• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Summer 2024: Rioting across UK cities

"Death to the X" has been commonplace rhetoric for millennia. Neither it nor anything like it ought be criminalized.
How about burning down hotels, or river-to-sea statements, though?

A lot depends on context and, at least from what I understand in Canada, specificity, so that's why I'm worried about blanket criminalization. too.
... I've started this by saying "right-wingers" because that's what is occupying the streets in the UK at this time. It seems only proper and fair that the same standards be applied to the left-wingers or religious zealots who make the same calls for violence on social media or even ones who deface works of historic art or impedes the right of way of the public on highways, railroads or public facilities. The rights of a society to function peacefully and undisturbed should be paramount ...
(y)
... A government that ignores one faction over another based on cultural, religious or racial grounds is failing its own society. The solution for such a government, or its security forces is to vote them out of office, not to take to the streets.
That bit in yellow seems to be the source of frustration in a lot of different issues/protests :(

I don't think anyone is justified in resorting to violence or promoting violence - I also don't think the current UK government has any authority to criminalize quite legitimate criticism of itself.

Can you cite any examples where the criminality is actually alleged to be simple legitimate criticism of the government, versus incitement, promotion, or counselling of violence or hatred? Because you’re making one hell of a claim here.

How about burning down hotels, or river-to-sea statements, though?

A lot depends on context and, at least from what I understand in Canada, specificity, so that's why I'm worried about blanket criminalization. too.

(y)

That bit in yellow seems to be the source of frustration in a lot of different issues/protests :(
Specificity is important. "Death to that guy there" is specific.

For a long while intemperate expressions were tolerated and mostly emanated from progressive anti-establishment activists. Over the past decade-and-a-half people perceived as being conservative have increasingly adopted the same tone and techniques against what is now a substantially more progressive establishment, and the latter has come over all "Wait, wait, wait!"

I continue to maintain that the real practical danger of creeping authoritarianism lies with threatened progressive establishments, not threatened conservative ones.

They aren't poor refugee families crossing into the UK fearing for their lives. They are mostly single men, aged 20-35. Islamic countries don’t have to fight wars against the west, they just need to replace the people there through mass invasion immigration. The UK of the 60s is gone. Poland seems to be the only country in Europe still able to maintain their culture and identity, you can only do that if you keep your borders secure.
Couldn't agree more with everything you've said here.

I'd also suggest Hungary is right up there with Poland.

And Russia, albeit to a slightly lesser degree, but I don't see Russia bending over backwards to accommodate foreign cultures to the point of allowing themselves to be assimilated.

In fact after the Moscow terror attacks (at the theatre) I remember a long, long line of non-white men of military age standing in a very long line at the airport, awaiting deportation...

Back