• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

the best thing about the navy

• Thread starter Thread starter LL
  • Start date Start date
When I heard the Navy's motto of "Eat until you're tired, sleep until you're hungry", I had second thoughts as to why I'm in the Army!  ;D

ahhh...the navy : If it moves, salute it.......if it doesn't move, paint it white !!

Warm clean sheets to sleep in, laundry facilities, hot daily showers and 5 square meals a day!!

Work hard in the navy?  Sure there are some long days, but most days are SHORT.....I don't know of any job out in Civie land that pays as much for little work... It is mostly mindless work.............When you are at sea everyday is long, until you are pounding back drinks at Dukes, then it is all worth it.  It is boring for the most part, but with only 10 years  to go, I can work on another career...

20 Hour days in the NAVY...Only at sea my friend, alongside it is clean the ship, hang out and go home.......and you get a free lunch!!

Sub_Guy said:
Work hard in the navy?   Sure there are some long days, but most days are SHORT.....I don't know of any job out in Civie land that pays as much for little work... It is mostly mindless work.............When you are at sea everyday is long, until you are pounding back drinks at Dukes, then it is all worth it.   It is boring for the most part, but with only 10 years   to go, I can work on another career...

20 Hour days in the NAVY...Only at sea my friend, alongside it is clean the ship, hang out and go home.......and you get a free lunch!!

Depends on your ship, coast, Cox'n and CO on whether your days or short or not(and whether I suppose you work hard and I guess whether your job is mindless or not), sometimes you are there longer then regular working hours....

REally, so you are saying the navy can be lots of mindless and boring work?

Dont u consider it something that u feel very good about doing?
A career that you dont mind devoting your life to?

Whats the deal with that? I am confused now?

Read the rest of the posts koss and don't base your view on one persons experiences.

koss78a said:
Hello all i hope i dont get in trouble for this post.
I am considering joining the navy, but some people i know are scareing my away, by telling me that all that:

"the navy and military are is you work 20 hours a day, and only interact with military people in your work and social life.
you will no longer get to interact with the civilian world ever again.
You will be a working slave, who all that does is work and work and no fun.
Say good bye to your family as you will never see them if u have them.
your whole like what u eat and breathe is military"

Is that a true description, i totally hope not.

dude, i still party and chill with my friends from highschool all the time, have lots of contact with civis, the military changed nothing with my old friends, I guess its a good thing i got posted to my hometown. And the eat/breath military doesnt apply either, you still live the normal life in the military, dont let people scare you.

And yes i did look through the forums on here for answers.
Thank you once again, to all of your forum people :cdn:

Ex-Dragoon said:
Depends on your ship, coast, Cox'n and CO on whether your days or short or not(and whether I suppose you work hard and I guess whether your job is mindless or not), sometimes you are there longer then regular working hours....

Sliders and make and mends notwithstanding, I think one can be quite busy or bored to death depending on the evolution and the exercise/operation [if any]. Workups suck, thats for sure. Not because of the hours, but because of all the whining about the hours- at least that was my experience with them.    

For some reason, I have a feeling gunnery practice is not as frequent as it once was. I'll bet most CO's don't even beat to quarters* in the evening anymore, let alone during the day/night.   I've heard that many trades are standing 1/2 due to manpower shortages.

As for the food, it is the best. Period. ['specially the duff]

*edit: that means close up for action stations.

Regarding the Navy Reserves I heard today from a guy at the CFRC that unless your naval reserve unit is along the coast you really dont get to do much at sea. I would prefer to join the navy reserve but this changes things if I cant actually get on a vessel. Anyone have some insight on this issue?

He is misleading you as I see quite a few from Ontario, Quebec and even a couple from the Praries here in Halifax duriung the summer.

Like anything in the military, it is what you make of it. If you sign up with a good attitude and are willing to put in a little effort you can have the time of your life.
The reserve navy can be quite different from the reg force navy at times. You will work with lots of great people and a couple of a$$es. You may end up having one or two long days in your year but if you are really interested then you won't let that stop you. Good Luck with your decisions. ;)

ambex said:
Regarding the Navy Reserves I heard today from a guy at the CFRC that unless your naval reserve unit is along the coast you really dont get to do much at sea. 

This can be true for weekend training.  Units only have so much in their budget for travel and expenses, so you only get out to the coast a couple of times a year, and that includes doing firefighting and flood refresher training, as well as getting into the bridge simulators. 

However, if you are looking for either long-term (1 to 3 years) as a reservist, or even a couple of months in the summer, a couple of weeks throughout the year, it doesn't matter what unit you are from.

As well, throughout the year (a couple of times at least) there is training available on the MCDV's specifically aimed towards the members of reserve units.  It allows them the chance to get to sea, integrate with the core crew of the vessel and schedule time for on-job training for a qualification package, stuff that can only be done at sea.

For more information, instead of just talking to your local recruiter, contact the nearest reserve unit to you.  They also have a recruiter.  And, if you ask, they are more than happy to have you come in on a training night to talk to some of the member's of the unit and ask specific questions.  Good luck!

Iam planning on being a part of the reserves for at least the duration of university, so 4-5 years.  Thank you for the advice, I think I will be giving the local navy reserve base a call to see what they do throughout the year.

This is my opinion about the and is based on my very brief experience , so far, on the East Coast. I LOVE IT.  I can't say that I have experienced anything negative yet, except for my room mate, whom I am willing to give away. The food is good, despite some wanting to give up the ration dues. The people I have met are great. Most are VERY helpful.

POV from a navy wife...

Donaill ... welcome to the East Coast. With which unit are you posted?

From what I have been told, the port visits are something you don't wanna miss. Many people, without the military, wouldn't have the opportunity to see the world and these beautiful places.

Sleeping in "coffin-like-beds" are not something to look forward to (Don't sit up too quickly - LOL)

As far as spending time at sea, my husband has been "lucky" and hasn't been to sea since I met him. However, he is scheduled to sail just about every waking moment the start of 2006. He is an NCIop. Depending on what trade you take, would have a great impact on your sea time. Stewards and cooks are gone a fair bit, as are bosons. I had a chance to take one of these positions and turned them away for the simple fact of spending so much time away from my family.

From the wife's POV...

There are some good and bad about having your husband gone. From the other wives I have spoken with, they have become accustomed to having their "space" and "doing their own thing" while their husband is away. Myself, not being away from my husband (yet) while he sails, I see nothing good about this  ::) I'm sure I will cope. However, there is no better feeling than knowing your husband is serving his country. The kids (and myself) have so much respect for him. He IS my hero! He has been there for me through so much since I have met him. (Another story for another time -LOL)

I apologize for the lengthy post. I'm sure you will hear different sides from everyone as to why you should or shouldn't join the navy. Myself, I am currently joining the army reserves as an RMS CLK. Thats just my preference. Whatever you choose to do, make sure its for your own reasons and not because of anything else. Becoming a part of the forces as something you're not happy with will only impact your performance on the job. I know many who have gone through this and its not as simple as saying I wanna switch trades.

Welcome to the Forces

S.Bradbury
    :cdn:

The best is leaving for a 6 month deployment (party) and representing!!! :cdn:

Back