• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Strike

Everyone assumes public pay supports military pay. Why is it not possible that the relationship is holding back military pay?
That presumes the military, by itself, could get a better deal on pay than going with the greater unionized bureaucracy flow.

Given the up & down support of the military based on team jerseys in Ottawa, and the broad but shallow public support of the CF, I suspect they may not get a better deal stand alone.

Can't know unless the experiment is tried.
You're right, but there's also lots of folks out there who say unionizing, or anything approaching that, isn't a good option for the CF. Any ideas re: how that could work? Like first-responders and others who don't have the right to strike maybe?
... I suppose people are lined up waiting to join right now?
I don't think poor pay & bargaining is the biggest thing (or even a peripheral thing) keeping recruits out, if that's what you mean.

As does every tax rebate you claimed this year.......be a Dear, and give it all back. ......and forego any VAC claims. Had nothing to do with my Grandchildren.
What a poor take tying a every 4 year union demand to someone getting thier arms or legs blown off or wrecking their knees and back carrying 120lb rucks.

The simple truth is pay raises should be fair and reasonable because runaway spending directly causes the inflation you see now and crippling debt down the line for future generations.

Flat out many of the unions demands are unreasonable.

Millions for unconscious bias training? Total woke nonsense.

Extra pay and extra vacation for indigenous with as little as 3 months employment? Way to build resentment and division in your fellow workers and Canadians because nothing says we are all in this together as citizens like special privledge for certain groups all while spending millions, again for no benefit.

Asking for 30% raises while Canadians can barely keep the lights on, totally out of touch.

30% increase in public service size during the last 8 years sadly the government starting at the very top needs layoffs, We do not gain any more value from a bloated beuacracy then we do from 100 generals in the CAF.

Demanding the worker should be able to decide if they work from home remotely, what could go wrong.

Unions were fabulous once upon the time but have long passed the point of absurdity in their demands, it is no longer about safety and fair pay and is more akin to a hostage situation every 4 years. Do not negotiate with a hostage taker and get a totally independent transparent panel to determine a fair increase And also where layoffs and cuts can be made that do not affect service and follow through.

When your kid throws a tantrum for a chocolate bar, and you cave in and give them one,.....who's fault is it?? Stop taking the easy shot and push for better Govt management.....

What a poor take tying a every 4 year union demand to someone getting thier arms or legs blown off or wrecking their knees and back carrying 120lb rucks.
Real claims I have no issue with, but would most receiving these claims really want a deep dive into them?? I really doubt it.....

I don't think poor pay & bargaining is the biggest thing (or even a peripheral thing) keeping recruits out, if that's what you mean.
Seem to be a lot of people complaining about money issues facing CAF personnel. Is it mostly just people letting off steam, or are recruiting/retention truly affected?

I get it, we all know the union isn't really fighting directly for the military benefits and some even resent what we get but the system we have now links us to them so yes I will support their strike out of my own greedy thinking that if politicians can give themselves a massive increase we can at least get some too. Until something better comes along we are linked, benefit from their strikes and thus deserve our support. Besides a good number of them are ex military.

I used to be against WFH but now am thinking. With the number of days politicians are WFH instead of sitting I am now thinking why not for everyone else. Of course we don't get to WFH in lovely locations at tax payer expense like some do.

As for this all being a burden on our children and other future generations - with the way the government is spending on everything else us getting a few more dollars now is the least of concerns in that category. I would rather we have the money than all these other countries that it is going to. But let's just tell PSAC and the Military to pound sand while we send a few more billion to Ukraine, any other flavour of the day and any other political friend/family.

I used to be against WFH but now am thinking. With the number of days politicians are WFH instead of sitting I am now thinking why not for everyone else. Of course we don't get to WFH in lovely locations at tax payer expense like some do.

Work from Home means extra work for employers to engage with their workforce, or they're probably going to lose people... in more ways than one:

Prepare to give workers more say in back-to-office plans: survey​

Working from home, Canadians found job satisfaction and well-being. Those workers also realized they can work from anywhere, a warning for employers.

In short, a key lesson from workers’ experiences during the pandemic is that employers must foster open and meaningful two-way communication with employees and then respond appropriately. By doing so, they will signal to employees that they care about them and can be trusted – essential features of a positive culture that supports employee well-being and job performance.

Employers also need to address the issues of job quality and well-being. This may require redesigned human resource strategies. This way the diverse needs of all workers – both remote and non-remote – can be achieved.

Mostly. there were a few instances of conflict that happened in 2001 too such as the fight at Stad main gate.
I was assaulted by a PSAC picketer in 2004. I was a picket line monitor tasked with negotiating the entry of military members into our building in th4e NCR. The picket captain and management made a deal to allow 10 people in every 15 minutes. Someone made a comment the picket captain didn't like, so she abandoned the deal. When I went to speak to her about it, I was pushed and punched. I blocked her. OPS and MPs were right there and she was led away in cuffs.

When your kid throws a tantrum for a chocolate bar, and you cave in and give them one,.....who's fault is it?? Stop taking the easy shot and push for better Govt management.....

Real claims I have no issue with, but would most receiving these claims really want a deep dive into them?? I really doubt it.....

I was denied a back claim based on a single statement, not a diagnosis mind you, a single statement written by a military doctor I barely knew over 16 years ago. They went through all 10 of the MS folders created for my docs over 20+ years. It took me nearly 2 hours of searching to find it myself, and I knew what I was looking for. They must have searched for days to find that needle in a haystack. Their take on the statement was completely refuted by an MRI, but they went with it anyways….so, deep dive away!

I was assaulted by a PSAC picketer in 2004. I was a picket line monitor tasked with negotiating the entry of military members into our building in th4e NCR. The picket captain and management made a deal to allow 10 people in every 15 minutes. Someone made a comment the picket captain didn't like, so she abandoned the deal. When I went to speak to her about it, I was pushed and punched. I blocked her. OPS and MPs were right there and she was led away in cuffs.
gotta admit I don't even remember a strike in 2004. Getting too old

Seem to be a lot of people complaining about money issues facing CAF personnel. Is it mostly just people letting off steam, or are recruiting/retention truly affected?
Likely a mix of both - and I can't disagree this hurts the "keeping them in" side of the scales, for sure.

This is illegal action and it is time the government used the laws on the books to prevent it.

As per the criminal code:

Intimidation

• 423 (1) Every one is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years or is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction who, wrongfully and without lawful authority, for the purpose of compelling another person to abstain from doing anything that he or she has a lawful right to do, or to do anything that he or she has a lawful right to abstain from doing,
    • (a) uses violence or threats of violence to that person or their intimate partner or children, or injures the person’s property;
    • (b) intimidates or attempts to intimidate that person or a relative of that person by threats that, in Canada or elsewhere, violence or other injury will be done to or punishment inflicted on him or her or a relative of his or hers, or that the property of any of them will be damaged;
    • (c) persistently follows that person;
    • (d) hides any tools, clothes or other property owned or used by that person, or deprives him or her of them or hinders him or her in the use of them;
    • (e) with one or more other persons, follows that person, in a disorderly manner, on a highway;
    • (f) besets or watches the place where that person resides, works, carries on business or happens to be; or
    • (g) blocks or obstructs a highway.
  • Marginal note:Exception
    (2) A person who attends at or near or approaches a dwelling-house or place, for the purpose only of obtaining or communicating information, does not watch or beset within the meaning of this section.

Margins (d) through (f) should apply. The right to strike does not mean the right to prevent others from going about their lawful business. Its time we stop catering to people who seek to use violence (preventing people from going places is violence) to force some sort of political outcome. Go protest, strike if you want to, but you don’t get to block or prevent others from doing as they wish.

There is no doubt pay is having an effect on the CAF. I'll tell you right now, things are not good in the RCN and the recent PLD mess has really exacerbated things, especially in the PO2 and up ranks.

Having said that, a lot of people like me are waiting to see what actually gets deposited in my account on Aug 1 to make decisions.

PSAC strike yawn.

They will get a nice increase. They didn't add 31 percent more to payrolls to piss them off. They added them because they vote.

But got put on a little show for the public...see we fought hard to keep cost down. And then on the union the same thing, see your dues are working for you. Its all theatre.

I would not be surprised if the whole thing is not already worked out.

Back