• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suspicious package at NDHQ detonated by police

ARMY_101

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Police+detonate+suspicious+package+Defence+reopen+Mackenzie+King+Bridge/8350620/story.html#ixzz2SetsNSUu

OTTAWA — The Ottawa police Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and Explosives team detonated a suspicious package Tuesday evening near the Department of Defence Headquarters on Colonel By Drive.

Police had closed the Mackenzie King Bridge for hours after receiving the call at 3:30 p.m. about a suspicious package at 101 Colonel By Dr.

It was reopened just after 8 p.m. Tuesday after it was closed for hours in both directions for the investigation.

By 5 p.m. the CBRNE team was on scene to assist with the investigation and police had conducted a “render safe” operation, which means they detonated the suspicious package to make it safe for investigation.Throughout rush hour, Police had asked all motorists and pedestrians to stay away from the area and OC Transpo users were experiencing up to 40-minute delays, with detours on many routes.

RCMP took over the investigation since the event involved a federal building.

Friend was complaining the traffic snarl kept her from making it to the gym. I was hoping the suspicious package was a gym bag.

Nemo888 said:
Friend was complaining the traffic snarl kept her from making it to the gym. I was hoping the suspicious package was a gym bag.

Is it "suspicious" to see a gym bag in the vicinity of NDHQ???  ;D

Personally, I think it was common sense.  No one at NDHQ could recognize it, but they knew it was a threat to their way of doing things.

Forgive my ignorance as I am not sure about capabilities or policies, but doesn't the CF has resources that they themselves have to deal with this kind of stuff. Such as EOD, JNBCN (?), and MP's.

Inspir said:
Forgive my ignorance as I am not sure about capabilities or policies, but doesn't the CF has resources that they themselves have to deal with this kind of stuff. Such as EOD, JNBCN (?), and MP's.

The CF does not do IEDD outside of defence establishments in Canada anymore. I could be wrong, but outside 101 is not considered a DND establishment. DAOD 8000-1 sums it up pretty nicely.

On another note, and I know I am being nitpicky, but disrupting something does not constitute a "detonation".  :facepalm: What's next, gunfire in the woods during hunting season being labeled as "detonations" by the media?  ;D For those who are interested, the tool most likely used in this to disrupt the suspicious item would be no louder than a 12 gauge shotgun being fired...

Inspir said:

Commissionaires? Do they count?  >:D

Inspir said:
We do; however, its not our role to conduct these duties within Canada, by and large. 

Technoviking said:
We do; however, its not our role to conduct these duties within Canada, by and large.
I had a ringside seat (better, actually) watching the Borden EOD guys at work the Barrie Armoury back in '05. 

jpjohnsn said:
I had a ringside seat (better, actually) watching the Borden EOD guys at work the Barrie Armoury back in '05.
Ugh... bringing back some horrible memories. 
-"It's just a box of trg claymores, here I'll show you."
-"STOP!  You have no idea what could be in that box!"
-"No, seriously, it's blue training claymores, I swear."

Doors blown off hinges and thousands of dollars later the hallway got a renovation.  Good times... not!

CBC reports:  Package at Defence HQ had elements consistent with IEDs
Police confirm package had what appeared to be an electronic trigger, timing device

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2013/05/08/ottawa-suspicious-package-national-defence-improvised-explosive.html

Must have been someone intimate with the workings of NDHQ because we all know no one is there after 15:00. I also wonder if they will request danger pay now.  ;D

How is it that the CBC is the only one on TV covering this?  Nothing on CTV, Global or SunTV yet.

About 3 - 4 years ago I was heading into the office and I saw this unattended backpack perched on one of the concrete pedestals by the front entrance. Being the paranoid guy I am, I went up to the commissionaires and informed them of said backpack.

Anyway, I guess somebody checked it out and dealt with it and it never made anyone's radar.

More from the Ottawa Citizen:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Package+found+contained+materials+consistent+with/8355159/story.html

Wonder if it was a training aid that someone forgot about?

NFLD Sapper said:
Wonder if it was a training aid that someone forgot about?

Not impossible, but highly unlikely anyone would be conducting any training in NDHQ requiring training IEDs. Without seeing any official reporting out yet, and taking into account some of the tidbits in the articles, my spidey sense is telling me it might have been deliberately placed to check reaction times and TTPs - AKA a hoax.

I imagine further details will be released in the near future.

To be honest I'm shocked this hasn't happened before.  NDHQ is possible the worst located high profile building in the city.

Without getting ahead, the recent Boston bombing shows just how easy this sort of thing can be pulled off.

Crantor said:
To be honest I'm shocked this hasn't happened before.  NDHQ is possible the worst located high profile building in the city.

Without getting ahead, the recent Boston bombing shows just how easy this sort of thing can be pulled off.

The thing is, within a few months, it will all be forgotten and we will once again adopt a more  relaxed security environment.  This is not new.  Terrorists have been bombing public and government locations for over sixty years now.  How paranoid must a society and its security forces get to prevent something like this when there is absolutely no security measures in place?

Back