• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Terminology

DanielleAnne

Inactive
Reaction score
I have some questions on terminology:

what do these terms mean?

Jacked up

Chit

I can't think of the others

Thanks in advance for the help

Jacked up means to get in trouble for something.
"Sgt MacFarlane got jacked up by the BSM for not requiring the Detachment Commanders to maintain standardized layouts on their gun platforms."

Chit has a couple fo meanings. It is, I think, most frequently used to describe a written "excuse", usually from the medics.
"Although it was obvious that MBdr Graham had a skin condition on his face, the BSM made him get a chit from the MO, before excusing him from shaving."

Jacked Up

To have corrective training applied, usually in the form of verbal instruction.

A record of either a shortcoming or a success, depending on the colour of the ink used to inscribe it; a "blue chit" being good, and a "red chit" being bad. Deprecated.

Also; a form of credit issued by the unit canteen or mess "I don't have any cash on me, put this beer on my chit"

DG

Jacked up: As in getting in trouble, the instructor or Section commander would yell or get you in trouble and you would tell your buddies that you just got Jacked up

Chit: There are two chits Red and Blue they are used for training, Red is bad and you get it for something like not polishing your boots three red chits of the same Offense add up to an initial waring and blue chits are given out for good things.

I heard the don't use the chit system anymore does anybody know about this?

Chits (red and blue) for training are obselete and have been for a couple years.  Now for minor infractions you get "counselling", which is administered by any section staff.  Get caught for the same infraction again and you get an initial warning by the platoon commander.  "Counselling" is identical to an initial or final warning in format (i.e. it is written on the same kind of form).

I haven't heard of any official replacement for the oh so rare blue chit.

In the context of individual training (basic courses) a chit will most commonly refer to medical chits as muskrat explained.

thats funny, im on BMQ right now with reserves and some people in the Platoon dont have boots polished, leave some of their kit at home (PT gear) and they all get RED chits.......so the question is....are they really obselete....lol

Caleix

Caleix said:
thats funny, im on BMQ right now with reserves and some people in the Platoon dont have boots polished, leave some of their kit at home (PT gear) and they all get RED chits.......so the question is....are they really obselete....lol
I'm sure Standards will be happy to hear that.  I am 95% certain that the changes I've described are not LFWA specific.

Not entirely sure on this, but I believe the administration of warnings, etc. while on course is up to the discretion of the school in question. At least up to the point where you start getting into Final Warnings/Progress Review Boards (PRB), which from what I have seen are fairly standard between schools.

The Infantry School in Gagetown, unless it's changed in the past year, still uses a chit system on Officer training courses. For example:
- a shitty morning room inspection throughout the platoon will get you a red 'leadership chit' if you're the course senior that day
- doing something stupid like forgetting an important piece of kit back in the hide when going on patrol will get you a red 'follower chit'

Two or three (I forget) chits for the same genre of offense will put you up on Initial Warning.

In St. Jean, however, they have a system of "Conduct" warnings before you get to the PRB stage.

Based on what I have seen, then, there is no universal standard as to whether chits are/are not to be used, as I have seen 2 different schools use 2 different systems. Perhaps there is a grown up lurking around here who can answer with official-ness.

The chit system is not being used as part of the warning system at the moment, at least not in the Battle School in Toronto.  Instead of chits we use Counselling, Initial Warnings, Formal Warning and then to the PRB.

I would have to agree with Juvat

All assessments of students is as per the assessment guidelines laid out in the Training Plan (TP), which is generally chapter 3. 

The student progresses through the stages of counselling, initial warning and final warning.  Stages may be skipped for significant shortcomings.

What was formerly actioned by a chit, such as having dirty boots, should be recorded as "counselling".

None of the 40+ TPs I have read lately has anything in it about chits, therefore I suggest they are obsolete and anyone using them needs to pull their head out of their anal orifice and wake up to the twenty-first century.

D

I'd love to agree with you there Standards, but my Course Staff suggest otherwise.....lol

Caleix

Back