• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

the aptitude test

Ayrsayle said:
Marshall - your question has been addressed in many forums regarding the CFAT. Might take a minute or two, but a search through them will net you your answer. Perhaps just as importantly - why does it matter if it is done on a computer or on paper? You test mark will be the same, no?
It's done on a computer.... :p
I think it's quicker this way, no?

the math part of this test makes me rather nervous as Ive never been good with numbers.  More so what worries most is the word problems as I always get confused with what type of math to apply to acquire the answer.  Words get jumbled and panic sets in.  Fractions, prime numbers, factors, etc ...  I find myself putting this off more and more in fear of failing it ...

- T.

Fotoshark said:
the math part of this test makes me rather nervous as Ive never been good with numbers.  More so what worries most is the word problems as I always get confused with what type of math to apply to acquire the answer.  Words get jumbled and panic sets in.  Fractions, prime numbers, factors, etc ...  I find myself putting this off more and more in fear of failing it ...

- T.
You never know what you can accomplish if you're to scared to try. Anyone can do it, if they're prepared. There are no trick questions on the test, best advice, get a GED book, it will teach you everything you need to know to be successful on the test.

Fotoshark said:

- T.

The idea behind a word problem is that information given in text is to be translated
into symbols, numbers, and equations. Once you know how to do this translation
sentence by sentence, step by step, things will be much simpler.
The expected level of mathematics in the test is no deeper than +, -, x, / .
The concept is to know when to use these operators.
Of course, it is a test,and there are always strategies to optimize the outcomes
of a test result but I shouldn't discuss the details.
Tricks for beating games/tests revolve around time usage.

vhaust said:
The idea behind a word problem is that information given in text is to be translated
into symbols, numbers, and equations. Once you know how to do this translation
sentence by sentence, step by step, things will be much simpler.
The expected level of mathematics in the test is no deeper than +, -, x, / .
The concept is to know when to use these operators.
Of course, it is a test,and there are always strategies to optimize the outcomes
of a test result but I shouldn't discuss the details.
Tricks for beating games/tests revolve around time usage.

Yea true.  In math classes throughout high school (way too long ago) I used to confuse the problems with the wrong solution way too many times.  lol  Over anxious I dunno.  I picked up a Mathemetics for dummies book I've gone thru to practice and bring back math to me as I've been out of school a long time now. 
Just submitted the online ap as well, so no more fear it's time to get this goin :)

- T.

ktong747 said:
I just wrote the CFAT today and attained the required score for signal operator.

I apologize if I made it look like I didn't study. I looked at math.com for a refresher as well as did the practice GCT2 test. I am in Police Foundations at Seneca College and math is not taught as part of the program. Thanks to all of those in this forum who recommended looking at math.com as well as the General Competency Test Level 2 (GCT2). Those two things more than prepared me for the problem solving portion of the CFAT.

The math is simple grade 10 math. I passed grade 10 applied math three years ago and I believe it is sufficient enough for the CFAT.

Best of luck to all those who have to write it.

off topic but are you on the King campus?

ktong747 said:
Yes I am. I believe police foundations is only offered at King campus.
I used to visit there all the time. Almost ended up going this year for PF

Back