• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suspicious package at NDHQ detonated by police

"The scans revealed dense material that could have been explosives, according to Ottawa police Insp. Michael Maloney, as well as something that looked like it could have been a power source.

The scans also showed wires that could have connected the other materials."

Bagels with cream cheese, an Ipod and earbuds  ;D

recceguy said:
Bagels with cream cheese, an Ipod and earbuds  ;D
But it was wrapped in tinfoil and blocked the x-ray ;) It could have been something much more sinister, like a falafel.

Let us not also forget this Ottawa Cold Case:

Victim: Ms. Jeanne St. Germain
Date Reported: June 1970
Location: National Defence Headquarters, Laurier Street West, Ottawa

Ms. St. Germain, a Civilian employee of the Department of National Defence was working in a Communications office in the National Defence Headquarters located in the basement level of a building on Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, Ontario. Persons unknown placed an explosive device on the ground outside the window of the office of her office. On detonation the bomb destroyed the communications centre killing Ms. St. Germain.

The original investigation was conducted by the Ottawa Police in conjunction with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

MC

Some poor staff officer Major hears about this on the radio on the drive home, eyes widen considerably when he looks to the passenger seat of his car, seeing the empty space where his MEC daypack usually sits after a hard day at work, then detours to Futureshop to buy his wife a new iPhone to replace the one he borrowed that morning....and forever will he live with this secret......

To do list:

Pick up block of modeling clay for Wife's Sculpture class

Pick up replacement 9V battery for smoke detector

Get travel alarm back from Jack

Look for set of ear buds for kid's ipod.

Just a normal day in the neighborhood. :nod:

I once ran an op where we cordoned and cleared a suspect IED in a suitcase and blew up some guy's luggage. Inside was a full on, massive, alarm clock complete with two big shiny bells on top. He said he needed it to wake up when he was on the road. Seriously.

George Wallace said:
The thing is, within a few months, it will all be forgotten and we will once again adopt a more  relaxed security environment.  This is not new.  Terrorists have been bombing public and government locations for over sixty years now.  How paranoid must a society and its security forces get to prevent something like this when there is absolutely no security measures in place?

I have been on vacation for about a week and didn't even know this happened and wouldn't have if I didn't check out the forum. I think in the public eye, it has already been forgotten.

In regards to no security measures in place... it's impossible to be 100% bombproof. I think our counter-terrorism policies have been fairly successful in Canada in light of the thwarting of an alleged terror plot to derail the VIA rail train just last month not to mention the Toronto 18 in 2006.

The introduction of tighter security measures are good if there are no underlying infringements to civil liberties (maybe with some careful provisions). The problem is how far do you go to make things "secure" before it undermines our fundamental rights and freedom?

Very seldom do you hear about the successes in the "anti-terrorist" job of LEO and other organizations.

George Wallace said:
Very seldom do you hear about the successes in the "anti-terrorist" job of LEO and other organizations.

This is very true you never hear of or very rarely here about the successes. Even in Afghanistan you never here about the amount of IED's found and safely taken care of and the lives that were saved because of that.

I was sitting in a cab approaching Elgin just arriving on TD.  Stuck in traffic, then heard a boom.  I just assumed it was the sound of morale in Ottawa hitting bottom......  :(

Me and the Mrs. were on a ferry last week when the Pursers office announced "Whoever left the flowers in the front observation area needs to pick them up" As we were sitting in said observation area we exchanged a look and as we were getting ready to get up and move farther back on the boat a very harried woman ran up and claimed the flowers (fully wrapped and taped) from one of the staff.
We figured better safe than sorry.....
Paranoid? No. Been outside of Canada and seen the real world? Yes.

Back