• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Squadrons of the CME

Taranis

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm kinda new to the Engineers and just trying to understand the make up of the units of the CME.  From what I can tell all of their units consist of numbered squadrons, which may or may not relate to which Regiment it is in.

So Far this was what I found

3 Field Engineer Squadron (Ottawa)
4 Field Squadron, 3 Field Engineer Regiment (Montreal)
6 Field Engineer Squadron (North Vancouver)
9 Escadron du Génie de Campagne (Noranda)
10 Escadron du Génie de Campagne (Quebec City)
11 Field Squadron      ---|
12 Field Squadron        |
13 Field Squadron        |- 1 Combat Engineer Regiment (Edmonton)
14 Field Squadron        |
18 Admin Squadron    --|
21 Field Squadron      ---|
22 Field Squadron          |
23 Field Squadron          |--- 2 Combat Engineer Regiment (Petawawa)
24 Light Squadron          |
28 Admin Squadron    ---|
25 Field Squadon, 8 Field Engineer Regiment
33 Field Engineer Squadron (Calgary)
41 Construction Squadron ------|
42 General Support Squadron  | ----- 4 Engineer Support Regiment (Gagetown)
48 Administration Squadron ---|
44 Field Engineer Squadron (Trail, BC)
45 Field Engineer Squadron (Syndey, NS)
51 Escadron du Genie de Combat    -|
52 Escadron du Genie de Combat    |
53 Escadron de Genie Legere          | - Régiment du Genie de Combat (Valcartier)
55 Escadron de Soutien                  |
58 Escadron d'Administration        - |
56 Field Engineer Squadron (St. John's)
85 Support Squadron, 8 Field Engineer Regiment (Edmonton)

However, I have no idea which squadrons are in 2 Field Engineer Regiment and 31 Combat Engineer Regiment, or if 3 Field Engineer Regiment has just the one squadron.

Does anyone else know what other squadrons are out there or have even been out their?  I'm just curious??

<Deleted by owner>

You're right didn't read post all the way.

But you did forget our airforce brothers,

Airfield Engineering Flight Gander, 9 Wing Gander
Wing Construction Engineering Squadron and 141 Airfield Engineer Flight, 14 Wing Greenwood, NS

The squadron in 31 CER are as follows: 7 Field Squadron, in St. Thomas, Ontario, and 48 Field Squadron, in Waterloo, Ontario.

3 FER in Westmount (not Montreal) also includes 16 Field Sqn.

Taranis said:
21 Field Squadron      ---|
22 Field Squadron          |
23 Field Squadron          |--- 2 Combat Engineer Regiment (Petawawa)
24 Light Squadron          |
28 Admin Squadron    ---|

21 and 22 Fd Sqn are not part of 2CER, in fact 22 Fd Sqn is now 4ESR (and has been for a number of years). 24 is a Fd Sqn (currently with only 1 field troop, 5 Tp is for all intensive purposes stood down). And you forgot 25 Support Squadron.

Anyway, that's just nit-picky stuff, but you asked.....

To add a layer of confusion, the reserve squadrons are pronounced as you might expect ("thirty three field squadron") while in the regular force they are pronounced more like a C/S (such as "one-one field squadron").

As for 31 CER, back in 2001 it was 311 Fd Sqn (“three-one-one field squadron” but probably should have been “thirty one-one field squadron”) and 318 Admin Sqn (and arguably neither sqn was larger than a tp).

seen on 311 fd sqn, didnt feel like goin into the nitty-gritty of the name change, and it still is only a trp size.

Okay,
But What about 2 Field Engineer Regiment??  Any Toronto boys here??

Don't know anything about 2 FER, but yes the admin sqn for 31 CER, is indeed 318 Sqn.  CHIMO

Presently 31 CER consists of two composite Field Squadrons, 7 and 48 with the remaining pers in RHQ.  Each Sqn has a Field Troop and a Sp Tp, with the strength of each running around 70.  311 and 318 were just the extensions of 31 CER and used primarily for ease during the rerolling process.  7 was the Sqn that used to be in London and 48 used to be in Waterloo so it made sense to resurrect them.
Hope this helps.

There was actually a staff paper written on this a year and change ago to address all of the (new) squadrons that are supposed to come into play.  Something else to remember is that Squadrons in res units are numbered historically according to the old companies of the RCE, whereas the regular regiments just use the nomenclature xy, where x is the regiment's number and y is the squadron's number within the regiment, with 5 typically being support sqn, 7 being reserved for armour sqn and 8 being admin/ HQ sqn.  I'm only going to refer to the Res ones here

1 (Brighton) - new squadron in New Brunswick
2- Toronto
3- Ottawa
4- Montreal (ok, Dave, Westmount, you nit picker)
5- new squadron in Ottawa
6- N Van
7- St Thomas
8- vacant, was in N Bay & part of 2 FER
9- Rouyn
10- Quebec
15- new Sqn in Quebec
16- Montreal
17- new Sqn in Edmonton
18- vacant, was Hamilton & part of 2 FER
20- new Sqn in NS (Halifax?)
21- vacant, was Flin Flon
22- vacant
25- Edmonton
27- Sp Sqn in Toronto
31- Winnipeg (currently within FGH)
33- Calgary
44- Trail
45- Sydney
46- new Sqn within Sask/ Man
47- Toronto
48- Waterloo
54- Chilliwack
56- St John's

Keep in mind that most of the new squadrons are on the wish list, haven't been approved, and don't exist anywhere except within some planner's wet dreams.  I personnally find it difficult to believe that we're going to be able to summon up a 250 man engineer regiment out of an understrength cavalry regiment in one of the most demographically depressed regions of the country.

For those who are interested, the following are the regiments that would be revived from the SOB list to get the one regiment per brigade:
31 CER - 11 FER  SW Ontario
32 CER - 2 FER  Toronto
33 CER - 10 FER  Ottawa
34 CER - 3 FER  Westmount
35 CER - 4 FER  Quebec
36 CER - 5 FER  Nova Scotia
37 CER - 9 FER  NB/ Nfld
38 CER -  6 FER  Man/ Sask
39 CER - 7 FER  BC
41 CER - 8 FER  Alberta

Taranis,

How unfortunate that you don't wish to hear about the other units/flights of the CME!!!  I thought you wanted to hear about all of them, as indicated in your request?  If that's the case, I suggest you open your eyes to the Airfield Engineer component of the CME.  I know I've got the Beaver and Ubique on my cap badge and trade badge, I live by the "Red Book" as well as receive the CME newsletters, so that must tell you something.

Judging from your avatar, you have limited experience, so I'll give consideration to your lack of knowledge on this.  Let's just say that, if you were in Kandahar last January, you may have seen a major part of what a "flight" of Engineers is capable of.  191 AE Flight (Comox) as well as some pers from 192 (Abbotsford) were there for the initial camp beddown. 

Suffice it to say, when you go on a deployment that requires services and utilities, I'd like you to consider things such as: Where does the electricity come from and who set up the distribution?  What is a MLBU, and where did it come from/who typically sets it up and services it?  Where does the Heating and Air conditioning come from?  Who ordered the ROWPU, operates it, and ensures the water is drinkable/potable?  Who ensures our fire safety and prevention on the camp?  Who set up the MECCs, Weatherhavens, Clamshells, etc?  Who are the carpenters, masons, electricians, and plumbers.......?

Any Engineers that were there at the time, please feel free to support me on this. 

This is just the tip of the iceburg.  Not to be misunderstood, I'm not saying that they're the only ones capable of this.  But believe me, once you become more knowledgeable of their capabilities, you'll be proud to call them "Brother/Sister Beavers."  Those that say otherwise, well, how unfortunate for them. 

This is your Topic, so you may request what you wish.  However, just remember that, "Knowledge is power, as long as the person using it knows how to apply it."

Chimo!

Echo9 said:
<snip>
1 (Brighton) - new squadron in New Brunswick 
<snip>
You sure on this?? We (56 FES) are tasked to set up 55 or 57 (depending which way the puzzle palace wants to go) FES in Fredricton

Echo9 said:
<snip>

37 CER - 9 FER   NB/ Nfld

Where are you getting 9 FER from? An Engineer unit formed in NB would be under the control of 37 CER (by defacto be controlled by 56 FES) and therefor would still be a sub-unit and would retain the designation as a Squadron.

Nfld_Sapper:

Currently 9 FER appears on the supplementary order of battle.  The plan would see 9 FER revived and renamed to 37 CER.  Or, in other words, each CBG would have a CER sharing the same name.

No plans survive contact first contact with the enemy; fewer still survive first contact with NDHQ.  Further change and development will occur prior to anything being implemented; the intent it to have a holistic Combat Engineer plan for the Army, including both the Regular Force and the Reserve Force (vice our usual method of making one plan each for Reg and Res, then wondering why things are out of sync).

Echo9 said:
For those who are interested, the following are the regiments that would be revived from the SOB list to get the one regiment per brigade:
31 CER - 11 FER  SW Ontario
32 CER - 2 FER  Toronto
33 CER - 10 FER  Ottawa
34 CER - 3 FER  Westmount
35 CER - 4 FER  Quebec
36 CER - 5 FER  Nova Scotia
37 CER - 9 FER  NB/ Nfld
38 CER -  6 FER  Man/ Sask
39 CER - 7 FER  BC
41 CER - 8 FER  Alberta
dapaterson said:
Currently 9 FER appears on the supplementary order of battle.  The plan would see 9 FER revived and renamed to 37 CER.  Or, in other words, each CBG would have a CER sharing the same name.
What would be wrong with retaining the names of the historic FERs on reactivating one for each CBG that does not have one?

Most FERs hold the name of old districts ("The Thrid Distrcit Engineers" in Westmount are now the Third Field Engineer Regiment, if memory serves).  In part, the objective is to align Reg F naming conventions and Res F naming conventions - the three Reg F CERs are all numbered after their parent CMBGs.

Of course, much of this depends on the future reserve force structure - how many units of what size in what places under how many CBGs.

Back