• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Squadrons of the CME

the whole thing was a big deal when the reserve restructure was being considered.
Idle threats of closing down units, combining units.... sending history to the cupboards of oblivion......
The honoraries fought it tooth and nail..... bless them all!

MCG said:
but why should we change tradition when it is not in the way (there is no impact, from the name "2 FER" nor the name "32 CER," on the operations of 32 CBG)?

What was the background on being called 2 FER?

pert much a matter of getting in on the ground floor and being formed from the Mil engineer disctricts that were in place at the end of WW2.

1947, the 4th and 16th Field Companies was brought under the command of the 3rd Division RCE HQ, which became the origin of the present day regiment. The following year, the unit officially acquired the status of regiment, becoming the 3rd Field Engineer Regiment. In 1949, the regiment moved to Hillside Armories in Westmount, where it has remained to the present day.

I would venture to guess that 2FER has a similar pedigree.

geo's right.  It comes from the 2nd Divisional engineers, and as indicated in my earlier post, the regiment included 2 Field Coy, 47 Field Coy,  27 Field Park Coy (all Toronto), 8 Field Coy (North Bay), and 18 Field Coy (Hamilton).

btw, isn't 3FER supposed to be moving?  When I went to the change of command last year there was talk of a new armouries in the old port.  Is that still a potential?  It wouldn't surprise me if not- I recall RSM Lapierre telling me that when he was a recruit, people were telling him not to get comfortable, that they were moving soon.  Heck, even while I was there there were two moves that were planned and then scratched (to St Jean, and then out by the airport).

Echo9 said:
geo's right.  It comes from the 2nd Divisional engineers, and as indicated in my earlier post, the regiment included 2 Field Coy, 47 Field Coy,  27 Field Park Coy (all Toronto), 8 Field Coy (North Bay), and 18 Field Coy (Hamilton).

Then I would contend that the tradition is that the Regiment is numbered after the higher headquarters so being changed to its brigade number would be keeping with tradition

New Armoury in old port got Kaboshed ....
Old armoury was "condemned" back in 1970 when I was a rookie.... go figure

Current talk is that 3FER will be moving shortly into a shared facility with a non military org.  At same time, they are looking at setting up a detached Troop to tap potential off island....

Back