• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier stereotype commercial

green K

Inactive
Reaction score

Hey guys; this is an off-the-top-of my head idea about an advertisement expressing how the public sometimes perceives us. I have been a soldier for three years, and in that time I have personally experienced most of the sentiments below said out loud by complete strangers who noticed my uniform.

(The Scene opens in a coffee shop. A girl reacts to what the man across from him has just said):

Girl; Oh wow, so you are a Paramedic. Would that make you pro…car crash?

(A scene of a cloudy day by a street corner. An older man walks up to a fireman drinking a coffee.)

Man; I just think, hey, aren't you scared of dying for nothing at all?

(A scene of a young man standing in a bus talking to the driver.)

Boy: I just can’t talk to you right now, ‘cause your just repeating what they told you to say.

(A woman looks through her open door at a girl scout selling cookies at the other end.)

Woman: I'm sorry, but to me, you're just a symbol of everything I'm scared of right now.

(A Construction worker is waiting by a bus station. He briefly smiles at the woman who is staring at him and then looks away. The woman keeps staring at him with wide concerned eyes.)

Blank space followed by a voiceover.

"We don’t talk to most people like this…why the hell are we treating Canadian soldiers this way?"

(The next scene is of a guy talking to a female soldier in a coffee shop.)

Boy: So...you're the type of person that supports what we’re doing in Iraq?
Soldier: You mean, Afghanistan?
            Boy: Right, but you have to be a certain type of person to support anything that has to do with…

(End)

I dont understand that last line said by the soldier...

Be a certain type of person that has anything to do with...?

uh, 3 years ??? common cutesy here is to fill out your profile. (just a kind reminder  ;) )

and I would counter those negative adds with things like

On the Bus, innocent child says: Hi Mr. Army man! (smile ear to ear)

Again on the bus Soldier with full kit approached by women.
women: You be safe in your endeavors and come home in one piece.
soldier: Thank you, but I'm just going on exercise.

Once more on bus, soldier getting correct change from pocket
  bus driver: that's ok, you get to ride for free.

Tim Hortons soldier finishes ordering a coffee
Man standing behind soldier: that's ok, his coffee is on my tab.

I have a lot more positive stories than negative ones and believe the negative ones have been discussed to death. I like to see some more positives stuff for a change  ^-^

career_radio-checker said:
uh, 3 years ??? common cutesy here is to fill out your profile. (just a kind reminder  ;) )

and I would counter those negative adds with things like

On the Bus, innocent child says: Hi Mr. Army man! (smile ear to ear)

Again on the bus Soldier with full kit approached by women.
women: You be safe in your endeavors and come home in one piece.
soldier: Thank you, but I'm just going on exercise.

Once more on bus, soldier getting correct change from pocket
  bus driver: that's ok, you get to ride for free.

Tim Hortons soldier finishes ordering a coffee
Man standing behind soldier: that's ok, his coffee is on my tab.

I have a lot more positive stories than negative ones and believe the negative ones have been discussed to death. I like to see some more positives stuff for a change  ^-^

+1 CRC....great view on this.
I like your view and have personally experienced a few  of those same experiences.

I appreciate the feedback. I am trying to disect a very real prejudice I have noticed in Vancouver. Of course, I do not wish to bog it down with cases of outbursts. Maybe I'll get rid of the "Aren't you scared of dying" comment, allthough, I've heard "Oh, guy with a gun let's get out of his way." a few times walking down the block.

Fear of the military does have a place among our society, My neighbours included. What I was trying to portray was how this fear, coupled with ignorance, makes normal people feel that they can act towards us in innapropriate ways.
      The fear expressed by many people is that the integrity of Canada's military has been weakened by a compliance of America's war on terror. Whether we agree with this or not, Only half of the Canadian public supports our Afghan mission. When I met Michael Byers, the author of War Law, and someone who may have an impact our government, one of his first remarks to me was "Wouldn't you rather be in Darfur?" ...Sure thing Mike.
        Fear and ignorance is what those who are percieved to support the "War on Terror," are labelled with. Fear and ignorance form this sentiment when rude comments are flipped our way.
      People fear that others are driven by fear. Take the image of a blonde, SUV driving soccer mom with a "Support our troops" ribbon on the back of of her H2, who whips out a cellphone and speed-dials CSIS when a muslim couple move in next door.
      I am not sensationalizing crass remarks thrown out by fringe activists. I am trying to point out that respect for people in uniform, and a realization that Canadian soldiers are dehumanized when stereotyped , will enable the trust that people can talk to each other,  that saves us from the threat of ideology and fear that creeps in when we don't talk.
                                                                                                                          --GreenK.

green K said:

I appreciate the feedback. I am trying to disect a very real prejudice I have noticed in Vancouver. Of course, I do not wish to bog it down with cases of outbursts. Maybe I'll get rid of the "Aren't you scared of dying" comment, allthough, I've heard "Oh, guy with a gun let's get out of his way." a few times walking down the block.

Fear of the military does have a place among our society, My neighbours included. What I was trying to portray was how this fear, coupled with ignorance, makes normal people feel that they can act towards us in innapropriate ways.
      The fear expressed by many people is that the integrity of Canada's military has been weakened by a compliance of America's war on terror. Whether we agree with this or not, Only half of the Canadian public supports our Afghan mission. When I met Michael Byers, the author of War Law, and someone who may have an impact our government, one of his first remarks to me was "Wouldn't you rather be in Darfur?" ...Sure thing Mike.
        Fear and ignorance is what those who are percieved to support the "War on Terror," are labelled with. Fear and ignorance form this sentiment when rude comments are flipped our way.
       People fear that others are driven by fear. Take the image of a blonde, SUV driving soccer mom with a "Support our troops" ribbon on the back of of her H2, who whips out a cellphone and speed-dials CSIS when a muslim couple move in next door.
       I am not sensationalizing crass remarks thrown out by fringe activists. I am trying to point out that respect for people in uniform, and a realization that Canadian soldiers are dehumanized when stereotyped , will enable the trust that people can talk to each other,  that saves us from the threat of ideology and fear that creeps in when we don't talk.
                                                                                                                          --GreenK.

Hey GreenK welcome to the club. No one would disagree with you on how annoying it can be to hear the stupid remarks but I am afraid what you seem to be saying is elitism. Now, as much as I like the feel of CADPAT next to my skin, the uniform does not make us superior citizens, and as a fellow Canadian soldier you should realize that our raison-d'etre is to protect and uphold a just and equal democratic society. People are entitled to their opinions and you must be able to accept the sneering remarks and carry on. When they start throwing rocks at you then you can put them in a half-nelson.
Until then, you don't need to start another thread as this topic has been discussed in eye-stabbing-with-pencil detail which I myself am guilty of participating in. If its an event that may be of interest to listen to what the "other side" has to say, then that might be a good idea to post as debate fuels awareness. But if you are bored and want to state an idea/opinion or just have a good laugh, I'd recommend looking here

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/49100.0.html
or here
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/53449.0.html
or here
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/35263.0.html
or here
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/25349.0.html
or here
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/22312.0.html
or here
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/15597.0.html
or here
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/50522.0.html
or here
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/42246.0.html
or here
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/51689.0.html

and many many more... just use the search for words like "protesters" "civvies" "hippies"etc...

I'm not trying to power trip you or be condescending. I know what you are talking about and agree, its just too much negativity has been spread on the forum which I fear only fans the very flames of ignorance you speak of. Because if we act spiteful towards these people than we just solidify their beliefs towards the military. This is something I have just learned recently and am trying limit my own faults of making sly remarks. I am not perfect and might even make a remark here or there but I am aware of it and, like quiting smoking, will start by cutting back.

Cheers.
CRC

Thanks CRC, those were some funny posts. My comment about "Normal" people refered to just that, everyday people as opposed to people on the fringe. Allthough our society likes to believe it does not share pre-conceptions, it does. Respect for soldiers led into my belief that respect for everybody was a better approach for people to express their views than to confront with a prejudice.
      Elitism? Not really my intent there. Looking at the posts, I geuss this subject has been picked over to death. But just wait till I get the reply from the dudes at Consiounce Canada I sent a letter to.
                                                                                                    --Green K

Personally I dont mind stupid questions (likes of "are you in the army?") but what i do mind is people staring. At first it was amusing, then just plain old rude. I don't mean the good kind of staring either...
In the morning it is fine, people are still sleepy and there arent many of them, but when i am going home through downtown, full skytrain and buses is just ridiculous. Had some moron scream "go back to Afghanistan". Considering i am a long way of actually going anywhere, it was rather amusing.

BUT, it has it's good sides to. Standing at a bus stop a couple feet from one of those "anti-war coalition" posters and watching people is rather amusing. It is not like i have a choice where to stand, they put up that crap right next to where the bus stops.

Green K

The problem I have with your I-love-me-mercial is that all of those statements have a grain of truth, some more than others.

I, like a great many other soldiers do not view violence as unacceptable or even undesireable. It's a fact of life - and I know which end of the rifle I want to be on - GIVEN THE PROPER CIRCUMSTANCES.

I'm not afraid to die - I know what I'm doing is right - and I've made arrangements for those I love, and I know it won't be for nothing.

So you're afraid of my uniform? I don't care. I don't wear it for you. I wear it for me, the people who support me and this country, not for the stupid people that happen to live here in ignorance.

We don't need an anonymous commercial stating "soldiers are people too". We need people to interact with the public and tell them the truth. Interact with people who obviously have a problem with you, it will soothe the fears of the scared and disconcert the haters.

I personally haven't had negative incidents with civilians.

I've gotten all the questions: How do you feel about fighting in Afghanistan? How do you feel about the possibility of dying over there? ect ect...

I have well throughout persuasive argument style answers, "in the breech" for these questions, when I lay out my answers, people seem to understand and not pursuit it any further.

I think the reason civvies ask these questions stems from their reality and beliefs, which are of course sometimes anti-Afghanistan, anti-army whatever they may be. These types of people may look at a soldier and think along the lines, "crap this guy doesn't really know what's going maybe I can shed some light into what’s really going on". When they see that a soldier has an understanding of the big picture, what’s going on, and why he has made his decisions about what he is doing then, their rational is, in effect nullified. There are people who of course who blame the individual soldiers, they are simply ignorant and the only option is to ignore those types, however they represent a VERY minor part of the population in Canada (based on my experience)

As far as being downright verbally assaulted for being in the army, never. I haven't even heard of this ever happening in Vancouver, albeit I'm sure it has. Mind you for the first 3 years I took the bus to the unit and back, so I was in combats in and around the public for a quite some time.

Also green, maybe you could fill in your real rank instead of putting, "Prime Minister"

Anyway I disagree with having a commercial to boost Canadian Soldier/Public relations. It's not, by any standards bad. - Its certainly not a USA during Vietnam situation. No matter what line of work you’re in there will be people critizing you for it. Think police, they take more flak than any job I would imagine. Also think security guards, traffic authority, meter maids, janitors...

Anyway none of those professions have public relation campaigns because it doesn't matter what a minor percentage advocates negatively. The fact of the matter is police, and the such, aren’t there to make everyone happy - they are there to protect. One would think that because of their duty to protect, that they walk a moral high ground, and that people don't have the right to criticize, but that is not the case. So the same goes with the army - we are protectors, this does not mean that the ordinary people we protect cannot criticize us, in fact it’s just the opposite.

Years ago my 2 1/2 deuce broke down and I had to walk to a corner store to call for recovery. I was carrying my SMG and in helmet, webbing (51 pattern to date myself!) This lady in the store came up to me and started screaming that I was a baby killer and we shouldn't be allowed to carry gun, blah, blah.

I had just come back from South America where people are afraid of their army. So I looked at her, smiled and said: "It's great to live in a country where you can yell obscenities at a armed soldier in perfect safety and it's my job to ensure that you can continue to abuse me whenever you wish"

She was speechless and the old man behind the counter had a knowing smile as I think he was a veteran.

That's a pretty interesting story Colin P. I'll have to figure out how to be as light-on-my feet with my replies.

Well it certainly wasn't the first thing to pop into my head  ;D

However it is said a wise man smokes a pipe, in other words take your time in replying to idiots.  ;)

Back