• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suicide bomb kills two Canadian troops, civilian in Kandahar - 27 Nov 2006

Actually he is CWO, not MWO. He has been RSM of 1 RCR for a year and a half.

This is now open for posting again.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/focus/fallen/index_e.asp

On this site it is the RSM and a Cpl, but on the News it is the RSM and a MWO.  Talk about adding confusion to the works.  I doubt that DND would get it wrong.

It is the RSM and a Cpl, i think the media got it wrong because the are calling the RSM, Sgt. Major instead of CWO,

George Wallace said:
On this site it is the RSM and a Cpl, but on the News it is the RSM and a MWO.  Talk about adding confusion to the works.  I doubt that DND would get it wrong.

Stormy is most definatly a Cpl. He was my barrack warden when I first posted into Pet.
Pro Patria and rest easy to both of them.

First, full disclosure, my name is David Shipley and I am a reporter for the New Brunswick Telegraph-Journal.

I was hoping to find someone who could comment on the kind of a soldier and leader RSM Girouard  was.  I can be reached at shipley.david[at]telegraphjournal.com or 1.506.383.2566. CWO Girouard was from Bathurst, NB and is only the second New Brunswicker to die in combat during the current mission. I am hoping to help the public in New Brunswick understand about his role in the military.

Thanks for your assistance,

David.

P.S. I am also a former reservist with the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's), so I've got a different background from many other reporters you may have had experiences with.

Stormy was a good friend of mine.
RIP to both and condolences to their families (civilian and military).

:salute: :cdn:

dshipley,
Thanks for the disclosure and welcome to army.ca.

CF Statement

Two Canadian soldiers were killed on November 27 at approximately 8:35 am (Kandahar time) when their Bison Light Armoured Vehicle was attacked by a suicide bomber driving a car laden with explosives. The incident occurred on Highway 4 between Kandahar Airfield and Kandahar City. There were no other Canadian casualties.

Killed in the attack were:

Chief Warrant Officer Robert Girouard, the Regimental Sergeant Major of the 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group; and
Corporal Albert Storm, also of the 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group based in Petawawa, On.

Chief Warrant Officer Girouard and Cpl Storm will be greatly missed by all the members of joint Task Force Afghanistan. Their sacrifice will not be forgotten and this event will not prevent us from continuing our operations in Kandahar.

Canadian troops in Afghanistan are serving alongside soldiers and civilians from 36 countries under the NATO-led, UN-mandated International Security Assistance Force (ISAF). A key part of Canada’s ‘whole of government’ assistance to Afghanistan is helping to establish the security necessary to promote development.

Prime Minister's Statement

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today issued the following statement on the deaths of Chief Warrant Officer Robert Girouard and Corporal Albert Storm:

“It is with deep sorrow that I extend my condolences, and those of the entire Government of Canada and all Canadians, to the families and friends of Chief Warrant Officer Girouard and Corporal Storm, who were killed yesterday in Afghanistan.

“The resolve and courage demonstrated by Chief Warrant Officer Girouard and Corporal Storm represent Canadian values and beliefs in the finest tradition.  They will be missed by the Canadian Forces family, and their loss is also Canada's loss.  We stand united in pride and pledge to remember their sacrifice. We thank Chief Warrant Officer Girouard and Corporal Storm for their commitment and contribution in serving our country and in helping the Afghan people.

“Canada will not be deterred from the mission to assist the Afghan people achieve greater stability and security.  Our progress is gradual but we are determined to achieve irreversible success. Yesterday morning I spoke with Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai and he expressed his condolences on the loss of our two soldiers.  He noted that Canada is making a difference in Afghanistan, particularly in the south, and he expressed that Canada as part of the NATO alliance is making the world a safer place by making Afghanistan a safer place.

“I know that Canadians stand proudly behind our Canadian Forces as they carry out this mission.  Our thoughts and prayers are with the loved ones of Chief Warrant Officer Girouard and Corporal Storm on this sad day.”

Well, Mr Shipley.

I'll go on the record here.

I only ever had contact with RSM Girouard a couple of times, and even then in passing or in a group setting, rather remarkable nonetheless.

I am not a young man, nor am I unexperienced in the things of this world: seldom do I come across situations, or even more seldom individuals that are so outstanding as to leave a lasting impression.

CWO Girouard left a clear and indelible mark.

I can tell you that the personal presence this man had was incredible.

Fit; to a 'tee'.

Proud; but not in a self righteous way, in a way that made oneself feel better, more suited to the role and important in the job we do.

Competent; beyond belief. Full of knowledge of the job, but also intelligent so as to be able to apply the knowledge in a realistic and sensible manner.

Like many senior NCO's patient but not very tolerant of a fault.

The public, those outside the military, can never really understand the nature of such men, they are a special breed, we follow them, not out of fear or some blind obedience but because, who they are, what they have become, those things they represent are so compelling that they are truly leaders, they make us follow them by their example, they compel us to lead each other, they are remarkable men.

RSM Girouard did not meet the standard, he set it.

This has to be an incredible blow to The RCR.  CWO Girouard is the second RSM in The RCR to be lost this year.  Coupled with the loss of Cpl Storm, this is a sad day indeed.

RIP to two fine soldiers.  May thier familes find peace and solace in knowing they died doing what they do best.

dshipley said:
How did the previous RSM pass away?

CWO Joel Sorbie, RSM of 3RCR, collapsed and died during the CFB Petawawa Terry Fox Run in September 2006.

RIP and Pro Patria.

I knew Stormy from his time with the HQ & Sigs D&S platoon. Sad news indeed.

Premier's message on death of Chief Warrant Officer Robert Girouard (06/11/28)

NB 1464

Nov. 28, 2006

FREDERICTON (CNB) -- The following statement on the death of Chief Warrant Officer Robert (Bobby) Girouard of Bathurst was issued today by Premier Shawn Graham.

"It is with great sadness that we honour the passing of Chief Warrant Officer Bobby Girouard, Regimental Sergeant Major of the 1st Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group, who was killed with Cpl. Albert Storm of Fort Erie, Ont., in a suicide attack on their convoy near Kandahar, Afghanistan this past Monday.

"Chief Warrant Officer Girouard and his fellow soldiers were travelling to assist with reconstruction projects in the Panjwai and Zhari districts outside Kandahar when their Bison Light Armoured Vehicle was attacked about 10 kilometres from Kandahar airfield.

"Chief Warrant Officer Girouard was a 29-year career member of the Canadian Armed Forces, and was serving with the 1st Battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment out of Canadian Forces Base Petawawa.

"The Armed Forces was a lifelong vocation and passion for Chief Warrant Officer Girouard and his family, as both of his sons followed in his footsteps as members of the Armed Forces. He is survived by his wife, Jacqueline; his three children: Robert Jr., Jocelyn, and Michael of Pembroke, Ont.; his parents, Vincent and Mabel Girouard; and his brother, Peter, of Bathurst.

"Chief Warrant Officer Girouard will be remembered as a dedicated solider who served his nation with determination and perseverance while undertaking a difficult and dangerous mission in the cause of freedom and peace. The sacrifice made by Chief Warrant Officer Girouard and Cpl. Storm will not be forgotten.

"Our Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan are working to bring order and hope to the people of that war-torn country. It is important that we reflect on the service they perform and the sacrifices they make every day to make Afghanistan a better, safer place. As we are reminded on days such as today, that service often comes with a heavy price.

"On behalf of all New Brunswickers, I offer my sincere condolences to the family and colleagues of Chief Warrant Officer Girouard and Cpl. Storm for their tragic loss."

06/11/28

Back