• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The current navy uniform

Sailing Instructor said:
Are sailors supposed to have 1 or 2 reefer jackets?   If we're supposed to have 1, do airpersons not get a heavyweight & a lightweight tunic (i.e. 2 tunics)?

PS.   Re: my last post: I'm obviously insane.

Air Force has lightweight and heavyweight CFs, 2 pants and one tunic for each uniform, to my knowledge we're the only ones that do anymore. The Army used to have the tans but those ceased to exist in the 90's.

Affirmative.  I am in current issue of a "summer weight" and "winter weight" tunic.  Although the winter never get's worn.

cheers

PV

Sailing Instructor said:
Are sailors supposed to have 1 or 2 reefer jackets?  

I've never heard the term reefer jacket before. Are you refering to the Tunics??

If so we get issued 2 identical tunics as part of your initial issue.

I have also only heard them referred to as tunics even by Clothing Stores.

PViddy said:
I thought "reefer" jacket was a Navy thing ?

PV

Never heard of it until it was referred to as such here and I have been navy since '94.

Same here, been Navy since '92 and the only reefer term I've ever heard in the Navy refers to the sea containers that have refrigeration built in.

We use them when the freezers/refrigerators are down for maintenance.

Same here Navalsnpr.

I googled reefer jacket and this is what I came up with. Hardly looks like what I have to wear on Divisions.

http://www.nauticalia.com/uk-c/clothing/jackets/

Then again why take my word on it....  ::)

Looks like what a fisherman would put on to sorta dress up way back when!!

And a lot more expensive than our tunics at £189.00.....Ouch!

Wait a minute...i know that guy....he's on Vancouver isn't he !!!!    NCI Op.........

The reefer jacket (or monkey jacket, as 'monkey' refers to it being short: i.e. shorter than the old frock coat) is the true name for what the CFSS now calls a tunic.  It is also the name of the working overcoat the USN officers wear (the ratings wear a 'pea-coat').  'Reefer' is derived from reefing in the sails.  This was usually done in very bad weather, thus requiring a coat, which I suppose was also short to permit movement.  That the CF calls the reefer a tunic is no doubt due to the navy wearing the green tunic for a few decades & the name sticking.  However, the white, high-collared, dealie is technically the navy's only tunic as it is a cross between a shirt & jacket.

Thanks for telling me the navy has 2 jackets/tunics.  I thought something was suspicious when I was told we only got one.  As for 'initial issue,' I suppose that the phrase technically refers to the first time a CF member gets a piece of kit but I believe the main purpose of the rushed issue-parade for a whole platoon on basic is to provide the soldiers with just enough kit to keep them busy ironing & sewing.

How long ago, in the RN & CF, did what the CF now calls no 3s cease to be working dress?  (I assume for Canada it was when the RCN became the CF & the whole uniform changed but I don't know for sure.)  I have seen lots of photos of officers in helmets, webbing, & reefer jackets from ww2 & even some photos of RN officers wearing that rig for what appeared to be everyday work aboard ship.

When I look up our tunic for its NATO Stock Number is does not say Reefer Jacket. It says tunic, I would say you have to accept the fact thats its called something different and move on or be looked upon strangely when you call it something its not.

Hi everybody

I have this to say about the naval tunic ... I wish that we could go back to the 8 botton jacket. We look like a) American naval officers, or b) Non-commissioned members. I think that Canada is the only Commonwealth country that has the same uniform for all its naval members.  :crybaby: I think that we should go back to the former 8 bottons for officers, and keep the 6 bottons for NCMs (or even futher ... by giving sailors the jumpers again).

Have a nice day!

ctjj.stevenson said:
Hi everybody

I have this to say about the naval tunic ... I wish that we could go back to the 8 botton jacket. We look like a) American naval officers, or b) Non-commissioned members. I think that Canada is the only Commonwealth country that has the same uniform for all its naval members.  :crybaby: I think that we should go back to the former 8 bottons for officers, and keep the 6 bottons for NCMs (or even futher ... by giving sailors the jumpers again).

We finally got rid of the class distinctions in uniforms (though small vestiges remain (at least in the Army, like goldwire cap badges for officers, regimental ties, etc.) why on earth would you want to reintroduce them?  I thought the purpose of a uniform was to make people look uniform?  Rank distinctions are fine, but there is no need for completely different uniforms.  Officers aren't a seperate class of people anymore, they are simply a higher rank.  We are reaching the point that NCMs are just as well educated as the officers, so why make distinctions?

Personnally, I guess that I like the 8 botton uniform better, therefore, here would be my next recommendation ... just to add in two extra bottons. I think that this uniform actually looks sharper that the one that we have today. My two cents.

Ex-Dragoon said:
When I look up our tunic for its NATO Stock Number is does not say Reefer Jacket. It says tunic, I would say you have to accept the fact thats its called something different and move on or be looked upon strangely when you call it something its not.

I accept that CFSS calls it a tunic & that it is the common term for the black jacket nowadays.  However, I was merely pointing out why (I think) it is called a tunic rather than a reefer/monkey jacket, which it used to be.  I suppose in this matter, I am speaking with an excess of traditionalism: preserving the use of an antique name for a garment even though it does not help my life out in that everyone I talk to is confused upon the words 'reefer jacket.' 

As for 8 vs 6 button, I'd prefer the 8 button, but it could be another example of my excess antiquarian history.*  Although I must add that I would bring in the other 2 buttons for all ranks, so the 'true uniform' issue is a moot point.

As for the jumper...man is that a sexy uniform.  Aesthetically, I like it, but I'm not going to argue against the class distinction issue (not within the military, anyway).  What about American & British (& all of the other countries which have essentially copied the RN uniform) sailors, though?  Are we to assume that their navies see the jr ratings as uneducated by dressing them differently?

*Friedrich Nietzsche, On the advantage and disadvantage of history for life.

Does anyone know where you get buy the metallic-thread cap badges? The Canex at St. Jean had that a while back, but I haven't seen them since.

The navy is big on tradition historically I would wager (though I don't assert) that the navy holds onto tradition more so then any other branch, any navy does I believe, which is why I'm surprised the old uniforms for NCOs has been done away with.

Is it a Canadian-ism? Trying to forge a seperate and unique identity from everyone else?
Or is it just something we lost when the branches merged, though we did managed to eventually get back a few things.

I agree with Michael that uniforms are meant to encourage uniformit and we are at a point where the differences between NCOs and Officers are few so many might disagree with holding on to what might be seen as one of the last few vestiges of class differences, but even specifically with the navy, can anything be said of tradition Re: the Jumpers etc?

Back