• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suicide bomb kills two Canadian troops, civilian in Kandahar - 27 Nov 2006

Christie Blatchford of the Globe and Mail here.
I'm trying to pull together a story for tomorrow's paper about RSM Girourd and also explore the unique relationship between RSM and CO. As a dopey civilian, I had little idea myself about how special the relationship can be until I spent four days recently with CO Hope and his RSM Northrup in Landstuhl. I think the public should know how special RSMs are, but would like some help from those of you who know this far better than I do, if anyone's willing.
Cheers and thanks,
CB

Welcome - you have a lot of fans here!

The picture of the RSM is the disciplinarian - Monty Python's "Sergeant Major, Marching Up & Down the Square" routine - has an element of truth to it (many people here will likely share stories about how scared sh**less by one RSM or another in their past), but it paints only a partial picture of what the Regimental Sergeant Major does and is.

Part of the RSM's job is being the repository of a regiment's or battalion's institutional memory - how things are done, why, traditions, culture, unit/family ethos.  Not only does the RSM provide advice and guidance on these issues to the Commanding Officer, he is the example, the beacon, the go-to person for the other non-commissioned officers (NCO's) of the unit.  As cliche as it sounds, he sets (and enforces) the standard for the entire unit.

One run-in I had with my own RSM many years ago - I was a junior NCO, and I was taking my troops for a run through the streets, and leading them in singing not-too-polite songs.  Well, the RSM called me into his office, and after a bit of a rant, asked me, "What would your mother think about you using this kind of language with your troops?"  Not only was I scared from the rant, the nugget I took away was that he cared about the standards, but he also loved, like a father, both the troops and those leading them, wanting what's best for both.

Hope this gets things rolling for you....

Hi Mrs Blatchford,

I'M a civy, so can't comment on RSM, but I'm taking the opportunity to tell you
that I really like the articles that you're writing, which I was introduced to from
this website.

Édith: If I ever buy the Globe & Mail (which I see rarely in Montreal), it will
be because you're in it, and I saw some of your articles here...

HoM: on her profile Mrs. Blatchford give her work email, if she doesn't PM you...

Mrs Blatchford,

Please PM me I would love to answer your questions.

The RSM or as I like to refer to them "The Right Hand of God" with God being the CO of a unit, are a very critical part of any unit. I have had a few encounters with RSM's and learned a lot from some truly great men who exuded a quite confidence at all times. I had one RSM come running over to me during a field ex just about knocking people over to stop me from drinking some water which hadn't been marked properly....the water had made a few folks ill and the medics hadn't been past to quarentine the water buffalo (trailer). A small gesture but it saved me a lot of grief.

The RSM's I have served with also kept this junior officer from making a complete ass of himself during parades and in dealing with the troops in my platoon. Any officer who does not heed their advice is most certainly doomed to a rougher start in any unit or battalion they come into. These are the guys who have been there and done that as can be understood by taking a look at RSM Girourd's resume and experience.

Ms Blatchford: Let me start by telling you how much I enjoy your writing. Regarding the relationship between a Commanding Officer and the Regimental Sergeant Major, well, in my experience if the CO is the brains of the organization, the RSM is the soul. The RSM is guardian of the unit's heritage and traditions, advocate for the soldiers interests, trainer of senior NCOs, counsellor to junior (and sometimes not-so-junior) officers  and trusted advisor to the Commanding Officer. While officers normally move in and out of the unit throughout their careers, the RSM typically will have spent most of their career with the unit, and will have an intimate understanding of how the unit works, its strengths and weaknesses, and the qualities of the soldiers. As a senior officer, I would often consult with the RSM to get a "sanity check" to make sure what I was doing was in the best interests of the regiment.  As a wise old Colonel once told me, "I have never quite figured out exactly what it is the RSM does, but all I know is that this regiment runs a whole lot better when he is here than when he isn't". I didn't know Mister Girouard but if he had reached the position of RSM of an infantry battalion, then he was an outstanding soldier. I grieve his loss.

RSMs are a key link between the troops and the CO.

As a SGT, I find my relationship with my current RSM deals alot of mentorship. With SGT MAJ, WO and SGTs, the RSM will do alot to develop, guide and enforce units standards.

In turn, the SGT and WOs enforce the training and development of the junior ranks.

The RSM will routinely advise the CO on numerous situations.

The RSM has the privilege of answering only to the CO as well. This ultimately works well for the troops.

IN RSM Girouard case, I knew him as DSM and Command Standards Rep at Meaford. He was a hard chargin soldier that didn't tolerate any BS. He was a soldier's soldier. I feel bad that I can not re-pay him that beer I owe him. Last time I saw him he had bought me a beer in the SGT and WOs mess. RIP, sir.

You might also want to look at the relationship between the RSM and his/her troops. While the relationship between the RSM and CO is extremely important for the proper functioning of the unit, his/her relationship with their men/women is normally the earmark of a good or great RSM.

An old Sgt of mine always told me that the RSM is your father if you ever you need one. Their office is always open to give you a bit of guidance (whether or not you want it).  Most soldiers have a story of RSMs and CSMs who have given them a bit of advice, a supporting pat on the back, or a swift kick in the rear which have molded them into good leaders.

It is difficult for someone who hasn't experienced it to understand the true relationship a soldier has with his RSM.  You fear him yet love him at the same time.  He is the ultimate representation of the strength of the unit who exudes confidence and a certain security in his position in life. 

You never want to disappoint him.  He can chastise you without ever raising his voice yet you feel like he is yelling at you.  Even a look of disapproval is like a slap in the face.  By the same token, I have seen soldiers beam simply because the RSM complimented them on something.  You will find that virtually every soldier has an RSM that they aspire to be like.  Even now, in my civilian life, when dealing with people my mind often goes to what my RSM would have done and said and I use that as a guide.

He seems to be all knowing and is like the parent who, even though you think you are getting away with something, knows what you are up to.  And often he will quietly let you know that you are not fooling him.

He is probably the hardest working person in the regiment.  You will see him go from the CO's O group to the lines to check on the men and security then hop in his vehicle to go and get resupplied with the some of the little luxuries you so miss in the field.  He will drive miles just to get some chocolate bars or a case of coke to try a make life a little easier for his troops, often returning in the wee hours of the morning.  He does his best to make life for his people as easy as possible under the circumstances.  He is the protector/defender/mentor for his troops.

There is so much to say about an RSM but basically, if the CO is god then the RSM is St Peter.

fiddlehead was an RSM, and I suspect there are others on here as well...

CB,
The Ruxted Group offer's to you our version of "The RSM".

Soldiering in the 21st century, especially in Afghanistan, is a strange mix of Buck Rogers and the Roman legions.

Soldiers have modern technology which allows them to stay ‘connected’ on a global basis but the need for human interconnectedness, the unbreakable bonding which will allow, indeed require soldiers to die for one another, is as strong on Afghanistan’s plains in 2006 as it was when Roman legionnaires stood, shoulder to shoulder, 2000 years ago.

Just as the centurions bound the men in the legions together so, do the sergeants, today, for Canadian soldiers.  It is a tired but true statement that the Sergeants’ Mess is the heart of the regiment.  The officers may guard its soul – as they do the Regiments Colours on which are emblazoned its timeless battle honours – but the sergeants give the Regiment heart and spirit.

The Regimental Sergeant Major is at the top of the heap.  He is the ‘top soldier’.  There is no first among equals nonsense when the RSM is concerned; he is the first, period.  He worked hard to get there – there are no shortcuts: he was stronger, smarter and tougher than dozens of his peers – he was also fair, tireless, loyal to and caring about his subordinates, his mates, his regiment and the whole damned army.  He always strove to be better: a better soldier, a better leader, a better husband and father and a better man.  While he was raising two or three children he was also raising dozens of young non-commissioned officers so that one or two of them might become just as brave, tough, smart and loyal as he and, eventually, take his place as ‘top soldier.’

Whenever there is need for a ”thin red line of ‘eroes”, at Balaclava or Panjawai, you will find the RSM at its end, holding it steady, giving it heart, giving it his all, unto death.

One key aspect of the relationship between a CO and an RSM is that neither has an equal or peer.  Much of our doctrine on prevention and mitigation of Combat Stress Reaction is the use of peers - being able to unload your thoughts or feelings to a peer.  Neither position has a peer, so they use each other.  You can imagine the extreme stress that both of these men were/are under in Afghanistan.  LCol Lavoie talks about this relationship in the CanWest News article by Brian Hutchinson.  They must be bound together by unwavering respect, loyalty and trust.  They are each others "fire-team partner."  LCol Lavoie will now have to reach down deep inside himself to bring in another RSM and establish that relationship with him.  I wish both of them the best for their future relationship.

Article by Brian Hutchinson here :

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=59271ffd-6932-4c70-8720-484d81236584&k=62599

Ms. Blatchford

If you could can you let us know when to watch for your article, as has been stated you have a lot of fans at this site.

Thanks

thanks to everyone who has responded to my cry for help...you were all terrific.
alas, because of the stupid liberal convention, didn't get as much space as i'd hoped so couldn't use everything everyone sent. tried to do the subject, and the man, justice.
fyi, story should be in the paper tomorrow, i think on page 3.
cheers
christie blatchford

madkay said:
stupid liberal convention,
christie blatchford
:rofl:
YOU said it, NOT me.

But, in all seriousness, thank you and I look forward to reading it.

with all respect to Capt Goddard, Mr Hutchinson describes the RSM as the highest-ranking Cdn soldier to die in theatre....

- well certainly the most influential - let's leave it at that.

CHIMO!

Not a particularly deep story, but a fun one, and fairly typical...

I remember standing on a parade square learning drill with the rest of my Basic platoon, with a very nervous PO as our DS - because the RSM was watching the process.  We had an airshow about to be put on in the area, and for some reason (I'd guess to give a few army-types a show) the Snowbirds decided to practice right above the parade square.  Needless to say, our drill suffered as a result.

When the RSM had seen enough, he intervened:

"PO!"

"Yes, RSM!"

"Stand them at ease, and easy."

"Platooooon....Stand AT....EASE...Stand easy."

"Go ahead and watch."

And so we watched as the planes performed right above our heads, amazed that the RSM was letting us slack off like that - probably for a good fifteen minutes or so before they flew off beyond our sight.  Then the RSM told the PO to call us back to attention, and when we were still, he said this:

"You just watched some of the most talented, well-trained, and professional individuals you'll ever see.  The military has invested a million dollars in each of them to get them to the point where they can do that so flawlessly.  And you know what?  Up there in the air, they're still doing drill.

Now get yourselves squared away, and stop f***ing around on the PO here."

At which point he tucked his pace-stick under his arm and marched smartly away.  And the PO started to breathe again.

Just one story...

Can one imagine this today?  When I did gymn in a public high school in the early sixties we actually learned things such as "attention", "at ease", and "stand easy".  Then we had fun, sometimes actually trying to improve out athletic performance.

Mark
Ottawa

Back