• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suicide bomb kills two Canadian troops, civilian in Kandahar - 27 Nov 2006

I knew Mr. Girouard as CQ for J Coy 2RCR back in the mid-nineites. Exceptional, outstanding Soldier; You shall be missed Sir, thank you & Rest In Peace.

:cdn: Pro Patria  :cdn:  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:

An extremly good article:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2006/12/06/girouard-funeral-061206.html

"First RSM killed by enemy action in 123 years"

Good read. A great man.

We will remember them!

:'(
Great letter,
"there is no greater glory than when a man sacrifices his life for his comrades"
I forget who said this qoute, or even if I have it right, but it seems fitting. 
:cdn:
:salute:

BZ!

The widow of a CF member enrols in the CF
Corporal Julie Turcotte, CF Army News Project #08-0360, 16 Jun 08\
Article link

SAINT-JEAN-SUR-RICHELIEU (Québec) — Chief Warrant Officer Robert Girouard lost his life on 27 November 2006 in an attack by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan. He was serving at the time as Regimental Sergeant Major of 1 Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group.

He left behind a widow and three children who share his passion for the Canadian Forces.

Despite her 46 years, Jackie Girouard has taken up the challenge. She has enrolled and completed her basic military qualification (BMQ) course. One of her sons is currently in Afghanistan, and another will probably go there some day as a pilot. Her daughter has married a CF member who is to be deployed this summer.

On 22 May, Pte Girouard and the other privates attending the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruits School completed the second stage of their BMQ at Saint-Jean Garrison.

A film team followed Pte Girouard over the final weeks of her course, with all the stress of the interviews and the presence of the cameras. The couple’s children and the former friends and colleagues of the dead soldier were also interviewed. 

The contribution of CWO Girouard was such that the decision was made to turn his experiences into a documentary. 

“I never got to know CWO Girouard), but I have met a number of people who knew him during his lifetime, and he seems to have been an exceptional human being,” declared the producer, John Kerr.   

General Rick Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS), whose mandate ends in July, was there in his role of parade ground reviewing officer.

“I knew CWO Girouard as the Regimental Sergeant Major, but I also met him prior to that when he was still a warrant officer,” noted General Hillier.

“I had the good fortune to meet him at extremely significant times, for example, in the theatre when I went to visit the troops before he was killed. And I got to know the rest of the family in Trenton. The strength shown by this family certainly made an impression on me.”

Photo by Corporal Jasper Schwartz:  Private Jackie Girouard and her son are pictured here in the company of the Chief of the Defence Staff, General Rick Hillier.

Good lord!  Will ya look at what the cat dragged in :)

BZ to Pte Girard on her accomplishment.  Her decision to go off the deep end and join the forces is outstanding

Well Done!! Keep up the good work!

I wouldn't want to do a BMQ at 26, never mind 46.

Good for her!  That is an impressive accomplishment, I can't say that I would like to go through the mill again at this age. BZ

Jackie, is an outstanding lady.  I had the privilege of knowing her and her husband when I was posted to Meaford 01 - 04. 

Well done, Jackie and we are all proud of you.

Hmmm... this is going to be a DHH challenge.
What is the precedence for a Widow's Memorial cross ???

Wow!  I can imagine there were a few tears of pride on that day by her kids!

So...mom has to salute son.  ;D  Cute!

BZ to Pte Girourd and her entire family.  Certainly dedication runs deep in that family.    :salute:
:cdn:

BZ Pte Girouard, your dedication is an inspiration to us all.

Perhaps related, Does anyone know what trade she chose?

What is the precedence for a Widow's Memorial cross
Wouldn't be the first time someone was on a CFLRS grad parade with a Memorial Cross on their DEU. One candidate on my BOTP course a year ago was the widow of a fallen soldier, and she had a good compliment of medals from her NCM days. I can't say I remember what the precedence was, but I'll ask around at work tomorrow, we just got the new DHH booklet the other day. If all else fails, I'll look her up on the DIN and send her an email.

In Pte Girouard's case, it's the only decoration she's got for now, so it's no concern.

geo said:
Hmmm... this is going to be a DHH challenge.
What is the precedence for a Widow's Memorial cross ???

There was a message cut quite a while ago denoting where the Memorial Cross would be worn on the DEU. Pte Girouard's certainly isn't precedent setting; we've quite a few widows wearing them who also serve in the CF. And there's also some dependants of deceased members who serve in the CF and are wearing them due to their being one of the "three" designees.

I'll fish through my archives at work to see if I can pull it up -- but hers (Pte Girouard's) is being worn correctly & IAW authority to do so from that previous message - it's no DHH challenge at all.

And, good on Jackie -- she's awesome. Nice to see her with that big smile on her face again.  :)

I can't seem to find the message in my huge filings right now ...

But, here's the link to the DND2105 Memorial Cross Form for those of you who have not yet filled it out as required.

And, here's a link to the CF Dress Powerpoint which shows the proper placement onto Uniform of the Memorial Cross for those members so entitled to wear.

Memorial Cross Form

Memorial Cross placement for CF uniforms

and I thought military families just mean father and son, good for Pte Girouard and her entire family, it's families like this that make canada safe and free, in the past, present and future :warstory: :salute: :cdn:

Reviving the closest necrothread I could find with this news release from the Royal Canadian Legion:
The Royal Canadian Legion has selected the 2010/2011 Memorial (Silver) Cross Mother.  She is Mrs. Mabel Girouard of Bathurst, New Brunswick. She will serve in this position until the end of October 2011. Mrs. Girouard will lay a wreath at the National Remembrance Ceremony at the National War Memorial on 11 November on behalf of all the mothers of Canada who have lost children in Canada’s military.

She is the mother of Chief Warrant Officer Robert Michael Girouard, former Regimental Sergeant Major of the First Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa, Ontario. He was killed when a suicide bomber drove his car into a convoy of military vehicles in Kandahar, Afghanistan, on 27 November, 2006.  He was awarded the Meritorious Service Cross posthumously ....

Back