• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

the best thing about the navy

• Thread starter Thread starter LL
  • Start date Start date
Well i'm only a recruit (reserve) waiting to really be in the navy, but in my limited experience (rtu'd after 6 weeks bmq), my CO has made sure I got a real good taste of life in the navy:

RTU'd August, 2 weeks leave then was tasked to hose down and paint some curbs around the unit: LOVED IT, got to know all the staff at the unit and found them very helpful and supportive, the CO is awesome too, I'd take a bullet for that man

went back to civvie job doing the usual every other Tuesday and occasional Saturdays

Got signed up for the YAG weekend, awesome! We sailed a bunch of YAGS, I cooked, steered the yag, got some experience with the Nav Comms on deck,got a RIB ride (oh gotta love that), cooked and cleaned and had a fabulous time (long days, short nights, worth it) met some reg force engineers who taught us firefighting and just were awesome guys, knew their stuff, very impressive and professional

Got signed up for range weekend....oh may gawd, awesome, shot some c7's, guard duty the gate, LS and MS were totally professional and great bunch of leaders

Did some berthing parties and that was a learning curve, great bunch of MS and LS and PO is fantastic.

So much more and I haven't even passed bmq.

Oh and then there is the support I get from everyone in my unit re fitness.

Oh and the Xmas party, sat next to the CO (not that I wanted to) but he's a very interesting man with a very interesting navy history.

What's the best thing about the navy? I guess it's the people. Yes, it's the people. Whether they are disgruntled old sailors or LS looking for a promotion, they are by far the best, most honest people I've ever met.

My .02 and I only hope I can be a real part of the unit one day soon!

NVCM:
it seems you have bought into the Navy and the CF.

Vice fighting against, (an assumption based on your email addy)

When everybody works together onboard and pulls there weight, sailing is AWESOME!

Good luck...GO REGS!

NavComm said:
What's the best thing about the navy? I guess it's the people. Yes, it's the people.

10 years and 7 months (who's counting!) after I took FRP my only close friends are still those I met and served with in the Navy. Friends come and go, but you keep your wingers around forever.

potato

I concur wholeheartedly. The best friends you will ever make are those you make in the Armed Forces.

And , by the way, one of the best things about the navy used to be "Hands to muster for grog". :cdn:

Back