• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soon to be RMC grad not sure how to move forward

Mandy_13

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello and thank you in advance for any assistance you are able to provide. I'm not sure if my question will be too specific for this forum but I was hoping to get a basic idea whether my credentials would be considered for a Personnel Selection Officer. Is it worth talking to a local recruiter/applying?

On the personal side I am 31 years old and in good physical shape (regular runner/gym goer). I did read through the educational requirements for the position and while my Masters degree is in a different specialization I do have other credentials that are a very direct fit for the job (Sociology degree, career counseling diploma, and HR training). 

My education credentials are:

A Master of Public Administration (MPA) from RMC (graduating next semester)
A Honours Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
A Post-Graduate Diploma in Employment Counseling
The 10 post graduate courses required by HRPAO to meet the CHRP designation completed at various Ontario colleges (Graduate courses in HR)

I'm not sure if this is relevant but I'm currently a federal government employee who has been assessing flight crew credentials and licences (and providing light counseling on options/requirements for pilots including CAF members) for the past six years.

If I am not an appropriate fit for the Personnel Selection Officer role is there another avenue you could suggest I explore that might be more in line with my education?

Any insights you can provide would be appreciated, and once again thank you for your time.

To submit an application for DEO Personnel Selection Officer, you need to meet the following entry standards:

IDEAL
Master’s Degree:
o Industrial-Organizational Psychology
o Social Psychology
o Cognitive Psychology

ACCEPTABLE
Master’s Degree:
o Psychology
o Sociology (Degree must include statistics and research methodology courses appropriate for the degree level (i.e., BA/BSc or MA/MSc))
OR
Baccalaureate Degree with Honours – 4 years (or Quebec equivalent):
o Psychology
AND
At least one (1) or more years working full-time in one or more of the following fields:
o Selection
o Recruiting (HR)
o Social Science Research
o Education/Career Counselling

Nevertheless, I would suggest that if you are interested in the Personnel Selection occupation, that you submit an application online and ask for your academic credentials to be appropriately assessed by the occupation authority.

Back