• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Signals Officer

Hi Dave, I'm in the same situation as you. I'm applying to join the reserves as a Signals Officer as well. Not sure if I'll go Regular eventually but an idea of the career path would help me decide. Hope you get some answers soon, and won't mind sharing with me and Janie.  ;D

I'm actually interested in hearing about what happened to you two, did you guys decide to go sigs or how did everything unfold?

Hey, I've been looking into the forces for a few years now as I am 16 I want to make a decision to pick a lasting career. I have been gathering a lot information on jobs that seem interesting to me; I've posted in these forums a few years back, I've joined cadets, surfed the forces websites, etc.
I talked to my brother who is an Aerospace Engineer in the Air Force and he is disgusted by the idea of me wanting to join the Army. He has tired to discourage me from joining by telling me all the downs and how crappy the life style is, I'll be stationed far away from family, there are crazy traditions, etc. He did however accept that if I was serious he'd help me, he told me to pick a career that I am interested in, and make sure that the career can carry on into the civilian world in-case the military doesn't work out.

1. Signals Officer
2. Combat Engineer or Engineering Officer

These are my top 2/3. I've looked into them into some detail and have a pretty good understanding of what the do and there job description and it seems pretty interesting to me. However I have a few questions and conflicts.

Engineering Officer requires a degree in Engineering which will be very difficult and require a lot of hard work which is why I am leaning to Signals. I would like to know how to get into Signals and what courses I should consider taking in high school or what special skills I should be looking at. What would be the best way to get there? Same applies to Engineering but I'd like to know is there any other way of getting in Engineering without a engineering degree? I was reading on force.ca that "Occasionally applicants with a three-year Community College Technology Diploma in Architectural Engineering, Water and Air Resources, Heating and Air Conditioning, Civil Engineering, Communication Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering are considered" How well would these applicants stand up against someone with a Bachelors and how would I get here?

Any input would be helpful, sorry for the lengthy message.

A.Khan said:
I'll be stationed far away from family,

I'm RCAF and i am posted 5000km from my hometown. Sounds like your brother doesn't know too much about the Army, the Air Force or the military in general.

very difficult and require a lot of hard work

Thankfully, the CF don't require people who can do difficult things or hard work. In fact we prefer people who avoid that kind of thing. Oh wait.........

I don't know where your from, but an option in the Vancouver area might to head to BCIT and join one of the Engineer units there until your ready for the Regs. 

I say BCIT's program because I know that they have an Engineering Diploma that feeds directly into their Bachelors.  If the going gets to be too much, you can step out after two years with a piece of paper (I wish I knew this 20 years ago).  Other schools, particularly technical schools  might have this as well.

I am an aspiring soldier and I take strong exception to what you refer to as "crazy traditions". Every military unit (be it an element, regiment, battalion or even a platoon) has its own traditions. Some of these traditions are hundreds of years old. Members take pride in this legacy. While some of these traditions may not be agreeable to others or even to those within the same unit, they are to be respected.

Did they not teach you this in Cadets? I feel sorry for the squadron that you are in. As for your brother - I highly doubt that he is indeed an officer in the CF, or if he is then he surely does not seem to possess any OLQs (officer-like-qualities).

Do us a favour and consider another profession. The CF have already spent a couple of thousands on putting your through the Cadets program. There are tons of civilian careers where you can be pushing files and never have to set foot outside your local community.

As said before, I am not a soldier as yet. Any serving or retired members are welcome to correct me.

^Please calm down.  Your first post here being an attack doesn't exactly demonstrate your fine qualities either.

To original poster.

If you seriously think an engineering degree is going to be too much work maybe you should consider something different.  I graduated with a mechanical engineering degree and am now trying to joing the reserves as an EME officer.  On my first day in class one of my professors (who became one of my favourite professors) told the entire class to "look to your left and look to your right, only one of you is going to graduate."  I became friends with the two guys I was sitting beside and I was the only one who graduated (one of the guys did end up getting his degree this year though but 3 years after I got mine).  Tons of people drop out of engineering and if you are already afraid of the work load you probably aren't going to succeed until you've had a chance to discipline yourself.  Also an Engineering Officer is probably one of the more difficult officer positions so I am sure those courses wouldn't be a cakewalk either.

Maybe you should reconsider your selections and look at some NCM positions.  I can see that your brother being an officer he would encourage you to do the same but maybe it's not for you.  There are a lot more NCM positions that officer positions to choose from (although I can't comment on the availability of those positons) but you might find something that is more interesting.

Good luck.

To Allgunzblazing and CDN Aviator: I apologize if I had offended you by posting that comment. Obviously my brother didn't actually beat down on any elements he just doesn't want me to have a hard time and to be successful in life. Besides I paraphrased, I only remembered some key stuff he said and strung it together and posted it. I will change it so I don't offend anyone in the future, but seriously take it easy... I didn't make this thread for you guys to express your opinion on some random topic, I created it to get some advice and suggestions to help me find a career in the forces or steer me in a better direction..

To Animatronic Fireman and pfinlayson: Thanks for your help I apperciate it. I awknowledge that engineering is a lot of work, and thanks for putting it into perspective (Fireman), however if I decide that an officer, or engineering is the field I want to go in I will try my hardest. That being said I am still deciding, I am hoping to hear more about the signals officer trade. Anyway Thanks a lot your advice helped me.

A.Khan said:
didn't make this thread for you guys to express your opinion on some random topic, I created it to get some advice and suggestions to help me find a career in the forces or steer me in a better direction..

I was not commenting on some random topic. You got garbage advice from your brother and I was helping you by setting things straight.

CDN Aviator said:
I was not commenting on some random topic. You got garbage advice from your brother and I was helping you by setting things straight.

Hm, thanks for setting thing straight. But unless you can provide some actual advice or suggestions (which shouldn't be hard for you since you have an impressive military history) I don't thing your actually "helping" me out. 

To A.Khan - I sincerely apologize for the acidic tone of my message.

As for the question about choosing an occupation - choose a trade that you would really like to be in till retirement. I have found the staff in the RC to be exceptionally professional and helpfull. They will never try to "sell" a trade because it is currently understrength. Another option to consider is visiting the local Signals and Combat Engineers squadrons. If you tell them your dilemma, the staff there will gladly arrange a time when you can visit the squadron and know more about the job. Even if the nearest unit is a Reserve one and you tell them that you're a Reg Force candidate, chances are high that they will be most helpfull. I say this from personal experience.

All the best.

I've been scrolling through this site for about a week straight now trying to get more information on Signals Officers. There is a lot of information on signals operators but doesn't answer my questions. I know that training occurs in Kingston but there is no mention of how long the training is there for an officer. Does anyone know?

Also I'm interested in hearing what people like or dislike about the trade? I've applied for it this year and am waiting to be processed but I would just like to be as prepared as possible as far as what to expect.

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you

Try using Google to search the site for your answers:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+signals+officer&gbv=2&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+signals+officer&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=1141l8295l0l8529l38l38l2l24l0l1l453l1516l0.5.2.0.1l8l0

We have a whole Communications and Electronics Branch board on this forum that probably has quite a bit of information on Signal Officer.

I have been searching high and low for the current course progression for new Reserve Sig O's. including the length of each phase/mod.

Most of my findings have been very outdated. Is anyone up on this?

According to the CFSCE site, BSOC Mod 1 is 56 training days and Mod 2 is 43 training days.  This is for both Reg and Res.

Just pulled up the CFSCE Course Calendar, there seems to be confilicting information from one page to another.  The Sig O DP1 is 79 days (PRes Mod 1 28 Days and Mod 2 51 days).

Not sure which one is correct.

So I'm going to be a Signals officer after I graduate with my degree in Computer Engineering. (I have 2 more years until then).

I want to get my P. Eng designation from the Professional Engineers of Ontario, but we need to have 48 months of professional engineering experience (12 of which must be from within Canada).

I have heard that as a Signals Officer I will not be exposed to "engineering" throughout my career. Is this true? Am I really going to have to leave the military to get my P. Eng?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

You wouldn't necessarily have to leave the military since there's a great variety of engineering trades within it. Instead of going sigs, you could apply for one of those.

Back