• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single Quarters & Rations (R&Q) [MERGED]

• Thread starter Thread starter McG
  • Start date Start date
CDN Aviator said:
Anyone you know in the shacks that could split an appt with you ?

Lots of guys did that when i lived in....was the only way to afford it

That's likely what will happen when I get back from course next year.  (8-10 months on course, I don't want to be paying for an apartment and not living there)  The only thing is, unless you find a furnished place, someone has to buy furniture, appliances, etc, and right now that's just not a viable option.  Trust me, hehe, I wouldn't be in shacks if it weren't financially necessary right now.

Sparkplugs said:
That's likely what will happen when I get back from course next year.  (8-10 months on course, I don't want to be paying for an apartment and not living there)  The only thing is, unless you find a furnished place, someone has to buy furniture, appliances, etc, and right now that's just not a viable option.  Trust me, hehe, I wouldn't be in shacks if it weren't financially necessary right now.

I moved out of the shacks and lived with wife and kids on Pte 1 pay so i'm sure theres a solution there somewhere that fits your budget.

CDNAV

Have you ever missed a meal due to course, as in a box lunch/supper/breakfast or a haybox was not provided or a claimfor meals was not issued?

Courses are built around hard timings and those that cannot be met are taken into account, by the booking of meals.

CDN Aviator said:
I moved out of the shacks and lived with wife and kids on Pte 1 pay so i'm sure theres a solution there somewhere that fits your budget.

When the housing wasn't so damn expensive :)

BulletMagnet said:
Have you ever missed a meal due to course, as in a box lunch/supper/breakfast or a haybox was not provided or a claimfor meals was not issued?

Repeatedly

Courses are built around hard timings and those that cannot be met are taken into account, by the booking of meals.

Idealy yes.....in practical terms it doesnt always happen that way.

SupersonicMax said:
When the housing wasn't so damn expensive :)

And the pay was alot freakin less than it is today.

CDN Aviator said:

Without getting into too many details, I own a vehicle, and I am also paying off a student loan from when I went to college, and my debt is being paid off, until it is, I can't afford a place of my own.  This isn't an issue of "people shouldn't live in shacks if they don't like the way it's done there", this is a fairness and money issue.  If I were able to buy my own food, I'd be in an apartment by now, because I'd have been able to save up enough to go.  But when your pay is under $800 twice a month, and most of it goes to debt, there isn't a lot to play with.  I know people who had a place on a P1 salary as well, and that's awesome, if you can afford it.  My budget is not excessive.  I don't party, I don't drink, and I don't waste money.  Every pay incentive I get, this gets easier, but for now, I just can't afford it. 

I have no regrets about joining, I am furthering myself and am very proud of where I stand right now.  I love the CF, but I do think this is an important issue for those of us it affects.

CDN AV

The you my friend are getting screwed too LOL, And I hope you raised those issues in the course Critique. No troop should be without a meal ever no exceptions, well there are filed worthy exceptions but no excuse while in garrison!

BulletMagnet said:
No troop should be without a meal ever no exceptions, well there are filed worthy exceptions but no excuse while in garrison!

In ZX you can get a box lunch for a meal when you are going to be unable to be at the mess BUT you had better have ordered it 48 hours in advance !!

There are times where, no matter how tight a schedule you have made, meals will be missed.

SupersonicMax said:
I know many WComd that would be more than happy to make the living conditions better.  The fact that a Pte sends a memo to point out something should not have any impact on anything.  And I don't see any reason to make a big poop storm out of it, provided something is genuinly wrong in the way they do things.

You're new around here, aren't you?

Actually, no.  I've been around for 8 years and I've served directly and indirectly under 4 Wing Commanders and all were very concerned about the welfare of everyone under their command.  And if something wasn't right and shouldn't have been done, it was rectified, no matter who brough up the point.  That's the way the system is built.  If the system isn't transparent, it becomes unfair for the troops.

Max

This sounds pretty off-side in my experience.  Why aren't you getting better divisional support?  From your decription, you are not able to access the service you are paying for.  You should either be able to get to the mess without exception, or there should be some mechanism for you to receive your meals at your workplace.  Frankly, the basic idea of being forced to pay for rations while living in is pretty strange, I've always thought the two (rations/quarters) were separable.

What self-respecting senior NCO would allow a Pte to deal with this on their own?  Even if I did not think Sparkplugs was getting seen off, I would supporting the appeal to the next appropriate step.

You should probably request to see that regulation in writing, before you proceed any further.  Then when you've moved on elsewhere, you can reference that instead of saying "well, so-and-so told me".  That will assist when you are asked the inevitable questions.

Once again, I'd ask why you aren't getting this from your divisional system. 

yak said:
This sounds pretty off-side in my experience.  Why aren't you getting better divisional support?  From your decription, you are not able to access the service you are paying for.  You should either be able to get to the mess without exception, or there should be some mechanism for you to receive your meals at your workplace.  Frankly, the basic idea of being forced to pay for rations while living in is pretty strange, I've always thought the two (rations/quarters) were separable.

What self-respecting senior NCO would allow a Pte to deal with this on their own?  Even if I did not think Sparkplugs was getting seen off, I would supporting the appeal to the next appropriate step.

You should probably request to see that regulation in writing, before you proceed any further.  Then when you've moved on elsewhere, you can reference that instead of saying "well, so-and-so told me".  That will assist when you are asked the inevitable questions.

Once again, I'd ask why you aren't getting this from your divisional system. 

A few of us had brought it up to the chain, and got the old 'nothing we can do, talk to the kitchen' thing, but of course, the kitchen isn't in my chain, so that's doesn't work.  I'm going to try and send up a memo, referencing the lack of a regulation for this.

Sparkplugs said:
I'm going to try and send up a memo, referencing the lack of a regulation for this.

going to hope that you looked beyond CANFORGENs , CFAOs and The like before saying theres a lack of regulations on a memo. I would hate to see your memo fired back because you didnt do your research completely.

I'd direct that to the lowest practical level in your div chain and let them have a chance at it before you go off half-cocked and ill-advised.

Perhaps written with the knowledge and assistance of your MCpl (or whatever you've got) to your WO or divisional Chief (or equivalent).  Perhaps your Div O, but the chiefs usually like being on top of these sorts of things.  He's probably got a direct line to get to the bottom of this in the galley anyway.

Make sure you check your standing orders there.

CDN Aviator said:
going to hope that you looked beyond CANFORGENs , CFAOs and The like before saying theres a lack of regulations on a memo. I would hate to see your memo fired back because you didnt do your research completely.

If there were CFAO's etc for Trenton out on this, I wouldn't be asking for options.  I said nothing had come down yet, which is why I'm trying to see if there's something I can do.  Thanks, but when I compose a memo which I expect to be taken seriously, I make sure to research it.  Hence what I'm doing now.  And hence what I'll be doing on the DIN tomorrow.  We've been looking for paperwork for weeks about this, and there have been no CANFORGENS forthcoming, nor have there been any other regulatory documents specific to Trenton.

And to Yak...  I may be young, and only a couple years in, but I'm not stupid enough to go off half-cocked or ill-advised.  I know how a chain of command works, and without you knowing who I've already discussed this with in my chain, you can't make judgment calls on me like that.  My Mcpls have all been very helpful, but as I said in my first post, I've hit a brick wall with this, and I've been exploring other options with this topic.  And trust me, I've read the standing orders. 

Sparkplugs said:
If there were CFAO's etc for Trenton out on this, I wouldn't be asking for options.  I said nothing had come down yet, which is why I'm trying to see if there's something I can do.  Thanks, but when I compose a memo which I expect to be taken seriously, I make sure to research it.  Hence what I'm doing now.  And hence what I'll be doing on the DIN tomorrow.  We've been looking for paperwork for weeks about this, and there have been no CANFORGENS forthcoming, nor have there been any other regulatory documents specific to Trenton.

Have you read the Wing Standing orders ? Also make sure you have gone through about a year's worth of wing routine orders.

Hey, no offense intended.

I just want to make sure you've crossed your t's and dotted the i's before it goes farther than it needs to.

yak said:
Hey, no offense intended.

I just want to make sure you've crossed your t's and dotted the i's before it goes farther than it needs to.

None taken, I read your post as more hostile than you intended....  :salute:

CDN Aviator said:
Have you read the Wing Standing orders ? Also make sure you have gone through about a year's worth of wing routine orders.

This is definitely new.  The only paperwork at all, that has shown up here, was a random email printed out that said they were considering putting everyone in shacks on rations, and those de-linked, would only be able to do so for a 3 month grace period.  This was last year, and it's all that has come down so far that we've seen here.  Now, there could be paperwork out there, and tomorrow, I'm going to head into work and see if I can dig something up.  If I can't, I have my ammo.  If I can, well, I'll be asking for my 3 months, and saving up for a place.

Sparkplugs said:
This is definitely new. 

Like i said, you have to go beyond the obvious sources of regulations. Heck, even the Wing buisness play contain the answer or even contain the reference for the answer. Sometimes financial policy decisions are delegated to the Wing/Base commaders and are not found in National policy documents other than a breif mention along the lines of " Wing/Base commanders are authorized to manage R&Q policy in as it best suist local conditions" or something along those lines. for example. You can bet that if an email was senannouncing this, theres a peice of official paper on the Wing that details it.

What do i know however........i'm crusty, cranky and have been doing this for far too long.......

Back