• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supporting the Troops Stories

big bad john

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=5c065491-b4f5-4316-99e9-ef56efaa0853&k=39748

Soldiers treated to coffee, doughnuts

Ethan Baron
CanWest News Service; Vancouver Province

Monday, October 02, 2006

VANCOUVER - Canada's soldiers in Afghanistan are enjoying their Tim Hortons coffee even more than usual, thanks to a Penticton couple who have a son serving at the Kandahar military base.

''We were sitting on the balcony one day and saying, 'What should we send him as a care package?' '' Lorraine Williams, 63, said Sunday.

They decided to send $50 in gift certificates to their son, Cpl. Darren Williams, 38, to use at the Tim Hortons outlet at the base.

When Lorraine's husband Phil, 67, went to the Penticton outlet to buy the certificates, the manager offered to match the certificates.

''All of a sudden we had $100, and that's way too many certificates for just one guy,'' Lorraine said.

That's when the pair decided to aim higher, and Operation Timmies was born.

Phil phoned some businesspeople. ''Within two hours we had more than $600,'' Lorraine said.

Word spread, and more money came in. They bought and sent to Afghanistan 150 certificates for $5 each, which their son distributed to soldiers.

''We wanted to make sure that some of them go to the hospital, and to the troops coming in off the field,'' Lorraine said. ''We've had wonderful e-mails from the soldiers.''

One such message came from a man who had been hospitalized at the base in Kandahar.

''I was one of the wounded in the friendly fire,'' the soldier wrote. ''I just wanted to say thank-you for the Tim Hortons certificates. It really means a lot to us over here that we have people back home that would take time out of their life just to do something for us. It's a big morale booster.''

Another soldier wrote: ''Thank-you from the bottom of my heart, not only because I need the coffee in the morning, but because it is such a great feeling that the communities of Canada are behind us.''

On Sept. 23, the couple organized a hot-dog sale, with donations from local businesses, and raised another $2,100 for certificates to send to the troops.

They had local people sign a book that they'll send to the base.

''Thanks for all your hard work in very adverse conditions,'' one person wrote.

Another wrote: ''You are in my daily prayers. Come home safely, and thanks for giving hope in such a troubled world.''

Great to hear.  And equally great that the men and women overseas take the time to let Canada know that their gifts of generosity are so dearly appreciated.

I'd be interested to hear more of these initiatives.

EDIT :-[

Quag said:
I'd be interested to hear more of these initiatives.

Supposedly a box of my knitting is off to the troops, another lady mailed out something like 50 soap bags with soap, and I hope to have anothe platoonful of wash cloths headed to A-stan after Thanksgiving weekend. One of the posters on my hockey board is in the navy so I'm making little mini stockings for the crew on his vessel.

I'd like to crank out more but we just bought a house and I'm spending all my time on that these days.

Back