• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Summer 2024: Rioting across UK cities

Can you provide some specifics about numbers arrested/convicted/sentenced?
No as I am lazy and not willing to go through all that work.
As for the "silent prayer", are you referring to this case?

I tried to find, but was unsuccessful, the written judgement of not guilty to see how the judge came to that conclusion. There may be some explanation as to why there was a difference of interpretation by the police. Anyway, an apology and £13,000 was given to her.
That was one. There is also another that was a man praying for a son that was aborted. Don't recall what happened to him.
As to arrests for "posting your thoughts", can you direct me to any examples of pers being arrested and charged for this. Of the two most prominent in the news and who pleaded guilty, a quick review of their sentencing remarks would indicate they did more than "think all immigrants be deported".

Rex v. Tyler Kay

Rex v. Jordan Parlour
"Post that your thought is that all illegal immigrants should be deported and you could face jail"
Is a general thought which is why I used the word could. Looking quickly online just now I found these. There are a lot more posts that I didn't look at. The government is losing heavily on this front and needs to rethink their strategy.

This man reposted a meme someone else had posted and supposedly a complaint was filed. Noted this in the article “Someone has been caused anxiety based on your social media post. And that is why you’re being arrested.”

This one Criticized a flag

Of course there is the other side of the coin, posting pro-hamas

The big issue is that these people are all tracked down and arrested for various thoughts posted online while many people are seen on the street with weapons and no police intervention. As I mentioned prior in basic terms - the government and media have not done a very good job of answering to any of this. Now there are posts showing that convicted criminals are to be released early as the prisons are overcrowded and they need the room for all the social media posters that are being charged which so far I haven't seen the government counter.

Naturally there are some people that should be charged for being too extreme but some are also questionable and the people in charge should really take a harder look before taking action.

I'm glad facts come out and show who the far-rightists who believe in misinformation, xenophobes, and misinformation spreaders are, including on this website:

I'm glad facts come out and show who the far-rightists who believe in misinformation, xenophobes, and misinformation spreaders are, including on this website:
No one is forcing you to be here, and if you'd like to make more uncalled for generalizations and personal attacks on forum members we can arrange a break.

- Milnet.ca Staff

No as I am lazy and not willing to go through all that work.

That was one. There is also another that was a man praying for a son that was aborted. Don't recall what happened to him.

"Post that your thought is that all illegal immigrants should be deported and you could face jail"
Is a general thought which is why I used the word could. Looking quickly online just now I found these. There are a lot more posts that I didn't look at. The government is losing heavily on this front and needs to rethink their strategy.

This man reposted a meme someone else had posted and supposedly a complaint was filed. Noted this in the article “Someone has been caused anxiety based on your social media post. And that is why you’re being arrested.”

This one Criticized a flag

Of course there is the other side of the coin, posting pro-hamas

The big issue is that these people are all tracked down and arrested for various thoughts posted online while many people are seen on the street with weapons and no police intervention. As I mentioned prior in basic terms - the government and media have not done a very good job of answering to any of this. Now there are posts showing that convicted criminals are to be released early as the prisons are overcrowded and they need the room for all the social media posters that are being charged which so far I haven't seen the government counter.

Naturally there are some people that should be charged for being too extreme but some are also questionable and the people in charge should really take a harder look before taking action.
I agree with you CountDC, on all of this...

As for the part about already incarcerated prisoners being released from prison early to make room for the social media posters...this does seem like the worst possible option they could have gone with.

Releasing people who violated their actual criminal code & victimized people, so they can make room for the average Joe who reposted a tweet, is absurd. Completely f**king absurd.

It's insulting to people who were actual victims of actual crimes. It's insulting to all service personnel, both current & former, who put themselves in harms way to keep the UK a free country that offered a great life.

And I'd argue it's insulting to the individual police members themselves, some of whom worked long hours to apprehend some genuine scumbags...only to watch them be released to make room for their neighbour, and citizens who generally abide by the laws.

It seems short sighted. It seems stupid. It seems absurd. Because it is.

To turn a blind eye to the mass of violent crime & violent mobs comprised of violent illegal immigrants - AND THEN RELEASE CONVICTED CRIMINALS INTO THE MIX - and then seemingly turn your attention to people who reposted a tweet or expressed their frustration via an online comment...to do the above seems like the very worst decision the powers at be could have made.

*This is not accidental. This isn't the result of a knee jerk reaction to restore order, where the decision will be revisited once order is restored and a sense of calm has again come over the country...

This WAS a very deliberate response to a situation which was bound to happen sooner or later.

It wasn't very long ago that the UK passed its own Online Harms Bill, which outlawed "comments which may offend someone" (which is so f**king broad it could easily include any comments made in almost any reasonable situation...)

For the courts to be available for people to be arrested, plead guilty, and then be sentenced all within the span of a few days I'm thinking means they magically opened up an extra courtroom in each city & had the staff to operate them, or made some changes in anticipation of unrest.

The scariest part is we don't hear much from judges, or local politicians, denouncing the heavy hand of tyranny (I refuse to call what's happening there 'justice') or urging for a more reasonable approach. I don't hear judges or lawyers advocating for the average person, or any sort of announcement that the heavy handed approach will only last as long as there are mobs of angry people on the streets...

That lack of reassurance that life can go back to normal once the chaos on the streets has simmered down is leaving a lot of people wondering if this is the new normal.

A calming voice, reassuring the citizenry that they still have the right to free speech, and urging of cooler heads on all sides, is notably absent...

But how do they reassure people that life will return to normal, when judges are handing out lengthy prison sentences within days of someone being arrested?

Shouldn't judges be trying to encourage both sides to obey the law, while also encouraging the police to be reasonable in their actions & afford people dgveurvue process? I haven't even heard the term 'due process' mentioned in all of this, have any of you?

The powers at be have, in fact, instead threatened to have people in other countries charged under their laws & swiftly sent to the UK to face 'justice'. They are attempting to create agreements with jurisdictions to allow someone to be arrested & held at a local jail or prison, to steamline things even further.

Justice can't prevail when one's outcome has already been decided. And a society cannot call itself a just society if the voices of its citizens can be silenced for the mere crime of saying something "which may be deemed to offend somebody..."

(If someone says a judge's sentencing decision is "absolutely ridiculous!" or "the dumbest example of an out of control legal situation..." OR says that "they feel a judge is corrupt or incompetent..." does that mean they get arrested for saying such a thing, because it could have potentially offended the judge?)

Where does this tyrannical nonsense end?

2 months ago, the idea of being arrested in your home & sentenced to prison only a few days later for reposting something online would have been laughable. And yet look at where people in the UK are finding themselves today...

Power hungry governments rarely return people's rights once they have been taken away. Or they'll play the long game & take away 100 of your rights only to return 99 of them, and a decade or generation later they'll do the same again.

With all of the lawyers, judges, senior police officials, etc all able to offer reasonable advice to the government upon request - the fact that their government has chosen to go down the path it has leads me to believe that this was quite the deliberate choice, rather than a knee jerk reaction

I agree with you CountDC, on all of this...

As for the part about already incarcerated prisoners being released from prison early to make room for the social media posters...this does seem like the worst possible option they could have gone with.

Releasing people who violated their actual criminal code & victimized people, so they can make room for the average Joe who reposted a tweet, is absurd. Completely f**king absurd.

It's insulting to people who were actual victims of actual crimes. It's insulting to all service personnel, both current & former, who put themselves in harms way to keep the UK a free country that offered a great life.

And I'd argue it's insulting to the individual police members themselves, some of whom worked long hours to apprehend some genuine scumbags...only to watch them be released to make room for their neighbour, and citizens who generally abide by the laws.

It seems short sighted. It seems stupid. It seems absurd. Because it is.

To turn a blind eye to the mass of violent crime & violent mobs comprised of violent illegal immigrants - AND THEN RELEASE CONVICTED CRIMINALS INTO THE MIX - and then seemingly turn your attention to people who reposted a tweet or expressed their frustration via an online comment...to do the above seems like the very worst decision the powers at be could have made.

*This is not accidental. This isn't the result of a knee jerk reaction to restore order, where the decision will be revisited once order is restored and a sense of calm has again come over the country...

This WAS a very deliberate response to a situation which was bound to happen sooner or later.

It wasn't very long ago that the UK passed its own Online Harms Bill, which outlawed "comments which may offend someone" (which is so f**king broad it could easily include any comments made in almost any reasonable situation...)

For the courts to be available for people to be arrested, plead guilty, and then be sentenced all within the span of a few days I'm thinking means they magically opened up an extra courtroom in each city & had the staff to operate them, or made some changes in anticipation of unrest.

The scariest part is we don't hear much from judges, or local politicians, denouncing the heavy hand of tyranny (I refuse to call what's happening there 'justice') or urging for a more reasonable approach. I don't hear judges or lawyers advocating for the average person, or any sort of announcement that the heavy handed approach will only last as long as there are mobs of angry people on the streets...

That lack of reassurance that life can go back to normal once the chaos on the streets has simmered down is leaving a lot of people wondering if this is the new normal.

A calming voice, reassuring the citizenry that they still have the right to free speech, and urging of cooler heads on all sides, is notably absent...

But how do they reassure people that life will return to normal, when judges are handing out lengthy prison sentences within days of someone being arrested?

Shouldn't judges be trying to encourage both sides to obey the law, while also encouraging the police to be reasonable in their actions & afford people dgveurvue process? I haven't even heard the term 'due process' mentioned in all of this, have any of you?

The powers at be have, in fact, instead threatened to have people in other countries charged under their laws & swiftly sent to the UK to face 'justice'. They are attempting to create agreements with jurisdictions to allow someone to be arrested & held at a local jail or prison, to steamline things even further.

Justice can't prevail when one's outcome has already been decided. And a society cannot call itself a just society if the voices of its citizens can be silenced for the mere crime of saying something "which may be deemed to offend somebody..."

(If someone says a judge's sentencing decision is "absolutely ridiculous!" or "the dumbest example of an out of control legal situation..." OR says that "they feel a judge is corrupt or incompetent..." does that mean they get arrested for saying such a thing, because it could have potentially offended the judge?)

Where does this tyrannical nonsense end?

2 months ago, the idea of being arrested in your home & sentenced to prison only a few days later for reposting something online would have been laughable. And yet look at where people in the UK are finding themselves today...

Power hungry governments rarely return people's rights once they have been taken away. Or they'll play the long game & take away 100 of your rights only to return 99 of them, and a decade or generation later they'll do the same again.

With all of the lawyers, judges, senior police officials, etc all able to offer reasonable advice to the government upon request - the fact that their government has chosen to go down the path it has leads me to believe that this was quite the deliberate choice, rather than a knee jerk reaction
Can we just clear the air right now and stop suggesting that the “violent illegals” caused this, and therefore the retaliation was justified?

That talk just plays into the misinformation and disinformation tactics.

Can we just clear the air right now and stop suggesting that the “violent illegals” caused this, and therefore the retaliation was justified?

That talk just plays into the misinformation and disinformation tactics.
Absolutely. That wasn't the gist of my post.

The main point I'm trying to focus on is the government's handling of the situation - not whether it was violent illegals or a pissed off citizenry that's caused this.

The actual cause of the problem is the perception that the government is ignoring the concerns of its citizens, and supporting a 2-tier policing model, while making decisions that seem to consistently go against the wishes of the citizens...

Thats the bigger underlying problem the government seems to be oblivious to, and what is the real cause behind the problem.

The murder of those 3 girls was the spark in a tinderbox that was going to ignite eventually anyway...

(I think you assumed I was referring to violent illegal migrants when I said the government was ignoring the real problem - that was an assumption on your part)

I think Britian has been moving this way for awhile. You can't swing a cat without being picked up on CCTV and run through recognition software. This is just an extention of that surveillance. We're all becoming Sam Lowry in Brazil.

Absolutely. That wasn't the gist of my post.

The main point I'm trying to focus on is the government's handling of the situation - not whether it was violent illegals or a pissed off citizenry that's caused this.

The actual cause of the problem is the perception that the government is ignoring the concerns of its citizens, and supporting a 2-tier policing model, while making decisions that seem to consistently go against the wishes of the citizens...

Thats the bigger underlying problem the government seems to be oblivious to, and what is the real cause behind the problem.

The murder of those 3 girls was the spark in a tinderbox that was going to ignite eventually anyway...

(I think you assumed I was referring to violent illegal migrants when I said the government was ignoring the real problem - that was an assumption on your part)
This is it - regardless of what is happening the world does see every day a large number of posts slamming the government for a large number of arrests and actions against its citizens for what appears to be simple things while apparently armed immigrants roam around with no action taken. There are even clips showing police running away, one clip where a man taken into custody is attacked by the mob and left undefended by the arresting officers, man charged for shouting something along the line of "you are not British anymore" at the police and communities having housing built for immigrants that outnumber the locals. The government reaction appears to be to go after the posters and jail them instead of acknowledging the issues and concerns then working on a solution.

Ultimately as stated above -

A not so subtle message of what the UK's neighbours think of recent events...

I bet there was a RN liaison Officer on board at the time ;)

A not so subtle message of what the UK's neighbours think of recent events...
Having been on many, many ships before, I can about guarantee there is no deeper message here than “some smart-assed subbie was allowed to pick the music, without supervision”…

Having been on many, many ships before, I can about guarantee there is no deeper message here than “some smart-assed subbie was allowed to pick the music, without supervision”…
And how appropriate his choice was... (If nothing else his sense of humour is on point)

I want a ship from MARLANT to play the same Leonard Cohen song entering NYC and Berlin.

And how appropriate his choice was... (If nothing else his sense of humour is on point)
It probably was not a good choice.

I watched a RAS with a USN ship go horribly wrong once because a CO did not care to understand the lyrics “I’m on a Boat” song. Google it and you will understand.

Since he had set up a culture whereby questioning him got you bollocked, the 2OOW dutifully said “are you sure, Sir?” and once the snark looked like it was going to come spewing out of the CO’s mouth, quickly thought better of it and played it over upper deck broadcast.

The USN is pretty straight-laced, so…

It probably was not a good choice.

I watched a RAS with a USN ship go horribly wrong once because a CO did not care to understand the lyrics “I’m on a Boat” song. Google it and you will understand.

Since he had set up a culture whereby questioning him got you bollocked, the 2OOW dutifully said “are you sure, Sir?” and once the snark looked like it was going to come spewing out of the CO’s mouth, quickly thought better of it and played it over upper deck broadcast.

The USN is pretty straight-laced, so…
I may have performed that at karaoke some number of times… I can see how that might go awry.

Back