• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc

Sounds pretty good....you might want to walk aroung it once to make sure there aren't any holes that will snap your ankle in   :blotto:   Man I always enjoy running in a field...untill Mr. Skunk comes out to play...luckely I havent been sprayed yet but I've had three close calls.

As for running in mukluks....thats pretty much all I use in the winter when the snow isn't "wet" or slushy. When that happens I ussually wear polypro socks and wool or fleece socks with my jungle boots. Sure they get wet....but there still warm amd I dry them out after and I havn't had any blisters doing it yet.

I have a question regarding running....
A lot of people have said that running on a tread mill isn't the best thing out there..I was wondering about running on a track? I run the track at the gym, I haven't really been running outside. Is running on the track better then a treadmill or just as "useless"?

-KaT

I have a question regarding running....
A lot of people have said that running on a tread mill isn't the best thing out there..I was wondering about running on a track? I run the track at the gym, I haven't really been running outside. Is running on the track better then a treadmill or just as "useless"?

Truth is that treadmill work will help you lose fat quicker due to the ability to change the incline. I train religiously with it but for endurance, street is good, the constant alterating inclines and the fat your moving towards a destination makes it better to keep at it. I find treadmills are excellent for developing cardiovascular training due to the ability to create a better load ( incline).  Use both for maximal results.

I find running down streets and sidewalks way better. When you run on a treadmill you stay in one spot and wait till you've had enough but running outdoors gives you a goal to get somewhere and back and the time seems to go by faster.

If it hasn't been said already, try doing secretaries and trunk twists. I always make sure I do these before I go out running.

Secretaries stretch out your abs and your back. It eliminates most ab craming (cramps near the stomach as well) that happen to me while running distance.

What you do is, sit down on your butt and put your legs straight out. Now, take the left foot and put it over your right foot so that it is in an arched position. Kind of like an upside down "V". Now twist your whole torso to the right. To get the other side, just put your right leg over your left and twist to the left.

:)

I've got most of the stuff I need for basic covered already from being in Taekwondo for 7 years. My resting pulse rate (as I'm typing this) is around 44bpm. For some reason when I run it goes through the roof though. Doesn't do it for anything else, just running. I can easily hit 180-190bpm after a 20minute jog at ~10kph which is terrible considering the shape I'm in when it comes to other activities. Anything I can do to fix this? Also my other question is how to avoid making a mess of my shins and back. Whenever I try to start running on a more regular basis I have to stop because my spine starts hurting whenever my foot hits the ground after about the 3rd or 4th day of training. Is this just because of poor technique?

Pushing yourself too much when you start out can stress you shins.  You have to give yourself time to warm up.  Also I get shin splints and back pain when my runners start to break down (about 6-8 months).  Also a good stretch after a run will help alleviate some problems

Guys, I've been training to get in shape since Sept. but I haven't gotten any good result. I run for 30 mins or more every other day and still nothing. If I try to climb the stairs, by the time I get to the top I'm out of breath, gasping literally.
Any tips for me, any is welcomed.

Try interval training.  Start your run and once your warmed up start the intervals.  Run your normal pace for the length of a set of power poles, then run hard to the next pole, the run a normal pace to the next pole to do a "recovery", then run hard to the next pole, and on and on and on....  I did this in a race once and ran down some people I thought I would never catch.
You might want to try hill runs.  Find a hill, not steep, just a gradual hill, one that would take you 30 to 35 sec. to run it.  Run the hill at a pace that you think you can do about 7 or 8 times. ( but have the same times or better on each run).  Run up the hill then turn and slow run or jog (I hate that word) down.  Let yourself recover about a minute the do it again.  If you work this into a once a week routine you will start to see a difference in your cardio and your ability to recover quicker.
There is another exercise you can do with a group of people, the more the better.  Once all have warmed up keep running but all fall into a single file line.  The front guy paces the pack. The guy at the back sprints to the front and starts to pace the pack. Then the (new) last guy sprints to the front and paces the pack and so on and so on.  The more runners there is the more dynamic the paces can be.  The idea is not to run the guts out of everybody; its to sprint and recover.  Again this will benefit cardio and recovery times.

Couple of questions here that I didn't see in the previous postings.  I've been running for a couple of years and I've never had this happen before:
1)  Recently when I hit the 5km mark on my runs I have been getting SHARP pains in my abs, not the runners cramps but just an overall front to back sharp pain. If I stop it immediatly goes away and doesn't return till the next time I run OR if I run through it 2-3 km later it hits me again.  I haven't changed my diet or water intakes at all and I keep well hydrated ( I also run 12-13km a day).  I talked to a couple of my buddies in the infantry and they've never had anything like this happen before.  Another friend of mine is ex airborne and he had it happen years ago but can't remember how he got rid of it (if this helps at all I also do ALOT of abdominal work daily and have been heavy into weights and overall fitness for the last couple of years).

2)  I went to the states over Xmas, luggage got lost and had to change running shoes.  Thus, my feet got blisters no biggy.  However, my one foot the blister was on the outside from mid arch to mid small toe and curved under the little toe.  It eventually hardened and was fine.  Over the weekend it cracked under the joint to where it joins the foot and has made every step a new meaning of pain.  Any ideas how to treat this??

Hey everyone,

I just have a quick question about wear and tear on running shoes. I've read on here to replace running shoes about every 6-8 months, assuming that someone uses them regularly but only when running. I use my running shoes for daily wear, and haven't been running all that much lately *hangs head in shame*. Would this have any impact on how long my shoes are good for?

They're pretty good quality shoes too, New Balance ones I got at the Running Room, if that makes any difference.

Thanks. 

I just looked into this  :)

on avg. shoes for running are good for 300-400 miles.  Walking shoes if used for everyday are good for 600 or so miles.  This isn't to say that once you hit this you throw them out.  Thats just the mark where the shock absorption starts to really degrade.

Hi guys,
I love running but hate timing myself on the 2.4 km run!  I get all nervous before I do it because I know this run is a measure of my ability.  Anyways, my question is how do I run the 2.4 km? 

Do I push hard at a continuous pace throughout?
Do I insert fast intervals throughout, or at the end? 
Do I run normal halfway and then push it the last km? 

The last time I checked I did it in 12:33.  I am turning 30 this summer so I am not too far off my minimum qualification but I will not settle for minimums and so I am striving to keep up with the younger lads and complete it in 10 min!!!!  I am going for DEO infantry officer and hopefully will be in for next september.  I'd love to strive for top athlete award just to keep me striving and not settle for a basic fitness level!

Your comments would be appreciated, especially from those who can do the 2.4km quicker than me.

Hoote

I can do the 2.4 km in 10:12 and when I run I use intervals I find it helps me run better and I'm not concentrating on one pace I can vary them.

Thanks for the reply!
how long are your intervals?

Hoote

My intervals are for about 2 minutes. o I go from a medium pace to a sprint then to a slow jog then I repeat the intervals over until finished. Hope this helps and have fun running!! :D

What I do for intervals is either: I jog or walk quickly for half the distance I just ran (400m of walking for an 800m run) which works good on a track or if you have a method of being able to judge distance somewhat accurately, like telephone poles, or walk/jog for the same time that you ran (I am training to run a 3:20 hr marathon, so I run 800m in 3:20 mins, and then walk for 3:20.... if you do this 10 times (800m running at 3:20 pace, then 3:20 walk/jog, repeated 10 times), this will really improve your endurance and speed). The key for this is to pace yourself, and you want to be able to do the 10th repetition in the same time as the first (ie. don't try to kill yourself on the first 2 or 3, and then have no energy for the last 1 or 2).

It may seem very difficult, and it can be, but there is nothing saying that you have to run fast (BTW, at the pace I use, with warmups and cooldowns, it takes over an hour (10 times 6:40 (3:20 times 2) is...... well, it's over 60 minutes, just for the workout.). Try 5:00 mins for the 800m the first few times, and knock off 5 or 10 seconds until you can do all 10 reps in the same time. If you are doing this on a track, learn to use your split time/lap feature on the good ol' Ironman you are probably wearing. I have been wearing them forever, and never bothered to learn how to use this feature until I started trying this method. You have to follow the 2% rule: you have to be 2% smarter than the thing you are ttrying to get to work.....

Al

Currently I am in preparation to join the reserves in my home city of Calgary. I have been training for a few months now but I would like to know what you men in the military would suggest is best regiment of training in order that I will be ready.
At this moment in time I jog for half an hour, I do 120 push up's 180 sit up's and I lift my bar bell with my legs and arms 40x2. I do this every day religiously, any suggestions comments?

I've got a bit of a problem when I run. I have aches in the inner arches of both feet, and the outside of my right foot. I may just need new shoes, but I think I may need to get special insoles or something. I felt this last summer when I was on course (IAP), but I toughed it out. I've been getting back into running recently and this ache is what is telling me to slow down/stop after 15-20 mins on the treadmill at 6.3 mph. I can't imagine that the shoes are worn out. When I bought the shoes, the guy at the running room watched me run, and recommended a neutral shoe (as opposed to one that rolls the foot inwards or outwards), and thats what I bought. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I figure its best to address this before I do some permanent damage to my feet/legs/etc.

Back