• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc

Thanks all,

I did some searching online and came up with a decent program that I think will work really well for me. I understand now how it is possible to do a 5k run in one shot, but it still all seems so fantastic at this point. I guess I'll know what it's all about in 6 weeks once I've completed the program.

Archangel, hrmm, the way you spell it reminds me of a guy I used to play Action Quake 2 with, he lived in Nova Scotia.

Anyways, as for the running, 5k is easy.  You'll find it easy quickly enough yourself.

Don't worry about it too much however.  I'm just starting my 4th week here at BMQ in Saint-Jean and roughly 20% of my platoon could'nt run all of our 2k morning run on the 2nd week.  It resulted in our companies warrant shouting at us in french because he couldn't think of the words in English fast enough.

Anywho, like others have said, find a trainning program and stick with it.  Hell, just running progressively more and more every day will result in an increase fairly rapidly if your in decent health.

Best of luck.

Hey guys 14 days left until I start BMQ Regs. I was just woundering if you guys could give me a list of what you think would be the best brand of running shoe to have for BMQ. Thanks alot

Im not sure if we are allowed to recommend certain brands over others.

So Ill just say that my runners ryhme with "Basics". And Ive had them for 3 years now and Ive put well over a 100 miles on 'em. They'll be retiring next week. For a new pair of the same brand.

And I prefer Adidas.

Best bet, go to your local shoe store and get a set that fits comfortable, that you can see having last you for a while. Don't go spending 200 bucks on a set, be practical, they're for training, not to impress the ladies.

It doesnt really matter as long as they are cross training or running shoes. Stay away form Nike though, their shoes are all for show...

Find a pair that is comfortable and you think will work well. I've found though that Adidas are really good and Nikes were pretty narrow and gave me some good blisters. Don't go by just price though, if you go cheap you'll regret it later.

My advice, which I should have followed myself, is to buy from a store with a good return policy.  Some of the better athletics stores will allow you to try the shoes for a specific amount of time to try them out.  Others, on the other hand, will not allow a return if there has been any wear to the shoe at all.  I bought a pair of runners not long ago and they are the worst shoes I've ever tried.  My right foot actually starts to go numb after a few km.  I've gone back to my old Pumas in the meantime and I love them (unfortunately falling apart now).  A costly mistake that won't happen twice.

Also, find a store that caters to the serious running crowd, rather than the "aren't these sneakers cool" crowd. Talk to an experienced staff member to have your feet properly measured and fitted to the best shoe for you. Buy the best shoe you can afford ("best" does not necessarily mean most expensive or flashiest). Taking care of your feet now will pay dividends in the long run (pardon the pun). Minor foot irritations caused by improper or poorly fitted sneakers may not seem like a big thing now, but if you accept years of such annoyances you can end up with more serious foot or joint problems later.

Benoit said:
Hey guys 14 days left until I start BMQ Regs. I was just woundering if you guys could give me a list of what you think would be the best brand of running shoe to have for BMQ. Thanks alot

Brand doesn't really matter, it's the type and fit that are important, and that depends on both your foot size and pronation.  Your best best is to go to somewhere like The Running Room or a proper store that caters to runners and buy your shoes there, because they will make sure you get the right level of support and motion control.

I personally wear Asics because they are great motion control shoes and I have severe overpronation to contend with.  Go in and get some recommendations.  You don't necessarily need to spend a fortune.  I got lucky, I had my shoes fitted by a pro shop, but then instead of paying $150 for them there, I got the previous year's model at Foot Locker on a clearance deal - thing is, the Foot Locker folks knew nothing about shoes so they could not have made the recommendation.

More money doesn't mean better though, if it's not the right shoe.

i am a cross country running for college right now and i used asics as well, great shoes but what you should do is go to a store like running room and get a foot assessment done(usually are free) they will tell you what shoe is right for your feet and trust me, it helps a lot. i used to get shin splints till i got the foot assessment done and the proper shoe for my foot. dont shop by brand, shop by whats right for your foot, thats the number one thing you can do. you will avoid injury better this way. also, another tip if you run a lot(which being in the army you will be) you should get a new pair of shoes every 6 months because they will wear down and wont be proper for your feet much longer after that. hope that helps  ;D ;D :salute:

I like New Balance shoes.  They come in all sizes and widths, cushioning, stability, or
motion control and its good for "special feet".  In BMQ, you don't really run enough
in them for it to be worth getting anything specific at a big price (just for BMQ).  You
only wear them to PT classes and after class hours.  I'd recommend focusing on
finding good cushioning insoles for the combat boots and any
blister reduction stuff (socks, med tape, second skin, etc) for the sole and the heel of
the foot.

As was mentioned in a prev post check out "The Running Room" if there is one in your town. Best advice I ever listened to.
Also they have a DND discount avail.

Good luck

About a month ago on my SQ course, they took about 20 of us down on a bus in the evening to go to the Running Room. A bunch of people had shown up with shoes that were clsoe to dying, or that had been giving them minor problems that were now getting worse, and still others had shown up (idiots) with skateboarding shoes, or that like. Mine were just plain old. The cusioning was wearing down, and I have high arches. So they took us to the Running Room - some people needed a apy advance - and I picked up a pair of Sauconys, about $120. GREAT shoes- wearing them now. They've done me well in running.

As an infantryman, if you run regularly, expect to replace your shoes every 4-6 months. If you DON'T run regularly- why the heck not?

Take care of your feet. After your weapon, they're your most vital tools as a soldier.

Would running twice a day instead of one be benificial or could it impede progress such as going to the gym everyday (For a the same muscle/groups) compared to giving those muscles a days rest or more?

Running twice a day isn't likely to help - rest is important because that's what allows muscle to develop, and that's what will make you more fit.  A balanced PT program is what is really vital.  Try and get your hands on the Army Fitness Manual, its program is very, very good - the results I'm getting from it are great so far.

Is the Army Fitness Manual on the offical CF cd?

I can't seem to find a link to the manual with a google search...  ???

Not sure if its on the CD or not, but try this link - http://www.army.dnd.ca/AEL/PUBS/300-008/B-GL-382/003/PT-001/B-GL-382-003-PT-001.pdf

Brihard said:
if you run regularly, expect to replace your shoes every 4-6 months.

This depends partially on the distance you run.  I believe the recommended distance at which you change out your shoes is when they have about 300 miles on them.  I have a pair of New Balance runners that -because of the way I run- will likely need to be replaced in another 6 - 8 months.  At 4-6 months they were showing almost no wear!  :)

If your runner is well-built, there is no reason it shouldn't last a year or two, depending on your running habits.  Its possible some people need new ones at 4 - 6 months.

Back