinds of sense.....bring them on I say.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
CADPAT on a ship makes no sense at all. CADPAT is a camoflage uniform for hiding in the bush...looks really retarded on board a ship.
Oy, that is just silly.

Spoken from your vast experience with the Army and Navy is it? The CADPAT uniform was designed by the "Clothe the Soldier" program. The disruptive camoflage pattern was field tested for approximately ten years to come up with a uniform that best suited field soldiers. The uniform also has a coating to make it somewhat resistant to IR sensors.
We need uniforms in the Navy that suit our environment. we don't need a uniform to help us hide in the bush or evade IR sensors. We need a uniform that helps when fire breaks out onboard due to enemy action or other misadventures. When we go to action stations we have to close all the openings on our clothing and don flash gear etc......a one piece overall is best suited to that.
what exactly is silly about all of the above?

Back